How to Add Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) to a Manual Temperature Control Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wargz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, great work gentleman. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, really want to do this mod.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck has the factory 8.4N, 2014 Bighorn. Added Automatic Temp control with the harness from Deereguy. Took all of 5 minutes to install and setup. Im not exaggerating, it took me longer to think about doing it than actually doing it.

The harness looks like it came with the truck, and the wire is about 18 inches longer than needed. This gives you a lot of routing options through the center dash. I was able to run it straight through with the help of my old antenna, but you could run it behind the AV system if you wanted.

Great work guys, now figure out dual zone and my wife will actually like my truck. It took running boards and heated leather to make her tolerate it. Leather heated and cooled seats is also from the help of many here on the forum in the how to add heated/cooled leather seats.

wargz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great to hear that, well I guess it is time to order an harness !

ncgrl1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 RAM LongHorn 4x4
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
My truck has the factory 8.4N, 2014 Bighorn. Added Automatic Temp control with the harness from Deereguy. Took all of 5 minutes to install and setup. Im not exaggerating, it took me longer to think about doing it than actually doing it.

The harness looks like it came with the truck, and the wire is about 18 inches longer than needed. This gives you a lot of routing options through the center dash. I was able to run it straight through with the help of my old antenna, but you could run it behind the AV system if you wanted.

Great work guys, now figure out dual zone and my wife will actually like my truck. It took running boards and heated leather to make her tolerate it. Leather heated and cooled seats is also from the help of many here on the forum in the how to add heated/cooled leather seats.

Did you still have to use the AE tool with the 8.4N screen?

OP
OP
DeereGuy

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Did you still have to use the AE tool with the 8.4N screen?

Yes or better yet get the genie from infotainment. The code needs to be added to the BCM to flip it over to ATC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes needed the AE tool, but the genie would have been just as good. Already having the tool or was best for me. Works great so far. Thanks again guys.

Last edited:

ngiovas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Moving my question to this thread. After completing the 8.4" conversion, including the new bezel and ATC, I ran into an issue where I was getting a check engine light and several DTCs.

Everything in the system is currently working as it should. Auto Temp Control is fully operating, both on the bezel and the touchscreen. I am not seeing any other issues when operating the vehicle (except the CEL). I even still have my RAM theme on the head unit after activating the ATC.

Some of the DTCs that are present:

HVAC module mismatch for vehicle type.
center stack mismatch for vehicle type
right air handler door range too short.

DeereGuy asked me to confirm the brand setting in the BCM. It was in fact wrong. It was set to Dodge and I also found that the model year setting was set to 2060. I corrected both. After doing this, the single zone ATC was reset to single zone MTC. I set it back to ATC and everything was working correctly.

I then went in and read the DTCs. The same ones were still present. I cleared them and the CEL went away. I cycled the ignition once and it was still gone, but after the second restart it reappears. I can repeat this process wit the same result.

So, where I am at right now is everything working but still having the CEL. Hopefully I can correct that last item.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Thanks for bringing your issue over here. This is also worth mentioning ...
.... The other issue I am having is that about a week ago when I got AutoEnginuity I set the brand to Jeep just to test it out and the radio switched. Now I can't get it to switch back to Ram. I don't know if I am setting it in the wrong place? I tried both on the media hub and within the BCM.

You will likely not be able to fix this issue without going to the dealer to have your original vehicle config reflashed to the BCM. The AE tool can't fix this once it's done.

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Just as an aside for those considering using the AutoEngenuity tool vs the OBDgenie method...
Just be aware, the more you go tinkering around in the other settings with the AE tool the worse things can get, fast. It's simply not reliable for things beyond what has been specifically detailed by the few who have one and were willing to risk their own trucks to find out the hard way.

EDIT: there is also some debate on whether or not it reads out all the OEM settings correctly, ie my 2013 CC 4x4 truck shows as "passenger, Fwd, Rest of World, 2060 MY" vs "4dr truck, 4x4, USA, 2013 MY" that I'd expect to see.

Yes. I can't emphasize this enough. If anybody wants to play with something that hasn't been discussed and verified OK here, I urge you to at least ask first. I've messed with a lot of stuff and in the process found a lot of dangers with the AE tool. I have broken something that couldn't be reversed without the dealer on multiple occasions.

M² Mods - From my non Flammable S7!

ngiovas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
OK, lesson learned. Hopefully I can get it flashed Monday or Tuesday.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
OK, lesson learned. Hopefully I can get it flashed Monday or Tuesday.
Please know that I'm not trying to give you a hard time Nick, we just want to ensure others seriously consider the risks with the AE tool and weigh their options carefully.

M² Mods - From my non Flammable S7!

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for bringing your issue over here. This is also worth mentioning ...

You will likely not be able to fix this issue without going to the dealer to have your original vehicle config reflashed to the BCM. The AE tool can't fix this once it's done.

I agree. I doubt the tool will be able to reverse what it has done. I think the best and safest option would be to take the truck to the dealer and get it reflashed. I think at this point the more things you tried to correct with the tool the more more problems it will most likley create.

Last edited:

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes the AE tool can you in deep real fast. So far ive poked around to see, but the only changes Ive made were only ones listed in the forum. The cooled/heated seats, as well the automatic climate. For the price its amazing, but in the wrong hands its dangerous. Anyone local I will help out, where i was going to rent mine out, but in the wrong hands its a terrible idea.

Rut Row

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
...put it all together using an existing 8.4 conversion harness
Perhaps I missed it, but is this an additional item or is that the name of the existing cable? Is there a thread about said harness?

Also where are the connectors on the vehicle itself? I'm assuming we make the pigtail that goes to the existing wiring. Pics of the existing wiring would be helpful.

I have a '16 Big Horn with a factory 8.4N

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have the factory 8.4 M2mods( a vendor on the forum) can make you a harness to incorporate into your existing harness. You would need the harness plus the ambient temp sensor you mount to your knee bolster under your steering wheel. After it is all said and done you will need to add the code in order for it to work. Since I am assuming you don't have the AE tool you will need to purchase a OBD genie from infotainment a vendor on the forum to enable the code in your BCM.

Rut Row

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
If you have the factory 8.4 M2mods( a vendor on the forum) can make you a harness to incorporate into your existing harness. You would need the harness plus the ambient temp sensor you mount to your knee bolster under your steering wheel. After it is all said and done you will need to add the code in order for it to work. Since I am assuming you don't have the AE tool you will need to purchase a OBD genie from infotainment a vendor on the forum to enable the code in your BCM.

thanks, that helps. Is there a thread showing the schematic to do that? I'm capable of making the harness. Also wondering where it plugs into on the vehicle side. But I'll ask M2mods anyway - if it is cheap enough I'll just buy it.

OP
OP
DeereGuy

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
thanks, that helps. Is there a thread showing the schematic to do that? I'm capable of making the harness. Also wondering where it plugs into on the vehicle side. But I'll ask M2mods anyway - if it is cheap enough I'll just buy it.

The schematic and all the parts you need is in post 1 of this thread. You basically have to splice 2 wires and add 2 wires to the connector that plugs into the HVAC module. To access the HVAC module, remove the lower glove box, and you will find it up and towards the passenger door. I'll see if I can find a picture for you and post it.

Rut Row

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
The schematic and all the parts you need is in post 1 of this thread. You basically have to splice 2 wires and add 2 wires to the connector that plugs into the HVAC module. To access the HVAC module, remove the lower glove box, and you will find it up and towards the passenger door. I'll see if I can find a picture for you and post it.

thanks. I got your PM too. Although I can make harnesses, I'm getting old and lazy.

I used to race road-racing sidecars and I've built several complete harnesses for it over the years. Like I said, I'm getting old and lazy and don't mind rewarding your efforts.

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

DeerGuy just let me know what I need to do to purchase a harness from you and i'll get it done. Yours will probably look more professional than mine anyway, lol.