How To Add Heated/Ventelated seats and Heated Wheel to Express/Tradesman

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK last picture of it after I connected all the wires. I ended up just connecting to the CAN IHS by tapping into the white wire for the - IHS and the gray wire for the IHS + on the back of the OBD2 port. It easily pops out. You can't see it in the pictures because it has been re wrapped but I just connected the two wires there for my CAN connection. I am sure there will be others ways people will figure out out to hook it all up as time goes on but just wanted to post better pictures of how I did it. Everything still seems to work great.

Attachments

• 20170117_123116.jpg
    20170117_123116.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 218

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I would like to know what pins are used in the PDC connectors. I haven't checked yet but from all indications on techauthority there is no seat heater wiring out of the PDC but fuses 96,97,98 are populated.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For anyone looking for seats, There are a decent amount for low money in Canada, Some near WA over the boarder and some around the middle of CA. Some will ship to the US, others will only ship within canada or local pickup. Multiple sets of Sport/Laramie for under $1K total.

Snagged a set from Alberta, gonna cost me about 800 USD shipped here but Im looking forward to them.

Also whats Bennys screen name. So I can get that switch panel part number on order.

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay. This has gone far enough already. I just started putting in a floor console, I am installing laramie leather door panels. I wanted to take a break. I said to myself, after the door panels, my express quad cap is complete.

Now thanks to you I have to, of course, install heated power seats. now is there anything we can't make an express into??

By the way, what is this scan tool you have that allows you to flash codes??

I got the scan tool from Auto Engenuity. I bought it from KT Performance. You would need the tool plus you need to purchase the Dodge interface.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Snagged a set from Alberta, gonna cost me about 800 USD shipped here but Im looking forward to them.

Also whats Bennys screen name. So I can get that switch panel part number on order.

I've never even considered any in Canada. Considering what I've paid for shipping from the Midwest, I can't imagine western Canada to the east coast.

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Confirmed PDC information.

Seat Power Driver - PDC C5 Pin 40 - 14 AWG - 7116-4112-02
Connects to SeatCushionDriver (Yellow) Pin 1 - 7116-4112-02

Seat Power Passenger - PDC C6 Pin 2 - 14 AWG - 7116-4112-02
Connects to SeatCushionPassenger (Yellow) Pin 14 - 7116-4032

Seat Heat - PDC C7 - 16 AWG - 7116-4111-02
Connects to SeatCushionDriver(Yellow) Pin 8 - 7116-4111-02

Seat Heat - PDC C7 - 16AWG - 7116-4111-02
Connects to SeatCushionDriver(Yellow) Pin 7 - 7116-4111-02

Rear Heat - PDC C7 - 20AWG - 7116-4100-02
Connects to --> I haven't traced this one out yet.

I figured these out by cross referencing PDC repair kit part numbers against other yazaki connectors repair kit numbers of which I knew what the terminal numbers were. I then ordered two sets of PDC repair kits, and then physically verified that the terminals that I listed matched the repair kit terminals.

Also, the CAN IHS BUS connects to a two pin connector. It's part number is 5-2138650-1 and corresponding terminals 5-963715-1. Does anyone know how exactly this connector plugs in? Is it housed in a larger connector with the other CAN IHS Bus connectors or does it plug in by itself? I haven't had a chance to look under by dash and see where it actually plugs in based on the diagrams I got from tech authority and Rick.

Rick or 00R/T can one of you verify that the terminal #'s that I listed for the seat side are correct? Thanks.

Last edited:

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I think Rick wrote down all the part numbers. I basically just gave them to him piecemeal as we worked through it so I don't have a complete list.

As for the CAN, Chrysler uses these junction blocks that join all the devices together. On the RAM, they're located up near the brake pedal and are taped together with foam around them.

This is the installation instructions for a device I have in my car. It has a great photo of the front CAN block which is the same as what's used in the truck.
http://www.zautotech.com/docs/TranZformer 2nd Gen Installation Instructions 2.2.0b.pdf

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I think Rick wrote down all the part numbers. I basically just gave them to him piecemeal as we worked through it so I don't have a complete list.

As for the CAN, Chrysler uses these junction blocks that join all the devices together. On the RAM, they're located up near the brake pedal and are taped together with foam around them.

This is the installation instructions for a device I have in my car. It has a great photo of the front CAN block which is the same as what's used in the truck.
http://www.zautotech.com/docs/TranZformer 2nd Gen Installation Instructions 2.2.0b.pdf

Thanks! That is what I was looking for. Makes sense now. I ordered the connector today but the terminals are on back order. Mouser said the eta was yesterday so hopefully I get them in the next week or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MaizeNBlue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You guys are making my brain hurt.... I'm totally gonna drive Rick insane when I start on this.... poor guy!!

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So now that I have all the parts coming, where is the how do I take the dash apart thread to add the switch block.

I found the seats and buttons that will accomadte my front and rear parking sensors, heated and cooled seats, traction control, and tow haul, somehow the donor truck was perfect. Shipped from 1300 miles from me my total is $600 bucks. Cant and will not complain.

Car-Part.com just harass that sight till you find them.

Last edited:

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
So now that I have all the parts coming, where is the how do I take the dash apart thread to add the switch block

what switch block, the new switch bank so you can turn them on?

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
what switch block, the new switch bank so you can turn them on?

Exactly the one under the radio. If what is said is true and on my bighorn this setup is plug and play, I will know next week. I have it all coming on the same pallet from Indiana to Tampa.

I hope it truly is all plug and play but I have a feeling Im going to have to lay some wire. If I do then so be it, but I really dont want to.

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Exactly the one under the radio. If what is said is true and on my bighorn this setup is plug and play, I will know next week. I have it all coming on the same pallet from Indiana to Tampa.

I hope it truly is all plug and play but I have a feeling Im going to have to lay some wire. If I do then so be it, but I really dont want to.

As stated. If your truck has these wires going into your drivers side seat it should work. It has worked in other vehicles. Did you verify that you had these wires?

Attachments

• 20161222_134905.jpg
    20161222_134905.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 171

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As stated. If your truck has these wires going into your drivers side seat it should work. It has worked in other vehicles. Did you verify that you had these wires?

This is what mine looks like as of 4 minutes ago.

20170119_143337.jpg

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Then your set. It should be plug and play. It should work with just a switch panel and no codes installed just like my truck did.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Then your set. It should be plug and play. It should work with just a switch panel and no codes installed just like my truck did.

Sweeeeeeeet,

Ill post pics of the process, and a video of me giggling like a school girl when it fires up.

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Rick or 00R/T (Or Anyone Else)

I was looking at the schematics for my truck today, and I found this anomaly from Rick's post in regards to the heated steering wheel. My schematics do not show pins 10 and 20 going from the grey driver side seat cushion 2 connector to the pins 7 and 15 of the white connector. Instead it shows, pins 10 and 20 going to pins 35 and 40 of the I311 connector where Rick tapped his relay trigger. Did either of you come across this before while you were researching this? I'm going to physically verify what connectors I have in my truck.

HeatedWheel_zpsrmalmr0u.jpg

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'm honestly not sure what my truck has since I didn't have to run any of my own wiring. Rick traced those wires down from the clockspring connector and they matched my schematic, so we went with it.
ceed2ad541235a9fb8571b3ce6ab8442.jpg

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will double check mine when I get home and see what wires I have in those two slots. When I found the correct color heated steering wheel wires coming from the upper harness coming from the colum going into that plug and then not exiting from the other side it seemed to me to be the most obvious place to tap plus it also seemed to corresponded with the schematic I was reading. It is very hard to trace the wires once they all converge into the main harness. The heated wheel seems to work fine so I am assuming it's hooked up correctly.....at least for my application. If I find the same color wires in the plug you described I'm not really sure what to think about that.

Last edited:

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I will double check mine when I get home and see what wires I have in those two slots. When I found the correct color heated steering wheel wires coming from the upper harness coming from the colum going into that plug and then not exiting from the other side it seemed to me to be the most obvious place to tap plus it also seemed to corresponded with the schematic I was reading. It is very hard to trace the wires once they all converge into the main harness. The heated wheel seems to work fine so I am assuming it's hooked up correctly.....at least for my application. If I find the same color wires in the plug you described I'm not really sure what to think about that.

I think it is just a difference in truck models as I don't have the white connector that you pinned into. I wonder if it a model year difference/1500-2500/or gasser-diesel difference. The good news is that it says i still have the wiring coming down from the steering wheel. I just have to populate a different connector.

Just put my heated/cooled seat and wheel buttons in tonight. Going to try to run the 5 wires from the PDC into the cab while it is warm this weekend. Then I just have to wait for my jump seat cover to come from leather seats to come in and I'm ready to install.

How hard was the clock spring to replace? I pulled the steering wheel once already to put the audio controls in the back of the steering wheel. So I know how to beat the clips lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk