How to Add Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) to a Manual Temperature Control Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was hoping for the harness itself. Adding the code I can do, build that harness it would cost me more to buy the crimper than it would be premade

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was hoping for the harness itself. Adding the code I can do, build that harness it would cost me more to buy the crimper than it would be premade

Our harness interfaces with our own 7 speed harness, not with anyone elses. You would need one of our harnesses for it to work correctly.

OP
OP
DeereGuy

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
so you guys are making the harness?

Yes we are making the harnesses. We didn't really see a huge market with the fact that you had to use the AE tool to enable it, but now that infotainment.com (Thanks Guys, a lot of members will benefit from this!) has released the genie, it will become a more popular mod. If you need a harness with ATC, let us know and we will get you one made. We are charging $5 extra per harness just to cover the parts cost.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pm me where to send the I have the ae tool collecting dust from the cooled seats. In just going to follow you around.

I don't have auto, I have the 8.4 single zone.

57buick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L diesel
It's frustrating to see company's like infotainment taking advantage of people just because they are a monopoly. Charging $199 for a genie? They have a whole $20 into it including labor and the device and then charge $200? geez

57buick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L diesel
we cant buy just the auto temp harness? What makes your conversion harnesses different that everybody else that they have made? You said we have to buy a whole new conversion harness too from you?

Our harness interfaces with our own 7 speed harness, not with anyone elses. You would need one of our harnesses for it to work correctly.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
we cant buy just the auto temp harness? What makes your conversion harnesses different that everybody else that they have made? You said we have to buy a whole new conversion harness too from you?
While I do hope they will eventually offer a multi code/upgrade option for the Genies that's better than $200 bucks a code (ie, $200 per genie & $50 per extra code), I'm glad they are offering the genie for it.

I know there have been requests for this feature since Getupkid and others started the whole 8.4 conversion idea 2+ years ago, and we have gotten regular requests since we started building them.

It's fascinating to me that separate parallel paths of thought came to the same outcome via different methods. Cool.

I can't fault them for their design choice on the harness. We debated doing the same thing by adding an extra 4 or 6 pin connector to allow "upgrade options" like the ATC Sensor but didn't want to add another cost for an additional harness when it's already steep b/c of the radio cost itself.

There really isn't a great way to add it besides building the harness from scratch with it or adding an extra (specific) connector set to allow those that want the option to plug the Sensor extension harness into (see Infotainment picture below).

There's a 3rd way that DeereGuy came up with, but it takes the same amount of time as building a complete harness.

9af466d037f05677076b188490cac531.jpg

M² Mods - From my non Flammable S7!

Last edited:

LumberJakl

Reaction score
Ram Year
'17 Sport QC
Engine
5.7L 4x4
wait WHAT!?!?! Awesome! I am doing this when I get back home from the Oilfield

57buick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L diesel
Someone in the for sale section was selling the ATC harness for $55 that just plugged inline to the current conversion harness. I also see from the diagrams and looking online for the connector and pins it would only cost me $12 to add it into my own harness.

But yea the $200 price for the genie is obvious taking advantage of being a monopoly and charging double the reasonable cost. Because where else can they go. I hate dishonest people and dishonest companys like that. That's not what the forums are supposed to be about.

While I do hope they will eventually offer a multi code/upgrade option for the Genies that's better than $200 bucks a code (ie, $200 per genie & $50 per extra code), I'm glad they are offering the genie for it.

I can't fault them for their design choice on the harness. We debated doing the same thing by adding an extra 4 or 6 pin connector to allow "upgrade options" like the ATC Sensor but didn't want to add another cost for an additional harness when it's already steep b/c of the radio cost itself.

There really isn't a great way to add it besides building the harness from scratch with it or adding an extra (specific) connector set to allow those that want the option to plug the Sensor extension harness into (see Infotainment picture below).

There's a 3rd way that DeereGuy came up with, but it takes the same amount of time as building a complete harness.

9af466d037f05677076b188490cac531.jpg

LumberJakl

Reaction score
Ram Year
'17 Sport QC
Engine
5.7L 4x4
For anyone who does not want to have to deal with the possibility of the AE Tool corrupting part of your vehicle configuration, we have released a OBD Genie Programmer that will simply change the vehicle config to the Single Zone Automatic once you have the sensor and applicable wiring installed.

But say if I wanted to do it myself, would I just need to purchase the PC-Based Scan Tool from Autoenginuity?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
But say if I wanted to do it myself, would I just need to purchase the PC-Based Scan Tool from Autoenginuity?
Yep. Just shy of $500 USD. . . and it will corrupt some of your vehicle configuration settings in the BCM as mentioned in the OP (maybe others), but you can also do other things with it, like change tire size (limited selection of OEM 17, 18, & 20"), activate foglights, backup camera, compass heading display, etc.

Unless someone else comes to market with an OBD type flash tool, the OBDgenie is the only 'reliable' way to load some Ram features (like ATC) without negative side effects.
Supply vs Demand - 'Merica!

Last edited:

57buick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L diesel
Sounds like that is the most cost effective way is to buy the AE tool yourself. Since you will pay $200 for the Genie anyway. which is half the cost of the auto ingenuity tool Or else find somebody in town that has the tool

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
Sounds like that is the most cost effective way is to buy the AE tool yourself. Since you will pay $200 for the Genie anyway. which is half the cost of the auto ingenuity tool Or else find somebody in town that has the tool

And it will also corrupt part of the vehicle config FWIW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

57buick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L diesel
I just ordered the pins and connector to modify my harness and bought the sensor on ebay. I'm thinking I might go ahead and buy the AE tool so I can use it for other things in the future plus its a great troubleshooting tool if you ever have problems with your truck

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Whipple 5.7 • SmoothBoost!
$200 per genie & $50 per extra code...

Sooo, If I want the powerfold mirror genie, and then add the C.D. player activation, the SD card activation, and the ATC temperature control, I am at $450.00 ? :crazy:

ngiovas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
A few questions about this upgrade:

1. If you turn the ATC off again, does it restore the themes, or is it permanent?
  2. I asssume the corruption is in a module other than the radio so that reflashing the radio won't fix it?
  3. What happens if you go into the settings section of the radio where you normally select the theme? Is the option still there?

Just curious before I make this update.

OP
OP
DeereGuy

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
A few questions about this upgrade:

1. If you turn the ATC off again, does it restore the themes, or is it permanent?
  2. I asssume the corruption is in a module other than the radio so that reflashing the radio won't fix it?
  3. What happens if you go into the settings section of the radio where you normally select the theme? Is the option still there?

Just curious before I make this update.

The corruption actually occurs in the body control module. The radio seems to read the vehicle brand to determine what logo and themes to display. You can connect to the Media center module and set the logo back to RAM and get the themes and logos back. As far as turning the setting back off, it seems to be a one way street. Once it's corrupted, there's no way to fix it with the AE tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk