How to add remote start to 2017 Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You are fully wired up from latch connector to BCM. All you need is a hood latch and programmed

Awesomesauce! And thanks for putting up will all my dumb questions :D

I've just been leery as when I first got the truck I went to local dealer and they said my VIN was not able to have factory remote start - which didn't make sense. I had Benny check and he said should be no issue. But it was always in the back of my mind.

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Well I am a bit confused, I looked the connector and compared to pics in post #1 - one of the pics is missing so not sure if I am seeing the correct wiring. Comparing to this picture:

.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ramforum.com%2Fpicture.png

Here are both sides of my connector (2016 1500 BigHorn). The purple wires are what is throwing me off, unless wire color isn't an issue.

k5dGl2Oh.jpg

uohNV0oh.jpg

It looks like the wires are heading to the BCM, but in some cases, the wire drops out before it actually gets to the BCM. (Per posts in this thread) And are not easy to find in the bundle, it seems most people just run a new wire.

The other thing, I believe 2016 models have to have the RF Hub changed.

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It looks like the wires are heading to the BCM, but in some cases, the wire drops out before it actually gets to the BCM. (Per posts in this thread) And are not easy to find in the bundle, it seems most people just run a new wire.

The other thing, I believe 2016 models have to have the RF Hub changed.

Re wiring/BCM crap I hope not - well I guess I will find out when it's all installed. If it doesn't get back to the BCM I may just do the resistor trick instead.

Yeah have 2017 RF Hub on the way - doing proximity/PTS as the same time.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Re wiring/BCM crap I hope not - well I guess I will find out when it's all installed. If it doesn't get back to the BCM I may just do the resistor trick instead.

Yeah have 2017 RF Hub on the way - doing proximity/PTS as the same time.
I can’t see them blunt cutting a wire off in the middle of the body harness, but, if you’re wondering about it, just look up at the BCM C1 connector real quick. It’s up behind your brake pedal. The arrow is pointing at that connector, and there would be only one purple wire that goes into it. The purple wire has a blue stripe. 1ohvL5w.jpg

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I can’t see them blunt cutting a wire off in the middle of the body harness, but, if you’re wondering about it, just look up at the BCM C1 connector real quick. It’s up behind your brake pedal. The arrow is pointing at that connector, and there would be only one purple wire that goes into it. The purple wire has a blue stripe. 1ohvL5w.jpg

I was just basing that off posts in this thread. It is not hard to run the wire, just takes a little time to get it in the BCM, you can only get one hand on it at a time.

Remen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
In my truck the hood latch connector was factory wired from the PCM to the connector but wires to the BCM were missing. Mpgrimm2 fabricated a harness with the required terminals and longer leads to complete the connections. Use a piece of romex wire to fish the harness behind the battery mounts on the left fender and through the clutch plate on the firewall. I removed the headlight switch for a better view of the BCM connectors and pinned the terminals to their respective connector. Purchased two new OEM fobs with the remote start option on eBay for $83 including key blanks. Installed the latch, programmed remote start with the AlfaOBD app, and programmed the fobs. It’s hot in the Central Valley so I leave the Automatic Temperature Control setting @ 72 degs and use the remote start to cool the cab prior to entering. Works great!

Flatblack79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I installed the Mopar 82215050 Remote start kit on my 17 laramie, hood latch only, wiring was already there on the laramie harness. I had the key fobs programed first using my original fob that did not have the remote start button. At the time i did not know the truck had to be programed and the dealer Ive been dealing with didnt inform me either. Obviously the remote start didnt work, so i had the XBM code uploaded to the truck but the dealer did not update my fobs, remote start still doesnt work. Do I need to have the fobs recoded again?

15bighorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
quick question, my buddy has a 2015 express and I have the alfa program does he need anything in order for me to add remote start to his truck, hes not worried about the hood ajar function, he has a 2 button remote

fraleywp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I installed the Mopar 82215050 Remote start kit on my 17 laramie, hood latch only, wiring was already there on the laramie harness. I had the key fobs programed first using my original fob that did not have the remote start button. At the time i did not know the truck had to be programed and the dealer Ive been dealing with didnt inform me either. Obviously the remote start didnt work, so i had the XBM code uploaded to the truck but the dealer did not update my fobs, remote start still doesnt work. Do I need to have the fobs recoded again?
I did mine using AlphaOBD. I did not have to do anything special with they remote start key fobs. I also have a Laramie but it's a 2018. I don't think it was fully enabled on the BCM for your truck. There were several things that had to be changed using Alpha.

Sent from my Z2_PRO using Tapatalk

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins

If your fobs start the truck then they are programmed correctly.

How long ago did the dealer add the sales code?

When you double click the remote start button, does the doors lock and horn beep?

If not then It's possible that the sales code didn't take.

You said you truck already was wired for the remote start, did it have the connector to plug into the hood latch?

2018 2500 6.4L Tradesman

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
quick question, my buddy has a 2015 express and I have the alfa program does he need anything in order for me to add remote start to his truck, hes not worried about the hood ajar function, he has a 2 button remote

2013-(16 I believe), definitely the 2015's have to have a new rf hub, remotes, and antenna, not sure if you can just ground pin 11 ( if it's the same on 2015). He'd be better off buying the complete kit. Installation is a bit more involved because the antenna is behind the rear seat and there was something about dropping the headliner for something. Programming would be the same

2018 2500 6.4L Tradesman

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Like 1500ram12 said, pre-2017 need a different rf hub. Problem is, AlfaOBD isn’t capable of programming a new rf hub and fob to the truck for the baseline fobs (non push button start). Another member tried to have the developer make it capable, but that seemed to throw the baseline fob programming into a tailspin for a while. I think it works again, but not sure if that feature is added. You’ll probably still have to get the dealer to add the sales code for the remote start with new hub.

hougie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Morning guys, I've got a 2017 ram 2500. I changed the overlays, added the hood switch off a 2013 and wired it to plug under fuse box. It was populated on body side. Went to dealer and they added sales code. The problem is that It doesn't receive any signal from my fobs. Is there a way to tell if I have the wrong Rf Hub or if dealer messed up?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Morning guys, I've got a 2017 ram 2500. I changed the overlays, added the hood switch off a 2013 and wired it to plug under fuse box. It was populated on body side. Went to dealer and they added sales code. The problem is that It doesn't receive any signal from my fobs. Is there a way to tell if I have the wrong Rf Hub or if dealer messed up?

When you double click the remote start button do the doors lock and lights flash and horn sound?

It's possible that the sales code didn't take. It's happened to me before when I've added fog lights before I bought alphaobd. Took the dealer 2-3 times flashing the code for the truck to take it.

It's also a slight possibility that if you have a very early production 17 that it has a 2013-16 rf hub.

I'd have the dealer reflash it and they should be able to get the part number off of the rf hub and check to see if it's actually a 2017 hub

2018 2500 6.4L Tradesman

hougie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Nothing happens at all when I double click the remote start button. I have a snap on scanner and can see remote start is enabled and the horn option is one available in my display on truck but nothing happens when I do fob. I believe it's a 01-17 build date. I went into rfh hub and can't see much but can see that it recognizes me pushing remote start button. It's wil shop up as last button pushed on rke. Not sure if that makes a difference

Last edited:

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
If you can tell the computer responds to the remote and nothing else happens it's still possible that the truck just didn't take the sales code. It may show up that it's programmed but isn't. If you can get the part number off of the rf hub that will let you know if you are able to just activate remote start or if you have to replace the rf hub. It doesn't sound like it has anything to do with the hood latch, you would have something come on the evic stating hood open or something.

You can try and disconnect your battery to see if that resets something.

@Jimmy07 any ideas?

2018 2500 6.4L Tradesman

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Even if you don’t install the hood latch, or wire it completely wrong, if the doors are unlocked and you hit the remote start button, the doors should lock at the very least to indicate the signal was received. Curious what the rf hub part number is.

hougie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks guys, is there a way to get part number without taking it back to dealer?