How to Add Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) to a Manual Temperature Control Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jkieffer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I just noticed that something flashed. I now have a rear climate button. I didn't have that before. Could the sensor be bad and that is what keeps the automatic button from showing up?

20170616_071953-L.jpg

I have the same exact issue, will be calling on Monday to see what they recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
DeereGuy

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
At this point I would suggest that anyone who bought an ATC harness or a MTC to ATC conversion harness off of us and purchased the genie to activate the code, to contact infotainment before using the genie to see if your genie is affected by this issue. I know that several of our customers were going to or had purchased the genie with plans to activate this mod.

walker111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So does this genie stay in the obd port? Or just there to program? What is the other option? Pros and cons of both?

200 bucks for this genie is making the already expensive 8.4 upgrade even more excessive.

Dealership can't change the BCM?

How frowned upon is all of this to FCA?

Rut Row

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
So does this genie stay in the obd port? Or just there to program? What is the other option? Pros and cons of both?

can't address the other questions but no, the Genie is used once then removed.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

200 bucks for this genie is making the already expensive 8.4 upgrade even more excessive.

Dealership can't change the BCM?

How frowned upon is all of this to FCA?

Once the Genie does its job you can put it in the glove box. The reason you keep it is if the dealer flashes new firmware and blows out the custom programming, you plug the genie back in and it does its job again.

Dealers can make some changes, there are a few factors that come into play. If they are willing to do so, how much they can charge you, and if the tools they have will allow them to. There is a process but in many cases they can customize some things for you.

If FCA is anything like Ford they are not huge fans of someone in there messing around with the programming they spent thousands of hours and millions of dollars in some cases working out the bugs. This is because they are paid to make it work without hitch, then we go in and add what we think should be right and it no longer functions, and who do we blame first? We always blame them and not our own selves.

BMW on the other hand, there are tools where I can add and subtract options just like BMW would for free on the internet. Ive modified hundreds and I mean hundreds of BMW's and never once has a BMW dealer even mentioned it. Ive added Alpina codes to the cars and again, BMW knows they are there as all that is stored in the key that they scan on every visit, but they just dont care.

Really at the end of the day, you are installing something aftermarket. Regardless if it was an option, its wasnt on the truck, and you at the end of the day are responsible for the outcome good or bad. So far the few guys that are at the front lines adding things to their own daily drivers are being "safe" about it. They even caution others on what not to do and to only follow what worked for them. Follow the leader, do not stray from the pack, and this will keep you "safer".

If they figure out how to add true dual zone I will remove my dash today and order parts, as well push button start. So far the guys here leading the path have only done me right. If they ask me to do something on my truck to test it out, I will do so without hesitation, but I will follow the directions perfectly.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Once the Genie does its job you can put it in the glove box. The reason you keep it is if the dealer flashes new firmware and blows out the custom programming, you plug the genie back in and it does its job again.

Dealers can make some changes, there are a few factors that come into play. If they are willing to do so, how much they can charge you, and if the tools they have will allow them to. There is a process but in many cases they can customize some things for you.

If FCA is anything like Ford they are not huge fans of someone in there messing around with the programming they spent thousands of hours and millions of dollars in some cases working out the bugs. This is because they are paid to make it work without hitch, then we go in and add what we think should be right and it no longer functions, and who do we blame first? We always blame them and not our own selves.

BMW on the other hand, there are tools where I can add and subtract options just like BMW would for free on the internet. Ive modified hundreds and I mean hundreds of BMW's and never once has a BMW dealer even mentioned it. Ive added Alpina codes to the cars and again, BMW knows they are there as all that is stored in the key that they scan on every visit, but they just dont care.

Really at the end of the day, you are installing something aftermarket. Regardless if it was an option, its wasnt on the truck, and you at the end of the day are responsible for the outcome good or bad. So far the few guys that are at the front lines adding things to their own daily drivers are being "safe" about it. They even caution others on what not to do and to only follow what worked for them. Follow the leader, do not stray from the pack, and this will keep you "safer".

If they figure out how to add true dual zone I will remove my dash today and order parts, as well push button start. So far the guys here leading the path have only done me right. If they ask me to do something on my truck to test it out, I will do so without hesitation, but I will follow the directions perfectly.

We've looked into the Push To Start and its just not worth it to do. You have to replace the front 2 door handles, run wiring from both front doors, add sensor in the center console, run wiring from the center console, and terminate all connections to the Wireless Module on the back of the cab + get a new module and new keys. Parts alone are close to $1K dealer price.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We have determined what other orders were effected by the glitch in our programming station and have sent out replacements to anyone effected. Should arrive in ~2 days. Tracking should be in your email.

walker111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry you do not like our pricing, but we have no plans at the moment of changing it. Some of our Genies can do stuff the AE cant do so why should the price not reflect that?

Yea, we see that. But the AE tool doesn't keep charging you, It's a one time cost. It's totally alright to tell the truth, most folks who have half a brain already know it. You've got something that no one else has, so ****** the **** outta people is the only logical answer.

I more than likely will be one of your victims....I'm just gonna stew about it for a little while.

Rut Row

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
Yea, we see that. But the AE tool doesn't keep charging you, It's a one time cost. It's totally alright to tell the truth, most folks who have half a brain already know it. You've got something that no one else has, so ****** the **** outta people is the only logical answer.

I more than likely will be one of your victims....I'm just gonna stew about it for a little while.

I don't see $200 for what they provide, including the excellent customer service, as "******." High, yes but likely a whole lot less than what the dealer would charge you assuming they'd even do it. Just my opinion.

However, I do think they could spend some more time on the written instructions. It is spartan at best.

walker111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't see $200 for what they provide, including the excellent customer service, as "******." High, yes but likely a whole lot less than what the dealer would charge you assuming they'd even do it. Just my opinion.

However, I do think they could spend some more time on the written instructions. It is spartan at best.

What do they provide? Chinese made plastic? And a few moments on a computer? Is it something I can't do? Yep. Again, I'll probably be going this route. Hell, cuyler tech thought the same with all of the 8.4 upgrades harnesses so he started doing it... and he apparently works for them. It's the same concept.

200 bucks is 2 hours at a stealership, whether they would charge that I havent a clue, but, that's why they get the name they do.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What do they provide? Chinese made plastic? And a few moments on a computer? Is it something I can't do? Yep. Again, I'll probably be going this route. Hell, cuyler tech thought the same with all of the 8.4 upgrades harnesses so he started doing it... and he apparently works for them. It's the same concept.

200 bucks is 2 hours at a stealership, whether they would charge that I havent a clue, but, that's why they get the name they do.

There is more then 3 Years and over 200K into the development of the Genie. Sorry you dont like the price, but we have no intentions of changing it.

walker111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is more then 3 Years and over 200K into the development of the Genie. Sorry you dont like the price, but we have no intentions of changing it.

I know, you already said that. And I know my opinion isn't gonna change that. I understand R&D.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

While I wont disagree with the price of the Genie, there is a lot that goes into it. As well if there is something wrong they will fix it, just like the are the 2 that have wonky A/C controls now. As with the AE tool, you can get yourself stuck in a hurry and make the truck useless. You can brick any of the computers and can not return to stock. One part I wish it had was a backup, something I did have in my BMW world where if I messed up I could re-flash to stock, the AE tool can not.

Lets not make this another anti Genie tool as they are here for us, not the other way around. They make a fool proof tool that does the programming for you.

Rut Row

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
Success!

20170619_163730-L.jpg

he only thing I don't like is the slider is the only way to change the temperature. Neither the manual controls nor the arrows on the display change the temperature. But I can easily live with that.

STecoD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Crew Cab Tradesman
Engine
3.0L Diesel
Success!

20170619_163730-L.jpg

he only thing I don't like is the slider is the only way to change the temperature. Neither the manual controls nor the arrows on the display change the temperature. But I can easily live with that.

Did the buttons work before? I don't have the ATC yet but my buttons control the screen still. Just curious.

Rut Row

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
Did the buttons work before? I don't have the ATC yet but my buttons control the screen still. Just curious.

yes the physical buttons worked and I think the arrows on the screen worked but I never used them. I guess we can't expect too much when we hack the truck computers tho--I'm happy!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Success!

20170619_163730-L.jpg

Give the radio a couple cycles to reset, it should allow full functionality of the physical and on screen controls.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963