How To: Add Factory Keyless Enter N Go

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Incidentally now I want to order handles ASAP to make sure mine will work.

vhmike73

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500 Laramie Limited
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Okay...I stumbled into finding out that the handles DO in fact work!! HOWEVER, I have to be basically right next to the door (of course, the fob is in my front pants pocket), or more appropriately the B-Pillar for the handles to actually function. Once I'm close enough to the truck, I have functional Keyless Enter!!

So here's a question for anyone else who's handles are working AND the passive entry antennas are mounted on the B Pillar: what kind of distance do you have, meaning: can you reach out a full arm's length (I wear a 33" sleeve dress shirt), or do you have to get right up close to the body to have your handles enabled?

I'm not sure if there's too much steel in the B-Pillar, or if a vertical orientation that the B-Pillar requires is affecting the Passive Entry antenna's range, but I would think the handles would work with the fob being a full 'arm's length' away from the truck.

Either way, THE HUB IS OK and THE HANDLES ARE TOO!

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay...I stumbled into finding out that the handles DO in fact work!! HOWEVER, I have to be basically right next to the door (of course, the fob is in my front pants pocket), or more appropriately the B-Pillar for the handles to actually function. Once I'm close enough to the truck, I have functional Keyless Enter!!

So here's a question for anyone else who's handles are working AND the passive entry antennas are mounted on the B Pillar: what kind of distance do you have, meaning: can you reach out a full arm's length (I wear a 33" sleeve dress shirt), or do you have to get right up close to the body to have your handles enabled?

I'm not sure if there's too much steel in the B-Pillar, or if a vertical orientation that the B-Pillar requires is affecting the Passive Entry antenna's range, but I would think the handles would work with the fob being a full 'arm's length' away from the truck.

Either way, THE HUB IS OK and THE HANDLES ARE TOO!

That is a good question, would like to hear what anyone has mounted them in the b-pillar has to say. Mine are in the b-pillar but I do not have handles yet, so I cant tell if its going to work well or not.

Might have to order the antenna again since I cut the mounting ears to fit in the b-pillar area. It doesnt make sense to me that the reception would be *worse* because the stock location is farther away. Unless, like you said, all the metal is messing something up (stock location is on the plastic door carrier, I think)

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can’t speak on the b-pillar but mounted mid level on the drivers/passenger doors I can set my fob behind the rear tire (quad cab) and my doors unlock with no problem. What’s funny though is I can place the fob by the drivers door and go to the passenger side and the door will not unlock. I’m assuming that is a safety feature. Fob recognized by the drivers side and cancels the passenger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ordered one handle from allmopar, hopefully get it some time soon to test everything out. Wouldn't be the end of the world to have to move the antennae I guess.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

vhmike73

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
That is a good question, would like to hear what anyone has mounted them in the b-pillar has to say. Mine are in the b-pillar but I do not have handles yet, so I cant tell if its going to work well or not.

Might have to order the antenna again since I cut the mounting ears to fit in the b-pillar area. It doesn't make sense to me that the reception would be *worse* because the stock location is farther away. Unless, like you said, all the metal is messing something up (stock location is on the plastic door carrier, I think)

chrisbh17: I wouldn't think you'd need new antennas: even if you're mounting the antennas in the stock location, I would think 3M tape would secure them to the inner door panel just as well as it does for the b-pillar.

Can’t speak on the b-pillar but mounted mid level on the drivers/passenger doors I can set my fob behind the rear tire (quad cab) and my doors unlock with no problem. What’s funny though is I can place the fob by the drivers door and go to the passenger side and the door will not unlock. I’m assuming that is a safety feature. Fob recognized by the drivers side and cancels the passenger.

Ghost_RAM: did you use the rear door carrier for your mounting location? How much of a PITA is it to feed the wire through the rear door connectors? And did you screw the antennas onto the carrier (I THINK the stock location is up near the inner door handle on a Crew Cab, it's probably different for a Quad Cab)? I'm guessing your antenna is also oriented horizontally, correct? I wonder if the antennas are sensitive to being oriented vertically vice horizontally?

My main issue would be extending the wires to go INTO the doors, as I pretty much ran the wires off the antennas and back to the RF Hub mounting area, and don't have much excess. I guess a splice will be necessary if I decide I want to fight to get the antennas into my rear doors.

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
chrisbh17: I wouldn't think you'd need new antennas: even if you're mounting the antennas in the stock location, I would think 3M tape would secure them to the inner door panel just as well as it does for the b-pillar.

Ghost_RAM: did you use the rear door carrier for your mounting location? How much of a PITA is it to feed the wire through the rear door connectors? And did you screw the antennas onto the carrier (I THINK the stock location is up near the inner door handle on a Crew Cab, it's probably different for a Quad Cab)? I'm guessing your antenna is also oriented horizontally, correct? I wonder if the antennas are sensitive to being oriented vertically vice horizontally?

My main issue would be extending the wires to go INTO the doors, as I pretty much ran the wires off the antennas and back to the RF Hub mounting area, and don't have much excess. I guess a splice will be necessary if I decide I want to fight to get the antennas into my rear doors.

Front doors for me

ac51e6992ee7a77b46d039495bea9211.jpg

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for that pic. I suppose I could do the same without the push pins and just use the same 3M tape I used to put them in the b-pillar.

I will need to extend the wires, though. No big deal, I can solder. Not sure when my handle will arrive but hopefully I can test it all quickly (I will move the antenna to the back door if it doesnt work in the b-pillar, so I can have my driver door back together again)

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thinking more about it, my guess is the vertical orientation is probably worse than the metal being the issue. The rear and front antenna for the system are mounted to metal and seem to work just fine. Wont know for sure until I get my handle but Im ordering more twisted pair wire in anticipation of having to extend them anyway.

vhmike73

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thinking more about it, my guess is the vertical orientation is probably worse than the metal being the issue. The rear and front antenna for the system are mounted to metal and seem to work just fine. Wont know for sure until I get my handle but Im ordering more twisted pair wire in anticipation of having to extend them anyway.

I'm of the same mind on that. I guess the question now is, how accessible is the rear door connector? Meaning is it fully populated like the driver front, or is there an open plug position like on the passenger front? I guess I'll see soon enough. It's a nice enough day to give it a shot to move the antennas.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would assume there are open spots on the rear door connector for the antenna wire.

You can actually buy the whole rear door harness for trucks with keyless go, and then you would only need to connect at the door connector. Still need to fish the wires, but might be easier if you only need to go to the hinge side of the connector.

vhmike73

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Put them in the rear door, oriented horizontally.

As for the rear door plugs, there's not an open plug location like on the front passenger side, but there is enough room around the plug to fish the wires through. Actually, it's easier than on the front driver side. And since that plug is visible and accessible from the big hole in the B-pillar, that makes popping the whole assembly out a ton easier. I didn't take pics of the location, but there's a nice flat spot underneath the interior handle that's just big enough for the antenna.

Once I got the antenna horizontal and in the rear door, I could reach out and grab the handle to unlock- I didn't have to basically lean against the back door for it to work. Oh, and I think that you might want to ensure you don't put your phone on top of your keys in your pocket; mine blocked the fob and made it not transmit very well.

I'm calling this job FINISHED. Finally.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for that... Looks like I will be expecting to move the antennae.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

skuppy069

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 cc
Engine
hemi 5.7
Put them in the rear door, oriented horizontally.

As for the rear door plugs, there's not an open plug location like on the front passenger side, but there is enough room around the plug to fish the wires through. Actually, it's easier than on the front driver side. And since that plug is visible and accessible from the big hole in the B-pillar, that makes popping the whole assembly out a ton easier. I didn't take pics of the location, but there's a nice flat spot underneath the interior handle that's just big enough for the antenna.

Once I got the antenna horizontal and in the rear door, I could reach out and grab the handle to unlock- I didn't have to basically lean against the back door for it to work. Oh, and I think that you might want to ensure you don't put your phone on top of your keys in your pocket; mine blocked the fob and made it not transmit very well.

I'm calling this job FINISHED. Finally.
Glad you finally got her done I bet

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This displeased me as I anticipated putting them in the pillar and not in the door either.

vhmike73

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
This displeased me as I anticipated putting them in the pillar and not in the door either.

Tell me about it...but putting them in the back door (if you're working with a Crew Cab at least) isn't THAT difficult. Just adds time and some extra wire. I think the orientation (vertical vs. horizontal) was the real issue, but there's no way to put the antennas in the B Pillar horizontally.