How-To: 4th gen hemi cam installation

Ram1500Josh2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have researched and read they are getting roughly 30hp, I looked for the under drive damper but its another 450 dollars, this project keeps going up in price. I think I might just trade it in lol. Looks like I be driving a civic till I can get a new Ram

Here is the great Debate, Ramily.... IS there a such thing as a hell cat lifter. After some in depth research it seems they are the same lifters for every hemi built after 2015. Apparently Chrysler knew the flaws in the lifters and beefed them up. Thoughts on this ?

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Here is the great Debate, Ramily.... IS there a such thing as a hell cat lifter. After some in depth research it seems they are the same lifters for every hemi built after 2015. Apparently Chrysler knew the flaws in the lifters and beefed them up. Thoughts on this ?

Surprised this didn't spark discussion. I like the the term hellcat lifter and I'm about to drop 16 of em in my truck. I sure the f hope they're different because I'm doing this due to a presumed failed lifter.

I'll somewhat know in the next 24 hours, mine is an early '16 and I'll definitely be comparing to see who's needle is bigger.

I've also read "the fix" was implemented in mid 16 so your info may be correct with slight adjustment to the date.

Yours is the only details I've heard of for what "the fix" was and by far the easiest fix from the possibilities of what a fix could have been.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
This is what I got thus far from Greene Racing

.5 HL .5 Thump Cam, custom locators, shims, phaser limiter, lightweight retainers, hardened pushrods, full set of Hellcat lifters and PAC 1211x springs.

Parts needed

Tuner: What tuner is everyone running and where can I get one.
I am going to be getting all new gaskets from the dealership, Or is there a shop that sells better ones ?
ARP Headstuds
Am I missing anything here ? Should I do the underdrive pulley ?

I'd just go for the ARP head bolts instead of the studs,if you ever have to pull the heads off,you'll hate those studs,been there/done that,lol

bigrob713

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
In the OP's pictures, the rocker arm assembly appears to have wire circlips that help locate the rockers in position. Mine do not have these. Should they? I just had a bent pushrod on cylinder 6 and the rocker was off to the side of the intake valve.

gapi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
No, the angle of the push rod onto the rocker keeps it located against the square washer on the tube.

Slack may have let your push rod come out of the socket enough to be pushed by the socket lip and bend?
Bad lifter, ******* spring?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Here's a pic.
You must be registered for see images attach

How many miles on the engine? If it's getting up in milege,and you happen to have revved it fairly high ,either with your foot through the floor or a high rpm downshift and the springs are getting tired you might have ran into valve float,which will unseat the pushrod from the rocker arm,then usually the push rod becomes the weak link as it'll get jammed into the side of the push rod hole or against the rocker arm and bends.Or worst case scenero,the lifter and cam went south on you,and the lifter has dropped enough to unseat the pushrod. My 14 never had the circlips either,i don't know what year they went away from them,or if Kurtis might of added them himself.He's not on here very often anymore,you can track him down on High Performance Rams or Tuned Rams on facebook usually.You're looking for Kurtis Holland on either page. I'll tell him to check in though,he's only a 10 minute drive from me.
Just fired a message off to Kurtis,hopefully he'll check in later

Last edited: