How to add remote start to 2017 Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks guys, is there a way to get part number without taking it back to dealer?
Yeah, it isn’t easy, though. It’s mounted to the wall behind the back seat towards the driver side. Can the snap on tool pick it up?

hougie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yeah, it isn’t easy, though. It’s mounted to the wall behind the back seat towards the driver side. Can the snap on tool pick it up?
I can pick up some of the different BCM modules and get some part number but I didn't see rfh on anything that I thought was it.

hougie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Afternoon, I pulled the back seat and part # 68319677AC is what I have. I went and talked to tech today again. He believes it is my rke fobs. Apparently they have an rke tester and it mine don't emit a signal from remote start button. He said it took the remote start program in truck but they cannot see a signa from fobs. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Afternoon, I pulled the back seat and part # 68319677AC is what I have. I went and talked to tech today again. He believes it is my rke fobs. Apparently they have an rke tester and it mine don't emit a signal from remote start button. He said it took the remote start program in truck but they cannot see a signa from fobs. Any ideas?
That’s the first I’ve heard of that before, although, there’s a member on cumminsforum that recently had the exact same issue. He never reported back. The hub is correct. All I can think is try a new fob. Here’s a known working programmable (with AlfaOBD, anyway) fob- https://www.amazon.com/KeylessOptio...ywords=ram+gq4-53t+fob&qid=1570645513&sr=8-15

Is this dealer going to charge you to bring a fob in to program? If so, you might as well buy the AlfaOBD software at this point.

hougie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
That’s the first I’ve heard of that before, although, there’s a member on cumminsforum that recently had the exact same issue. He never reported back. The hub is correct. All I can think is try a new fob. Here’s a known working programmable (with AlfaOBD, anyway) fob- https://www.amazon.com/KeylessOptio...ywords=ram+gq4-53t+fob&qid=1570645513&sr=8-15

Is this dealer going to charge you to bring a fob in to program? If so, you might as well buy the AlfaOBD software at this point.

Yes, they said 50 dollars for programming two remotes. I looked at that fob but it says shipping to Canada at end of oct. hoping to find one on Amazon. ca as the shipping is was faster

RTom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
"Remote start cancelled hood open"

I installed the mopar remote start kit in my truck (2015 Tradesman 2500) last week. Took it to the dealership where the flashed it and programmed the keys.

We got the "remote start cancelled hood open" rejection whenever we tried to start it. They told me the hood latch was bad so I ordered a replacement. Replacement came in the mail today I installed it and still get the same rejection. I've gone through and inspected the harness from the latch, confirmed it is grounded and pinned correctly (pin 11). Is there something I'm missing or should check next? Losing my mind here...

RTom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
"Remote start cancelled hood open"

I installed the mopar remote start kit in my truck (2015 Tradesman 2500) last week. Took it to the dealership where the flashed it and programmed the keys.

We got the "remote start cancelled hood open" rejection whenever we tried to start it. They told me the hood latch was bad so I ordered a replacement. Replacement came in the mail today I installed it and still get the same rejection. I've gone through and inspected the harness from the latch, confirmed it is grounded and pinned correctly (pin 11). Is there something I'm missing or should check next? Losing my mind here...

Just had a chance to re-read this thread and the alpha obd one and saw the (hopefull) fix. Will try tonight after work.

RTom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well - went through with the alpha tool this morning and followed all the directions, let the truck sit for 30 minutes and still getting the hood open warning. Any other ideas???

duunoit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Not sure if it would give the same error, but I believe there are two settings in the BCM for different hood switch resistances. Any idea what your switch puts out and what your truck is expecting(BCM)?

RTom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Not sure if it would give the same error, but I believe there are two settings in the BCM for different hood switch resistances. Any idea what your switch puts out and what your truck is expecting(BCM)?

I tried it with both of the different resistances and no luck on either

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I tried it with both of the different resistances and no luck on either
Did you try jumping the 2 pins together at the hood latch connector?

RTom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Did you try jumping the 2 pins together at the hood latch connector?

Jumped the two pins at the latch and same error message. Even pulled the ply at pin 11 and checked to make sure it seated properly and appears to have done so

hougie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I got Alfaobd on you guys advice. Also a new rke . I programed new fob and my remote start works great. Also reset RF hub when changing tire pressure and now my old fobs work. Ugg:(

manny2308

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey all, what do I need to do to ground pin 11 at the Bcm? I already have the hub, antenna and remotes programmed. When I hit the remote start button twice, it locks the car and honks the horn. Just checked and I don’t have the connector next to the hood latch.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Hey all, what do I need to do to ground pin 11 at the Bcm? I already have the hub, antenna and remotes programmed. When I hit the remote start button twice, it locks the car and honks the horn. Just checked and I don’t have the connector next to the hood latch.

The cheapest way is to cut the wire or maybe use a t tap and find a good spot near by and ground it there. Problem is it's a pain to get to.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman

manny2308

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The cheapest way is to cut the wire or maybe use a t tap and find a good spot near by and ground it there. Problem is it's a pain to get to.

So I pin a wire to pin 11, run it to ground and secure it to metal with a ring terminal?

Last edited:

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
So I pin a wire to pin 11, run it to ground and secure it to metal with a ring terminal?

Yes. The wire in pin 11 (pink w/purple strip I think) runs through the firewall and terminates under the fuse box. Trucks with factory remote starts will have the wire continue from there to the hood latch connector. When the hood is closed it makes the ground connection complete. When the hood is open is breaks that connection telling the truck the hood is open. By grounding pin 11 you are tricking the truck into thinking the hood is always closed.