How-To: 4th gen hemi cam installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
charonblk07

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
OP is it possible to reload the photos again?
The links are all broken.

Photobucket itself is having issues at the moment. I'll check on this tomorrow to make sure that everything's back to how it should be when their website is working again.

Last edited:

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Should be easy to do with hand tools for most people. Sweet! I can do this! Remove radiator. Well...****. I'm out.

Good how to. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
wow that was a good read. thank you for taking the time to write and photo your cam swap.

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Question? If I am going to do a cam swap down the road but my Valve-train has a lot of miles on it and is loose, can I replace the valve-train with what is needed for the cam swap but run the stock cam for now? (Only because I don't have the extra cash for the Cam yet :( )

OP
OP
charonblk07

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Question? If I am going to do a cam swap down the road but my Valve-train has a lot of miles on it and is loose, can I replace the valve-train with what is needed for the cam swap but run the stock cam for now? (Only because I don't have the extra cash for the Cam yet :( )

Springs, locators, pushrods, and keepers can be swapped at any time. Lifters can be done when the cam gets swapped.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Fantastic how to & read Sir !

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

wstacy3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will move all my photos over to Imgur and fix the links

Any luck man? Pics still not working... was hoping to reference this guide for my install

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
charonblk07

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Any luck man? Pics still not working... was hoping to reference this guide for my install

I was going to wait to see if the new forum update will allow the download of the photobucket pics direct to the forum, Booms says that's what's supposed to happen anyways. If you need it right away I'll get them swapped over tonight, it's not like I have anything better to do while stuck in camp.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I was going to wait to see if the new forum update will allow the download of the photobucket pics direct to the forum, Booms says that's what's supposed to happen anyways. If you need it right away I'll get them swapped over tonight, it's not like I have anything better to do while stuck in camp.

Hey get on it,i haven't seen the pics either:favorites13:.
You ain't missing much down here Kurtis,it's cold and rainy tonight and still smokey as hell from B.C's fires this year.

OP
OP
charonblk07

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci

Done, only took 3 hours and a bit of cursing at photobucket when I started.

Hey get on it,i haven't seen the pics either:favorites13:.
You ain't missing much down here Kurtis,it's cold and rainy tonight and still smokey as hell from B.C's fires this year.

It's done, you crotchety old *******. And I'd take the bad weather and being at home compared to the gong show that is happening up here right now.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Done, only took 3 hours and a bit of cursing at photobucket when I started.

It's done, you crotchety old *******. And I'd take the bad weather and being at home compared to the gong show that is happening up here right now.

LOL,touche:roflsquared:

wstacy3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you so much! Ill be doing a cam, springs, pushrods,ect soon

Geico

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for the best write up I have found.

Geico

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
At 150,000 miles do I need to replace the springs and push rods? I just want stock as this is my daily driver work truck.

Also, a Dodge tech told me you don't have to replace the head bolts. That doesn't make sense to me since they are "torque to yield"

OP
OP
charonblk07

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
At 150,000 miles do I need to replace the springs and push rods? I just want stock as this is my daily driver work truck.

Also, a Dodge tech told me you don't have to replace the head bolts. That doesn't make sense to me since they are "torque to yield"

The springs and rods should be fine if you don't have a cam or higher compression. The small head bolts can be reused, but the main head bolts are torque to yield. You can honestly reuse them once since the factory does a proper job torquing and turning the bolts to spec but the only way I'd recommend reusing them is if the shop measures the length of the bolts for indications of permanent elongation. A set of bolts is $20 on RockAuto, it's not worth the potential of having a stretched bolt put back in and having a head gasket failure later. A stretched bolt will never have the same clamping force even with the same torque spec applied.

Geico

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am leaving the engine completely stock, I need a reliable daily driver and quite frankly the Hemi is plenty of power for playing around also. My ram boxes are full of work tools and junk so I carry 100+ pounds anyway.
My question is using a tuner to turn the MDS off. What are the advantages of doing that? I can turn it off with just a click of the shift handle or turn on the Tow / Haul. Is there a benefit to disabling the MDS with a tuner?
I lost the #1 intake lifter and cam lobe which is an MDS cylinder so I'm curious if that failure is related to the MDS or just luck?

Thank you in advance for your input and comments. :favorites13: