How to: Add Dual Zone ATC to a Tradesman

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Remen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
Monday ordered the HVAC module and it arrived today. It took all of 15 minutes to R/R the module and test the system.
These are the results:
46E06364-DB11-412B-A5D5-E4009B945264.jpeg
31FD5CCD-9F07-418A-A1D7-6400C16CB070.jpeg
Dual mode working normally. Ran control functions and temperature settings and now system cools and heats as expected. Success!

The original HVAC module was part of the 8.4 UAQ upgrade kit and dual zone option. The first modification to the system was configured as a single zone ATC system all worked well. When I changed the hardware and settings to a dual zone system my adventure began. Electrical components can fail without any indication as evidenced by the “new” module failure.

Remen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
The process involving the modification works and relatively inexpensive. My case was unusual and work intensive due to the HVAC module failure. Thanks again to STecoD, Ricks Ram, and jimmy07 for their support in this venture.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The process involving the modification works and relatively inexpensive. My case was unusual and work intensive due to the HVAC module failure. Thanks again to STecoD, Ricks Ram, and jimmy07 for their support in this venture.
Glad hear you got it figured out. That was definitely a tricky one! My blend door motor being incorrect when I did mine was also a little tricky but it works great now. I use the Dual Zone a lot. I really like this mod. It really isn't as hard to do as some might think and is relatively inexpensive to do.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Mega_Newblar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L v8 Hemi
Any reason I couldn't do this mod on my 2015 Ram 1500 Quad Cab? I already have the single zone ATC mod installed and working. Would the wiring be the same?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any reason I couldn't do this mod on my 2015 Ram 1500 Quad Cab? I already have the single zone ATC mod installed and working. Would the wiring be the same?
You can definitely do it to your 15 Quad Cab. I installed the Dual Zone on my 14 Quad Cab and it works great. The wiring for the HVAC is the same on the Quad Cab and the Crew Cab trucks. To order the correct HVAC box find a 13 to 18 Laramie Quad Cab on Ebay that's for sale and get the Vin#. All Laramie trucks are Dual Zone. Make sure it has the same Cab configuration and engine as what you you have. If you have a gas engine make sure the truck you get the Vin# from does as well. If you have a jump seat and no console make sure the truck you get the Vin# off of is the same. If you have a center console make sure you get the Vin# off of a truck that also is a Quad Cab with the center console. Contact Benny @AllMoparParts.com in the vendor section and give him two vin#s off two Laramie trucks with the same configuration as your truck and he will verify your part# and you can order it through them. My truck is a Quad Cab 5.7 Hemi with the Jump Seat the correct part# for the Dual Zone HVAC box for my truck was 68048891AD. You will also need to buy one extra blend door motor. The blend door motor part# my 14 took was 68448926AA.

Mega_Newblar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L v8 Hemi

Thanks for the confirmation.. Doing my research now, making a list and checking it twice. Only part that seems intimidating is the wiring but I'm sure I can figure it out.

I'll be sure to take some pics when I'm ready to take the plunge.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
For anyone considering this with an 8.4 conversion ... I have the parts/method to build the extra pass. blend door wiring into the conversion harness to avoid splices/soldering repinning connectors. Can't really retrofit it on my end into anything that's already gone out.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Here's what the 7 speed conversion harness looks like with the ATC part 1 cabin Temp sensor wiring and the new option connector so I can support part 2 humidity sensor harness (or 2500 fan harness) with the dual Zone pass. blend door wiring/connector.

Other than doing the dash pull/plenum box hardware swap... The wiring is now a plug n play option.

Hoping @Ant_si_08 shares some install pictures when he gets around to it.

1d97d903087d11f7c669ba03d9698371.jpg

M² Mods.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks nice Mike. Hopefully a few more guys will give it a try. It's really not that hard to do, especially now that you offer a harness.

RAMMIN_TIME

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Curious on the Alfa calibration, do you need a special cable or will OBD MX+ work? I notice in Alfa OBD it said something about MS – CAN blue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ramagain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll be doing this mod in the next mont or two. Got all the parts sourced, just waiting on a break from work to get this done.

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 K&N Cold Air Intake.
Hats off to all of you doing this. I would love to have it because the little woman drives me nuts. She wants heat on feet I want front facing heat blowing at me. We fight all the time over it but damn this looks crazy. I’m fairly handy with simple stuff but yikes.. The thread starting post had me stressed just going thru the pics and description steps. I had to stop looking thru it after the part where the dash was off.

Disconnect anything and everything then pull the whole dash and steering column an whatnot out. WoW. THEN hope to God it all goes back together!. You get it all off and after halfway putting it back together you realize you forgot something. I couldn’t do it just worrying about something like that happening.

so.... just want to say to anyone who successfully does this mod, I am impressed and I know this is a pretty intensive mod and anyone who rides in your truck and enjoys the fruit of you labor, will never truly know what went into it so just want to say “Way to go!”

:peace:

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hats off to all of you doing this. I would love to have it because the little woman drives me nuts. She wants heat on feet I want front facing heat blowing at me. We fight all the time over it but damn this looks crazy. I’m fairly handy with simple stuff but yikes.. The thread starting post had me stressed just going thru the pics and description steps. I had to stop looking thru it after the part where the dash was off.

Disconnect anything and everything then pull the whole dash and steering column an whatnot out. WoW. THEN hope to God it all goes back together!. You get it all off and after halfway putting it back together you realize you forgot something. I couldn’t do it just worrying about something like that happening.

so.... just want to say to anyone who successfully does this mod, I am impressed and I know this is a pretty intensive mod and anyone who rides in your truck and enjoys the fruit of you labor, will never truly know what went into it so just want to say “Way to go!”

:peace:
Lol it's honestly not that bad and it's relatively inexpensive to do. If it makes you feel any better the Dual Zone system only controls driver and passenger side temperature. You cannot change the air direction from side to side. If you have it blowing out the dash vents on your side she cannot make it blow from a different area on her side.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll be doing this mod in the next mont or two. Got all the parts sourced, just waiting on a break from work to get this done.
Good luck, let us know how it goes or if you have any questions. Remember use only OE blend door motors. I had issues with the aftermarket brand communicating with my truck when I originally did mine.

Ramagain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good luck, let us know how it goes or if you have any questions. Remember use only OE blend door motors. I had issues with the aftermarket brand communicating with my truck when I originally did mine.

I was able to source a complete factory dual zone EVAP assy. from a donor truck (2016 1500 sport). I discovered some minor incompatibility's but nothing that can't be overcome w/ no additional expense. Mike set me up with the additional blend door option in the HVAC harness. Just need to get some free time to get this done.

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 K&N Cold Air Intake.
Lol it's honestly not that bad and it's relatively inexpensive to do. If it makes you feel any better the Dual Zone system only controls driver and passenger side temperature. You cannot change the air direction from side to side. If you have it blowing out the dash vents on your side she cannot make it blow from a different area on her side. Still pretty impressive undertaking.

oh ok. I thought you can select different zones like feet on one side and front facing vents on the other. Didn’t realize it just controls the temperature for each side only.

wayned87

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just an FYI for some -

I have a 2015 RAM 2500 Mega Cab with full center console. I reached out to Benny with allmoparparts.com, and he came up with this part number 68197463AC. This part is anywhere from $300-$400 shipped, depending on the website.

Anyone else know of a cheaper part number that would work, confirmed? I know RAM says a lot of parts are not interchangeable, but we know they are. I was thinking I was going to spend like $80 on this Distribution Housing. I might have to put this on the back burner for a bit.

Thanks

wayned87

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well just my luck, after purchasing ALL parts except for the Distribution Housing box, I finally pulled the trigger. I was waiting and waiting hoping to find the box cheaper or for it to randomly come down in price, but it did nothing but go up in price. So I went ahead and purchased. Now the wait game begins haha

Anyone else do this lately? How much is everyone paying to have the freon recharged?

Ramagain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks like this threads been quiet for a while, time to add a new member to the HVAC swap club...
I just performed the plenum swap in my new to me 2013 Tradesman dually 4x4 using mpgrimm2's custom spec'd wire harness. Added the 8.4 back in January and got the wire harness for the a/c configuration shortly after that. Installed the harness in Feb, along with the module, 7 speed resistor and temp sensor. The dual zone control panel, 8.4 unit, and temp sensor came out of a 2016 1500 sport. The harness was opted for dual zone control and ATC. Last week I finally pulled the dash and swapped out the plenum from the same truck. Parts cost me about 600 for all (8.4 head unit, ATC sensor, bezel w/switches, and the plenum.) plus the harness and a/c module. Been running single zone ATC since Feb and all has work flawlessly.
With FL days fading to hellish temps I figured it was time to go for it. Lucked out and got a cool sunny day last weekend, did the swap in about 6 hours, this included cleaning out the dander and critter hair from behind the dash, ducts, and firewall. Took my time on the installation because I needed to splice in a feed for rear underseat lighting from the dash. This is alot easier to do when the dash is on the seats...
Dash was out in an hour, plenum out 1.5 later Those damn heater hoses were a ***** taking out solo, and the heater core tubing was fused ( read "melted") to the firewall insulation. Installation would have been about 1.5 but I was waiting on my son to show up for the assist on the hoses, steering wheel and other odd stuff. I paid 80.00 for an evacuation and recharge at a local shop. Seemed pricey to me, but it was necessary and close by. No leaks, everything is working good as OE. Having done this, I know now that swapping this stuff is a walk in the park. If the heater core or Evap fail I'll do the work myself. Neighbor dropped by and left his jaw on my driveway after the plenum was out. Said I missed my calling in life. Have to admit, threads and resources like this are invaluable to the average shade tree mechanic. Thanks for the inspiration! ,Shawn

Note the seat and steering wheel control options on the 8.4 display. This was made possible by another mpgrimm2 harness.
20210514_144307.jpg

20210508_112204.jpg

4 speed with RA1, stock tradesman configuration.
20201030_154113.jpg

On the 6.7 diesel this pesky 10mm nut is located behind and under the coolant bottle.
20210508_095628.jpg

Total fluid loss on the ground. Didn't need to clamp the heater hoses, a very small amount dripped inside th cab, mainly during the re-installation.
20210508_172517.jpg

Last edited:

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's definitely nice to see a few guys taking the plunge and taking on this mod. As I've said several times it's really not as hard as one might think so it scares some people away. The Dual Zone ATC is definitely a nice feature to have. It's going on about two years since I upgraded mine and it works great.