How to: Add Dual Zone ATC to a Tradesman

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wayned87

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So, reading this, it sounds like you can convert a single zone to a dual zone? I read the above
1 - Swap SZ harness for DZ harness
2 - Swap SZ door for DZ door
2 b - you can replace all the doors with the kit
3 - Add a 5th door actuator to the D Z harness
4 - Reassemble

Am I understanding this correctly? If I don't have to use the hvac box I bought used, and can re-use mine, and just take parts off the DZ box, add the blend doors, and harness, 'd prefer that.

I see the poster above converted to a laramie harness as well, as I had Mike add the DZ to my 8.4, I'll have the needed harness too...

It seems this may be a different way to do this add-on?

Yes this is similar to what I did.

I bought the following:

Full blend door kit, (could have just bought the 1 blend door for DZ).

Used DZ harness.

Used actuators.

Then programmed!

The HVAC box literally just comes apart with clips and a few screws.

HighShyGuy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Yes this is similar to what I did.

I bought the following:

Full blend door kit, (could have just bought the 1 blend door for DZ).

Used DZ harness.

Used actuators.

Then programmed!

The HVAC box literally just comes apart with clips and a few screws.
Yeah,
I see how easily it comes apart. The one I bought used is sooooo dirty and dusty, if I can take parts from it and transfer to mine, I'm gonna do that, and I know mine fits!

There were a few great YT videos in how to disassemble and install the blend door kit too.

Thanks for the confirmation!

wayned87

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yeah,
I see how easily it comes apart. The one I bought used is sooooo dirty and dusty, if I can take parts from it and transfer to mine, I'm gonna do that, and I know mine fits!

There were a few great YT videos in how to disassemble and install the blend door kit too.

Thanks for the confirmation!
Yeah there’s a few, it’s pretty darn simple, if you can change an air filter then you’re good. Lol

legend921

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone have any idea what the trick is to pop off the heat core hose bracket/clip? Also, I'm being hung up on the PCM bracket to remove as well, I am sure it's related to the Heater Hose Bracket, but anyway, how do you unclip these? I am stuck here and the box is ready to come out.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Anyone have any idea what the trick is to pop off the heat core hose bracket/clip? Also, I'm being hung up on the PCM bracket to remove as well, I am sure it's related to the Heater Hose Bracket, but anyway, how do you unclip these? I am stuck here and the box is ready to come out.
@Ricks Ram ... @STecoD ?

legend921

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank Mpgrimm2 - I was finally able to get it out.

Here's what I learned. If you have the 1500 with the PCM located in the area along the passenger side firewall, what you would need to do is remove the three bolts and unplug the PCM. Once you remove that, you would take needle nose pliers to the heater hose bracket and just pull hard after you unclip the hose. Once that is done, you will have access to the 10mm bolt. I recommend having deep sockets for this job.

legend921

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ran into an issue with my conversion. Everything works as it should with one exception. When I set the temp to hot, it blows cold air, but when I set it to cold, all the blend doors for both pass and driver move to the hot position. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on what to do? I did the calibration test, unplugged a motor moved the arm down and reseated the motor, and still same thing. Also even disconnected the battery and discharged the BCM.

legend921

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I figured out the issue. When swapping the wires, I assumed the three wires running in line were all for the same side with the fourth pig tail being for the other blend door. Well, I was wrong. The short wire next to the HVAC gray sensor goes towards the passenger side of the HVAC box and the other middle third one goes towards the firewall. Once I flipped those, the blend doors work as intended. I must say, I can remove the dash now in thirty minutes or so lol.

Cool_Hand_Luke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Congrats on the mod. I wish there was a video tutorial to watch before I attempt this mod. I have replaced condenser out of a Jeep before lap I know this is more advanced and bit harder to do. It would put my mind at ease when removing the dash.
Does anyone know what part # and/or how many I’ll need for 2013 RAM quad cab?
Blend door, dual zone light sensor
And heater box assembly??
I have a donor 2019 near me in a junk yard that I got dual zone ATC Bezel and was wondering if I could reuse all the parts (5.7 as well)
Thanks.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Congrats on the mod. I wish there was a video tutorial to watch before I attempt this mod. I have replaced condenser out of a Jeep before lap I know this is more advanced and bit harder to do. It would put my mind at ease when removing the dash.
Does anyone know what part # and/or how many I’ll need for 2013 RAM quad cab?
Blend door, dual zone light sensor
And heater box assembly??
I have a donor 2019 near me in a junk yard that I got dual zone ATC Bezel and was wondering if I could reuse all the parts (5.7 as well)
Thanks.
I'm not sure which plenum box you'd actually need for a 13... Keep in mind your 2013 ram1500 has the same HVAC system as 13-17 2500.

** I just had someone recently grab the wrong plenum box for a dual zone swap from a newer savage truck and it didn't have the cutout/mount for the fan resistor and the blower motor/blend door wiring was different.

Cool_Hand_Luke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not sure which plenum box you'd actually need for a 13... Keep in mind your 2013 ram1500 has the same HVAC system as 13-17 2500.

** I just had someone recently grab the wrong plenum box for a dual zone swap from a newer savage truck and it didn't have the cutout/mount for the fan resistor and the blower motor/blend door wiring was different.
What about parts for 2014+ 1500?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
What about parts for 2014+ 1500?
I really have no idea on the actual hardware parts for this one, I just offer the wiring.

If you really want to know, find the vin of a 2013 1500 with factory Dual Zone ATC and see about getting Benny at AllMoparParts (Forum vendor) to look up the PNs. Maybe it's the same IDK. Maybe @Ricks Ram will get the notice and reply back if he knows.

Cool_Hand_Luke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I really have no idea on the actual hardware parts for this one, I just offer the wiring.

If you really want to know, find the vin of a 2013 1500 with factory Dual Zone ATC and see about getting Benny at AllMoparParts (Forum vendor) to look up the PNs. Maybe it's the same IDK. Maybe @Ricks Ram will get the notice and reply back if he knows.
It’s very hard to find 2013s with dual zone ATC. I know I can pick apart 2019 which had dual zone ATC which I took along with humidity sensor. I will have to track down dzatc trucks.

Another question: Would I be able to use rear view mirror with SOS button in my 2013? I think there was a camera too for rain sensor. Could I utilize these parts or it’s way too much work!?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
It’s very hard to find 2013s with dual zone ATC. I know I can pick apart 2019 which had dual zone ATC which I took along with humidity sensor. I will have to track down dzatc trucks.

Another question: Would I be able to use rear view mirror with SOS button in my 2013? I think there was a camera too for rain sensor. Could I utilize these parts or it’s way too much work!?
You need a 13-16 mirror with mics and 13-16 1500 mirror harness...

- DIY: 2013-2018 RearView Mirror Upgrade & Harness install

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L

2013 Laramie 1500 with dual zone ATC...
VIN: 1C6RR6NTXDS627440
Build Sheet

Reach out to('Benny') @AllMoparParts.com and see if he can identfy the part number for the dual Zone AC plenum box?

Last edited: