How to 4th Gen SLT Tow hook Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
SO there is a ton of info out there for folks who want to add tow hooks to their Sport edition etc. etc.
There is little info on how to do it on the chrome bumper of the 4th gens with dual cutouts, and the directions supplied by the dealer were lacking (and for the wrong model year) so I figured i would snap some pics for a quick DIY. I am only showing the driver side (do one side at a time!) but the process will be the same for both.

This can all be done with a basic set of deep socket wrenches and a torque wrench, and a magnetic light is handy too!

First, here are the beefy Mopar tow hooks from the dealer. Nice and heavy and seem very sturdy. If you purchased 2nd hand, make sure you have the brackets otherwise you are SOL unless you fab something yourself.

1_zpsqkurppse.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here are the replacement panel cutouts, some people were just fine cutting theirs but for under $9 it was hard to pass up these.
2_zpsaclubhky.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Get under the truck and locate where the panel cutout is.
3_zpsegthqzt4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
The dealer initally said some models with the chrome bumper is easier if you remove the bumper. Well we are gonna skip that nonesense and work around it. In the pic above, the two large bolts facing you are the bumper mount bolts that are used to help support the tow hook. That bolt on the left is what we will use to as a work around to removing the bumper.

Ok, now lets get to work.
Take off these bolts, there are two on each side of the panel cutout.
4_zpsqspglyyh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And the other side..
5_zpsbm8ak3dk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Once you get all 4 bolts removed and the panel is loose, we need to slide it out.

Here is that bolt again. Loosen it and back it off a bit. You will not need to remove it all the way, but it wont hurt if you do inadvertently.
6_zpsekvbfuqm.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Now slide the cutout panel towards the outside of the vehicle through the opening where my hand is.
7_zps1ll0y9nn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
I have seen suggestions with people trying to slide toward center but I wasnt able to get it to work, so this was my easy solution. The bolt that was loosened up allows the clearance for the panel to pass under it, and then up and through the bumper brackets. The panel will have to be worked a bit and the angle will be about as vertical as the pic above to get it out.

Good job, you got it.
8_zpsi6qoxgss.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Now install the new cutout in the reverse order that the old one was taken out. Install the 4 bolts that hold on the cutout panel.

Now its time to remove the bumper bracket nuts. The bumper will not move by just removing these nuts, so no worries if you dont have a second hand to help you.
9_zpsinmktqrj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Work the the tow hook into the cutout and onto the bumper bolts.
10_zpspwcg5u8x.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Pretty much done. All that is left is to put the bumper bolts back on and the new the bolt through the bottom of the tow hook and into the frame support. The directions say to do the bumper bolts first and then the frame bolt, but I worked them down evenly to make sure the surfaces mated well but im sure any method would be fine. Make sure you torque to specs in the directions and call it a day!
(this was my first posted DIY so be easy lol)
13_zpsra9hnvyw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
11_zpshblaitxc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
12_zpsurgsbpjr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

jzales

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice work, truck looks good.

pt1655

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
hidee ho

Great post! Thanks for taking the time to take pics and post them and how to do it!

kasualkiller094

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I love those hooks but hated the price. Picked up a used pair for an older ford or chev for $10. They arnt as strong as id like. Though f20160424_174017.jpgor the price I love em.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the compliments fellas, it was a lot easier than I thought once I got under. And they are a bit spendy but I feel they are totally worth it, these are super heavy duty and will absolutely come in handy.
No Ragrets (not even a single letter) about spending the cash for them.

Also, just got done de-chroming my front end and replacing the grille inserts for some accents
FullSizeRender_zpsfdh5s5xd.jpg

TSINND

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram 2500 6.7
Thanks for the writeup. Going to be installing mine next week.

OP
OP
D

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the writeup. Going to be installing mine next week.

Sweet! Post up some pics when you get it done, and feel free to ask if you get stuck or anything. Its pretty straightforward once you see whats going on though. I removed my lower valence while i was at it, i think it looks great on the SLTs and since I couldnt use my jack (brother took it... thanks..) i had to do it all with minimal room lol

OP
OP
D

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where did you get the cutout so cheap?!?!?!

The Lithia stealership up in Fairbanks had an unused but open box that a customer returned. They are normally about $25 online or $35 new a the dealership. I was gonna use a hot box cutter (or be talked into the cutouts for 35) until the parts dept let me know they had a cheap new set

Ram CHRYSLER OEM 13-14 1500 Front Bumper-Filler Panel 68196982AA | eBay

After having the Mopar cutouts, i would definitely recommend them vs cutting it out. Im sure it would look fine, but man these just look great

henryhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can attest that they are definitely stout. I broke two tow straps snatching smallish trees out of the ground. Tow hooks never budged.

bubbagumpshrimp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the write-up. I think I'll be ordering these soon. Are any additional fasteners required, or are you able to use the existing bolts for everything? Just wondering if I go online and order the Mopar hooks/brackets part number and the two hook cut outs...is that all I need? Thank you.:favorites13:

OP
OP
D

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the write-up. I think I'll be ordering these soon. Are any additional fasteners required, or are you able to use the existing bolts for everything? Just wondering if I go online and order the Mopar hooks/brackets part number and the two hook cut outs...is that all I need? Thank you.:favorites13:

Nope that's all you need! The mopar set comes with everything you need to Instal the hooks, except for a decent set of instructions lol.
And the cutouts come with new hardware that replace the existing hardware for the cutouts already in place (the ones without the actual center cut out that are installed on the bumper already). Since my hardware was in excellent shape, I think I just reused the old stuff and stashed the new hardware for a later project down the road.
Good luck! And post some pics up once the project is done!

Sent via telepathy

Iggy4935

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm interested in doing this but none of the photos are showing up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H3MI UP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Man I need to do this. Thanks for the write
up. Adding this to the project list. You wouldn't happen to have the part #'s would you? Also are the cutout $35 a piece or is that for both?

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm interested in doing this but none of the photos are showing up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have that issue on tapatalk or sometimes on mobile site, have you tried on a computer?

Sent via telepathy

OP
OP
D

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man I need to do this. Thanks for the right up. Adding this to the project list. You wouldn't happen to have the part #'s would you? Also are the cutout $35 a piece or is that for both?

I don't have the part numbers actually, I called the dealer and told them my vin to make sure I got the right ones. You can call,get the part number, and order online if you want to save a few bucks. Where I live it was easier and quicker to get them through the dealer.
And the cutout price is $35 per pair.

Sent via telepathy

H3MI UP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't have the part numbers actually, I called the dealer and told them my vin to make sure I got the right ones. You can call,get the part number, and order online if you want to save a few bucks. Where I live it was easier and quicker to get them through the dealer.
And the cutout price is $35 per pair.

Sent via telepathy

Thank you sir. I will go that route then

HornDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice write up. I have been thinking about the tow hooks for my truck. This makes me feel like it wont be as hard as I thought. Thanks for sharing!