How to Add Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) to a Manual Temperature Control Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbighouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Radio isn't resetting
I installed my 8.4" UAS following the instructions in this thread. @Mpgrimm2 did a really great job outlining the process, and it went mostly well.

When I first powered on the new unit, I was able to unlock the security code and access the menus. However, the display in front of the steering wheel (is this called EVIC?) shows a "LOCKED RADIO" even though I can do everything on the radio itself.

In addition, I used AlphaOBD to change from Dual Zone ATC -> Single Zone ATC (I unplugged the battery and the fuse for 30+ min, but the radio still shows dual zone.

The SXM logo doesn't appear nor does the backup camera video show on screen in reverse.

Any ideas?

Should I do a reset all settings on the radio with that screen option?

IMG_7299.JPG
(This message appears even though I can use the radio)

IMG_7300.JPG
(Radio screen menus are unlocked. No SXM logo though...)

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
@umbighouse
Sent you a text & email ...
Clay, you are going to have to set it back to Single Zone MTC, pull the inline radio fuse, wait for the radio to finish it's reset and start again. And you MUST WAIT for the SxM button to come back before proceeding to the next change as previously mentioned in email. The radio doesn't finish it's reset until then

Earl Zeis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Radio isn't resetting
I installed my 8.4" UAS following the instructions in this thread. @Mpgrimm2 did a really great job outlining the process, and it went mostly well.

When I first powered on the new unit, I was able to unlock the security code and access the menus. However, the display in front of the steering wheel (is this called EVIC?) shows a "LOCKED RADIO" even though I can do everything on the radio itself.

In addition, I used AlphaOBD to change from Dual Zone ATC -> Single Zone ATC (I unplugged the battery and the fuse for 30+ min, but the radio still shows dual zone.

The SXM logo doesn't appear nor does the backup camera video show on screen in reverse.

Any ideas?

Should I do a reset all settings on the radio with that screen option?

View attachment 264679
(This message appears even though I can use the radio)

View attachment 264680
(Radio screen menus are unlocked. No SXM logo though...)

Wait at least an hour after each thing you do for the radio to refresh itself. I could never get it to refresh by pulling the fuse. Make a change, lock the truck, come back at least an hour later and it should be good. Then you can do the next change then wait again. They aren't fast to refresh after changes. The Chrysler scan tool can force them to refresh. Without it, it's just a waiting game.

umbighouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I pulled the fuse for an hour and put it back in. Still not getting the SXM icon (I do see the Sirius logo on the startup splash screen). But it's not resetting. Should I do the screen menu reset all settings?

I also don't see any options in the menus for Safety and Driving Assistance, Miiror and Wipers, Lights, Doors and Locks.

The System Information menu only shows an option for Software License, but no version info.

The Locked Radio message did go away in the EVIC, but still no backup camera. When I put it in reverse, the EVIC just says Vehicle not in Park.

I think I matched up the wires right but here are the connections.
928BEB9E-AC43-4DA8-9EC3-8932A7730032.jpeg

Last edited:

Earl Zeis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
I pulled the fuse for an hour and put it back in. Still not getting the SXM icon (I do see the Sirius logo on the startup splash screen). But it's not resetting. Should I do the screen menu reset all settings?
Don't bother with the fuse or battery connections. Lock the truck and come back later. Hour or more. Or over night.

Earl

umbighouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I mistakenly updated my Post # 965 with the latest info...

Earl Zeis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L

I also don't see any options in the menus for Safety and Driving Assistance, Miiror and Wipers, Lights, Doors and Locks.

The System Information menu only shows an option for Software License, but no version info.

The Locked Radio message did go away in the EVIC, but still no backup camera. When I put it in reverse, the EVIC just says Vehicle not in Park.

I think I matched up the wires right but here are the connections.
View attachment 319577

Your radio hasn't refreshed yet. How long are you allowing it to sleep so it can refresh itself?

Earl

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L

Vic Nov

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
-------------------- Edit -------------------

I was thinking about grabbing an extra dual zone bezel if i can nab one for cheap to try and combine parts between them.

I will pm Steve to see what he did vs starting blind since we were apparently thinking the same thing. I would love to see the look on the dealer tech's face during my next oil change if they saw a single zone ATC bezel. "sha wing!"

-------------------- Edit 2 -------------------

Well, I have successfully pulled off a single Zone ATC bezel mod after about 8 hrs of work and repairing a partially damaged board. Very difficult to do without a $1000+ SMD repair station, but it can be done.

I would give this a 9 or 10 on the difficulty scale because of the small size of the components/traces.
(I ruined the LED's on a single zone MTC board 'practicing' for this, which is very easy to do)

Big thanks to Steve for the idea and some pointers to pull it off!

View attachment 381577

*Contact me by PM or see our M² Mods thread for pricing to get one if interested *

----------- Items needed --------------

- Dual Zone ATC bezel
View attachment 381578

- Single Zone MTC button assy
(discard the rest of the MTC bezel)
View attachment 381579

- 28awg annealed magnet wire
- (1) 20k ohm 0603 SMD resistor
- small soldering stuff: 3x-4x jeweler's magnifying headset, ESD mat/strap, hot tweezers, Variable temp soldering iron with smallest tip (ie Weller wes51 & ET0 1/32" tip), regular tweezers, etc.

- Patience! Lots of patience!

----- Overview ----

As a basic overview, your have to cut some traces on the ATC board, remap the buttons with magnet wire, and switch the left side LEDs (red vs blue) and their current limiting resistors. Plus use the button assy from a single zone...
View attachment 381580

Here's some pictures:

Before:
View attachment 381581
View attachment 381582

After:
View attachment 381583
View attachment 381584

Final:
View attachment 381585

M² Mods - From my non Flammable S7!

Vic Nov

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I`m sorry, but having a rough time posting. Mpgrimm2, I have read the thread for adding a humidity sensor to the 4th gen rams, in that thread (post #8) you show pics of a modded dual zone board (before and after). my question to you is: do you have an exploded view of the solder points? Also, i see your circled pictures of the red and blue lights, did you swap the resistors to match the led swap, and your instructions call for a 20 olm resistor ( i did not see in your pics where you used it).

tzmndvl308

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Express
Purchased Infotainment Nav/Radio 5 months ago.
Paid the $274 last week for the auto AC update,
Originally the radio had auto on it, but no degrees on slider.
First attempt with update took away auto selection.
Second attempt brought back auto button and degrees on slider.
Push auto does nothing, and when you raise the temperature it stays there for a second, and then drops down to LO.
Sent video to Infotainment... hoping for help.

Last edited:

tzmndvl308

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sent Infotainment video as they requested. No response. Called, put on hold multiple times. Finally got someone. Put on hold, never came back to line.
Asked for RMA to return.... Will see what happens.
Anyone believing that it is worth it to pay more ($274.00) so you have product support? Does not apply to Infotainment.
The problems on this post from 2017 that people were having... Problems are still there.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I did this mod and the harness was all ready in the truck. I ordered one and did not need it. Check for a small black four pin connector right by where the sensor goes. All I needed was the temp sensor. I have a 2014 Bighorn 2500 ccsb. Came with just single MTC.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Same here. I looked today also have a 2014 2500 mine is an SLT with factory 8.4. Ordered the sensor will get it put in and change using alpha no problem.

mdtz86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@Mpgrimm2 hooked me up on the wiring. I followed the instructions to a T and had a weird issue where it wouldn't switch to dash in manual mode. So I did a calibration. Since then it does a self test most times when I start it and the defrost flashes and then turns off. In the HVAC calibration it shows:
Actuator 2 (Right Temp) Calibration: Failed
and
Fault Code B11C9: Right Temperature Door Travel Too Small

I am assuming since it is single zone, there is no right temp actuator. Is this expected since Ram's never came factory with single zone, or should I try to reset to factory manual and repeat processes?

Thanks everyone!

Sking80

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
@Mpgrimm2 hooked me up on the wiring. I followed the instructions to a T and had a weird issue where it wouldn't switch to dash in manual mode. So I did a calibration. Since then it does a self test most times when I start it and the defrost flashes and then turns off. In the HVAC calibration it shows:
and

I am assuming since it is single zone, there is no right temp actuator. Is this expected since Ram's never came factory with single zone, or should I try to reset to factory manual and repeat processes?

Thanks everyone!
I’m about to do this mod. Did that code throw a CEL?

mdtz86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m about to do this mod. Did that code throw a CEL?
No code. I just see the defrost light flash and you hear the actuators move. Nothing crazy. I also haven't seen anyone else have this issue. So it may just be me. Make sure to follow the directions with the correct timing/power off cycle between each step.

Sking80

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
No code. I just see the defrost light flash and you hear the actuators move. Nothing crazy. I also haven't seen anyone else have this issue. So it may just be me. Make sure to follow the directions with the correct timing/power off cycle between each step.
Ok thanks I just order my parts I have to get with @Mpgrimm2 to get the harness for the one under dash

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
and

Thanks everyone!
Sorry, I don't recognize the screen name. Have we talked before? Shoot me a message/start a conversation with your phone number and i can give you a call in about 45mins on my way to work. (If you've gotten something from me before include your email so I can do a search.)

What parts are you using exactly?

Chances are you either have an AlfaOBD programming issue (order of the steps is crucial or sometimes it's the app version/update) or there's an issue with the hardware not supporting it fully (HVAC module or radio).

mdtz86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry, I don't recognize the screen name. Have we talked before? Shoot me a message/start a conversation with your phone number and i can give you a call in about 45mins on my way to work. (If you've gotten something from me before include your email so I can do a search.)

What parts are you using exactly?

Chances are you either have an AlfaOBD programming issue (order of the steps is crucial or sometimes it's the app version/update) or there's an issue with the hardware not supporting it fully (HVAC module or radio).

I was just giving credit for the ATC wire harness I bought from you. Harness was high quality. I doubt the issue I am having is anything to do with the harness. I will PM you either way.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio