How to add remote start to 2017 Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thorvald

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well the report is in... apparently they have had this issue on a few 2017's... depending on build date your truck may not even have the correct RF Hub and Antenna... guess what... mine is one of those.

The correct kit part number is 82214877AB (for my particular build date) so I'm returning my old one and ordering the new. They really had to dig to find this info out... my VIN shows everything correct for the original kit (5050).

The clue was when they tried to test the signal for the remote start, they got nothing on the antenna section... Now why the hell the FCA Engineers used a different antenna from the one that is already present for the keyfob is beyond me...

---

This is where things get interesting... this new part number is nearly the same cost as the previous, includes all the same parts but adds the RF Hub, Antenna and Antenna Cable. So for future you might as well order this part number and if you don't need the hub/antenna, toss em. Worth the hassle of trying to exchange the wrong part.

82215050 = $344.35 CAD (Before Tax)
82214877AB = $356.15 CAD (Before Tax)

So for only $11.80 CAD more, you get all the parts you "MAY" need...

Very frustrating day.....

Tim

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What is your truck’s build date?

Thorvald

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine shows 03-17
Mfd by: FCA US LLC
Warren Truck Assembly Plant

---

Thankfully the place I ordered from seems to be accepting the return but we'll see about restocking fee etc.

Dealer was awesome, zero charge since we never got it to work... they just got a new customer for my Jeep and truck!

New part is on order... not looking forward to tearing the rear seats and A pillars and liners out...

Cheers
Tim

Last edited:
OP
OP
Moab_Rockstar

Moab_Rockstar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 2500
Engine
5.9L
The RF hub is fairly easy to get to, but there is no external antenna if you have Remote Keyless Entry (GXM). The only trucks that get an external antenna are the trucks with Keyless Enter N Go (GX4). That antenna is for the door to detect key presence. I'm not sure if the different part numbers are left/right or remote start/not. The sales codes attached to those are only GX4 for both, and X82 (door module) for one.
56046957AA GX4, X82
56046958AA GX4

There's still only 2 part numbers for RF hubs for any given key type.

Remote Keyless entry:
68319676AA RF Hub for Manual Trans
68319677AA RF Hub for Auto trans

Keyless Enter N Go:
68319678AA RF hub for Manual Trans
68319680AA RF hub for Auto Trans

There have been a few minor revisions to the RF hubs, to a AB, AC, and AD post-fix, but that should not change function. I'm guessing they put a manual RF hub in your truck at the factory. The manual hub doesn't have a pin for the trans signal. Without the trans signal, the RF hub and BCM aren't going to allow remote start.

I'm very curious as to what is going to be in the new kit you ordered. According to the instructions there is an RF hub and antenna in addition to the other parts, but according to the parts list for RAM, there is no external antenna, only things listed are the RF hub numbers I posted above. I didn't have to add an antenna. I don't recall if I have anything other than the body harness plugged into it or not. I had pulled the back panel to look at my RF Hub at some point, but I don't remember seeing a Fakra connector as shown in the new instructions.

Good luck.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I ordered the Mopar kit yesterday, to add remote start to my 2013 sport.

Mopar part# 82213587 seems to be for the 2013 only, previous and later years use different kits.

After downloading and reading the instructions, it appears I'm going to have a busy day with this install.

I'll be installing the hood latch, routing wires all the way back into the cab and integrating into the factory harness.

Then I'll be removing the rear seats, seat belts, storage tray, the A, B and C pillar trim on both sides so I can take down the headliner, removing the lower door jam sill plate trim, removing the back wall trim behind the rear seat and a few other things.

The RF box, on the back wall below the rear window, has to be replaced.

A RF antenna has to be added behind the headliner, above the rear window.

Wires connecting the RF antenna to the RF box routed around the rear window, down the driver side C pillar

A cable from the RF box routed down the back wall and along the floor under the door sill trim all the way forward to the BCM behind the driver side kick panel.

Then apparently, I'll have to leave the back wall trim out, so I can leave the old RF box plugged in, and drive to the dealer and have the new keys programmed.

Then I can come home and reassemble everything!

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
I ordered the Mopar kit yesterday, to add remote start to my 2013 sport.

Mopar part# 82213587 seems to be for the 2013 only, previous and later years use different kits.

After downloading and reading the instructions, it appears I'm going to have a busy day with this install.

I'll be installing the hood latch, routing wires all the way back into the cab and integrating into the factory harness.

Then I'll be removing the rear seats, seat belts, storage tray, the A, B and C pillar trim on both sides so I can take down the headliner, removing the lower door jam sill plate trim, removing the back wall trim behind the rear seat and a few other things.

The RF box, on the back wall below the rear window, has to be replaced.

A RF antenna has to be added behind the headliner, above the rear window.

Wires connecting the RF antenna to the RF box routed around the rear window, down the driver side C pillar

A cable from the RF box routed down the back wall and along the floor under the door sill trim all the way forward to the BCM behind the driver side kick panel.

Then apparently, I'll have to leave the back wall trim out, so I can leave the old RF box plugged in, and drive to the dealer and have the new keys programmed.

Then I can come home and reassemble everything!

You dont need to remove the A/B Pillars. Just the C is enough to wiggle it down to get your hand up to mount the antenna.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Awesome! That'll make life a little easier.

I'm guessing that since I'm having to add (not replace) an RF antenna for the remote start, that there must be an additional rf antenna somewhere that has been receiving the key fob signal.

So, with the new setup, I'll have the old rf antenna receiving the signal for the door lock/unlock and the new rf antenna receiving the remote start signal?

Seems a little weird to have 2 rf receivers integrated into 1 system, and receiving signals from 1 transmitter.

Where is the current rf receiver? Is it not capable of receiving the remote start signal from the key fob, eliminating the need for an additional rf antenna.

mcaligiuri

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ram 1500 express crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi
i just installed mine yesterday, scheduled for dealer next wednesday. installed the hood latch and wiring. my 2016 had the connector but under the fuse box under the hood it doesnt have the other end of the connector. Ran the supply hood harness. Removed the rear seat and have the old module zip tied to the back. Hoping this goes smooth.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My instructions say that in order to install this accessor, my truck must have an automatic transmission and keyless entry with immobilizer.

I have the automatic transmission and keyless entry, but not sure about the immobilizer. How do I know if it has an immobilizer?

Also, I'm seeing the occasional reference to a 4 digit PIN needed to program keys. Is this a concern and if so, how do I find this pin?

I purchased the truck used, and no pin was ever mentioned.

OP
OP
Moab_Rockstar

Moab_Rockstar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 2500
Engine
5.9L
My instructions say that in order to install this accessor, my truck must have an automatic transmission and keyless entry with immobilizer.

I have the automatic transmission and keyless entry, but not sure about the immobilizer. How do I know if it has an immobilizer?

Also, I'm seeing the occasional reference to a 4 digit PIN needed to program keys. Is this a concern and if so, how do I find this pin?

I purchased the truck used, and no pin was ever mentioned.

They all have the immobilizer (SKIM). If you have keyless entry, it's included. I'm not 100% sure, but if you have only a physical key, it might not have SKIM.

The PIN number is a security key that the dealer needs to activate Remote Start and program keys in the RF Hub. They already have it at the dealer.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Great. Thank you.

Mine has the remote type key fobs, with a lock, unlock and red panic button. I should be good to go!

I'm eager to get the remote start installed. Wife's Durango Citadel has it and it's super convenient on mornings when the Durangos encapsulated in a 2 inch thick she'll of ice.

On my truck I gotta beat on the ice untill I can get a big enough crack to start peeling off ice chunks around the door handle and door edges.

Wife just starts her Durango 30 minutes early from the living room.

LiqTenExp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK, so I got mine working. Here is the details of what it took to get there.

I have a 2017 Ram 1500 Express Hemi
  • I replaced the hood latch with the switched one
  • I had 2 purple wires in pins 5 and 6 of the harness underneath the fuse box next to the battery. They were on the drivers side of the connector and head towards the radiator area
  • Those two purple wires went to a connector under the stock hood latch that had the connector for the switched latch. It was taped up under there waiting to be used
  • I next made a harness with two wires
  • One wire went from pin 6 of the mating connector under the fuse box and went to a lug that attached to the ground bolt right next to the fuse box (http://connectors.dcctools.com/details.htm?id=217744)
  • Second wire went from pin 5 of the mating connector under the fuse box (http://connectors.dcctools.com/details.htm?id=217744) and went through the firewall through the grommet the hood latch release goes through to pin 11 of C1/A of the body control module (http://connectors.dcctools.com/details.htm?id=215368)
  • I had the dealer add the remote start code "XBM" (per first post)
  • I replaced my keypad inserts with ones from amazon (per first post)
  • I now have remote start working

Contacts for http://connectors.dcctools.com/details.htm?id=217744 are:
Delphi GT 150 series 18-16 gauge size part #15326269
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F7S5IB0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Contacts for http://connectors.dcctools.com/details.htm?id=215368 are:
Delphi HVT 120 series part #13627884-L
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/829-13627884-L?r=829-13627884-L

Thorvald

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well finally got around to installing my "full" kit today with nice weather on my early 2017. I followed the instructions and only removed the drivers side 60/40 rear seat.

Sure enough this was enough to bend the rear "firewall" cardboard/carpet to access where the hub is located. It wasn't so simple you really had to bed the rear "cardboard" to see the back wall and there was the old hub.

Then I had to route the antenna wire up to the top of the rear window which required pulling the headliner down. So I followed the instructions up to removing all the A pillars behind the drivers door but sure enough, there was no way to get the liner down far enough without removing all that crap. I also had to remove both the "coat hooks" on the rear roof as they prevented the liner from dropping enough.

Now to get REALLY pissed off. Same as the hood latch where there was an existing wiring harness that connected EXACTLY where it needed to be... there was an existing antenna unused connection of the EXACT same connector and colour of "hood". I followed the cable back but it went all the way to the front of the cab. So totally useless but strange how it was RIGHT there. So all Ram had to do was include the proper hub and hood switch and I bet it would have all worked. HELLO FCA, we are in 2018 now! Sheesh.

So once again totally annoyed at Ram, they pre-prepped the hood and it seems like the prepped the rear... but only the hood was usable. Grrr.

I mounted the "new" antenna and ran the wire down the B pillar and to the location of the existing hub on the back firewall. Then connected the new hub and tried the remote to test... of course NOTHING worked. The new hub is not programmed with the new remotes. So I was forced to leave the old hub connected to allow my keychain remote to work and will swap it over at the dealer when ready to re-program.

So I've left the rear drivers seat removed and the rear B pillar parts removed and will take it to get the keyfobs programmed and see if it works. Then I reconnect all the rest.

---

Word of warned to others, the headliner did NOT come down nicely... be VERY careful with it or you will end up with creases.

So frustrating, damn truck should have come with this pre-installed.

Will see how dealer goes tomorrow if I can get a service appointment.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Mine had a pre-wired antenna plug right where the new antenna goes. Same type and color.

Another plug, again, the correct type and color, right where the new RF module goes.

I assumed those two plugs were the ends of a single antenna wire, meant for the remote start setup, but wanted to make sure. That cable was routed into a thick harness bundle, so I couldnt trace the two plugs as being both ends of 1 cable.

I broke out my multimeter, low and behold there was continuity through those plugs. I installed the antenna and RF module, and just plugged in the prewired antenna cable.

OP
OP
Moab_Rockstar

Moab_Rockstar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 2500
Engine
5.9L
So, of those who have ordered the 2017-2018 install kits, is there a part number on your antenna in the kit?

I'm looking and looking through the parts database, and there is no part number or listing for the antenna. They don't even show a call out in any of the drawings. The wiring schematics do show antenna, and they tell you were it should be, but there is nothing listed in parts. Even when I'm under the Remote Start heading, all it shows is the RF hub, hood latch, and key fob. I've gone through all the other wiring and module headings, and they don't list it. Friggin anarchy man!

I assume at this point that if you buy an RF hub, the antenna is included, but it should still have it's own part number. Maybe not though. The key fobs are the same way. You can order new OEM button pads from a locksmith, but you can't get them at a dealer, they just replace the whole key.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I bought extra emply 4 button fob housings on eBay for 6.00 each, with the rubber inlay.

bacon13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

LiqTenExp- I have the same setup as you describe. I need to make myself the two wires to run from the connector under the hood. My question is do I need two of each type of connector you describe above? It's been awhile since I looked at those pins under the hood. I would like to order these connectors but don't know how many of each kind I need. How did you put each wire together? Wire 1 uses pin X on one end and pin Y on other? Please help me out with the correct config of each wire.

LiqTenExp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You don't need any connectors, just 3 pins, wire, and a terminal to ground to.

You need 2 of the GT150 series and 1 of the DVT 120 series.

NoR125

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have a 17 ram 2500 6.7 cummins, purchased 82214054, labeled as 1500/2500 remote start kit. Installed hood latch, ran wiring to ground lug at FUSE box and continued single wire through firewall into top left BCM connector pin 11. My pin 11 was populated, removed as per instructions and replaced. Did the new RF hub, and antenna above headliner.
Brought to dealer to flash and they could not get to work. New RF hub would trip TPMS lights (all blank) and would make park indicator flash. Replacing original RF hub cured both problems.
Just tried to switch the inlays from remote start key fobs to my original key fob, still no remote start.
I really wish I would have just went aftermarket, haha...

OP
OP
Moab_Rockstar

Moab_Rockstar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 2500
Engine
5.9L
The dealer probably missed a step. They are supposed to add the sales code to the VIN, and then they will "restore" the BCM and RFhub with their vehicle tool. There are a handful of register bits in the software that are rewritten to say that remote start is equipped. They should have checked that the changes were written. WiTech will tell them whether or not remote start is enabled for each module.