How-to: 4th gen Ram/GM transmission (4L80e) swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShortBed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 with Magnuson Supercharger 6lbs of boost
Just got done with the 4L80E swap myself. I had a local shop do the install along with a MSD delete. The whole swap took about 6 months. TCI trans 4L80E. Same Bell housing issue with the starter, and same issue with the shift indicator lights. Right now all the gears are lit up. Still cannot manually shift the trans, but my stock shifter handle work the trans. Have about 1000 miles on it so far. How is your transmission holding up.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Just got done with the 4L80E swap myself. I had a local shop do the install along with a MSD delete. The whole swap took about 6 months. TCI trans 4L80E. Same Bell housing issue with the starter, and same issue with the shift indicator lights. Right now all the gears are lit up. Still cannot manually shift the trans, but my stock shifter handle work the trans. Have about 1000 miles on it so far. How is your transmission holding up.

Shortbed: Kurtis isn't on here much anymore,you can track him down on most of the High Performance Ram pages on facebook these days. He's on High Performance Rams and Hemi Shop Talk for sure,and you're looking for Kurtis Holland.

d_young_747

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This looks like a ton of work, I was really hoping it would be much simpler. All the talk I hear is get the adapter and module from TCI. Bolt in and everything works.

I’m not sure I could talk most mechanics into wanting to even do this job on my 09 ha

Maybe an easier Chrysler swap that’ll handle 1000hp?

Or time vs money try the ATS 545RFE Stage 5 offering?

Last edited:

ric3xrt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This looks like a ton of work, I was really hoping it would be much simpler. All the talk I hear is get the adapter and module from TCI. Bolt in and everything works.

I’m not sure I could talk most mechanics into wanting to even do this job on my 09 ha

Maybe an easier Chrysler swap that’ll handle 1000hp?

Or time vs money try the ATS 545RFE Stage 5 offering?

Look in to a 518/46rh swap, it's BOLT in , no adapters, the con of the 46rh swap is it's only 4 gears but you can control the lock up of the converter . ..................

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Look in to a 518/46rh swap, it's BOLT in , no adapters, the con of the 46rh swap is it's only 4 gears but you can control the lock up of the converter . ..................

Another option is put a 727 behind it and bolt a Gear Vendors Overdrive unit onto the 727,gives you the option of splitting gears and takes all of a couple hours to put the Gear Vendors unit on a 727.The gear vendor overdrives are virtually bullet proof and are rated to 28,000 lbs towing. I put a couple of them on 440 powered motorhomes years ago,and they aren't hard to install,and we never had one comeback.If you use them to split gears they turn a 3 speed 727 into a 6 speed with an overdrive

ric3xrt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Another option is put a 727 behind it and bolt a Gear Vendors Overdrive unit onto the 727,gives you the option of splitting gears and takes all of a couple hours to put the Gear Vendors unit on a 727.The gear vendor overdrives are virtually bullet proof and are rated to 28,000 lbs towing. I put a couple of them on 440 powered motorhomes years ago,and they aren't hard to install,and we never had one comeback.If you use them to split gears they turn a 3 speed 727 into a 6 speed with an overdrive

it's a route to that can be taken, but the 518/46Rh is bolt in, stock X-member ,stock driveshaft......no doubt about it none of these guys are making enough HP&TQ to hurt a 727 and Gear Vendors combo....

Ryan Plawucki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok iv read this sub over and over over the last year and a bit. I finally have all the parts minus the trasmission being built as my builder had some family issues. Might just try building the 46rh myself as im tired of waiting on him. Couldnt be to to bad. Right? Anyways on to my questions i realize this is an old thread but im having some issues getting the cluster to show park. Iv tried grounding the trans plug as described but without success. So i tried pinning out my trans side plug in park. I did not remove the valve body but just found continuity between pins. Tried grounding the corresponding pins on my harness but no luck. I had a resulting 8 pins with continuity. I tried multiple combination. Kinda frustrated and hate asking for help but i kinda need help. Truck is a 2012 ram 1500 r/t 2wd. Been thru 3 "built" 65rfes the last one after i put in a jay green 1.5 cam lasted 500km trucks been sitting for way to long and id like to finally drive it in the spring. Any help would be much appreciated. Or a alternative way the guys with swaps are now getting over the hurtle of the wiring. Also not sure if the other 2 plugs on the side of trans that the main connector is on are supposed to be jumped or can be left unpluged i know they hold resistance thru the sensors in the trans. Once again any help is greatly appreciated.