How-To: Add USB Charger Outlet in Rear Doors

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
Anyone though of adding some USB ports on your console? Circled areas. Wonder if enough space to do so? Piggy back of 12v cigarette lighter. Wanting to add one USB and one cigarette lighter for goodies

You must be registered for see images attach

I added 2 ports to the back of my center console. Each port has 3 USB. I tied into the 12v cigarette lighter spot in the back. You could do the same. Consider if you want always on, or switched power though. The cigarette port is switched.

CAG CheechDogg

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I added 2 ports to the back of my center console. Each port has 3 USB. I tied into the 12v cigarette lighter spot in the back. You could do the same. Consider if you want always on, or switched power though. The cigarette port is switched.
I have those already ... I want some in the back either the doors or by the foot vents .. I just need to figure out how to wire them up

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

rangemaster728

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Just did this on the rear doors of my 2020 Classic Tradesman. Easy mod.

Installed USB lighted dual-port modules w/QC 3.0 capability and an ON-OFF switch.

Even though they have a power switch I still used the wire on the window switch that is controlled by the key to avoid parasitic drain.

Quick Charge 3.0 Dual USB Charger... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082PNLMDS?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Inexpensive and no clearance problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bloup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2017 Sport with center console has a 12v outlet for people in the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DoughRat19

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Decided to tackle this mod. I didn’t wanna splice into the factory wiring, so far on all the mods I have done I have been able to avoid splicing into anything, so I’m working on a plug and play harness. Anyway, I’m not done yet but I did test out the USB port today and works great. Also love the fact that if you engage the window lock it kills power to the USB port. I can use that as leverage when my kids aren’t behaving!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Decided to tackle this mod. I didn’t wanna splice into the factory wiring, so far on all the mods I have done I have been able to avoid splicing into anything, so I’m working on a plug and play harness. Anyway, I’m not done yet but I did test out the USB port today and works great. Also love the fact that if you engage the window lock it kills power to the USB port. I can use that as leverage when my kids are behaving!

haha, the window lock is nice! Although sometimes I hear, "hey the charger isn't working?!"

Oops lol.

DoughRat19

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
haha, the window lock is nice! Although sometimes I hear, "hey the charger isn't working?!"

Oops lol.

finished it up today. Works great.

tnctx02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM SLT
Engine
3.6L Pentastar V6
Decided to tackle this mod. I didn’t wanna splice into the factory wiring, so far on all the mods I have done I have been able to avoid splicing into anything, so I’m working on a plug and play harness. Anyway, I’m not done yet but I did test out the USB port today and works great. Also love the fact that if you engage the window lock it kills power to the USB port. I can use that as leverage when my kids aren’t behaving!

Where did you find the connectors? Really like the way you tackled this!!

DoughRat19

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
you have to buy a minimum quantity of 20 each which ends up being well over $100. Not very economical when you add in all the other parts and the USB ports. I’m thinking about possibly making a few kits of these to sell but we’ll see.

Last edited:

tnctx02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM SLT
Engine
3.6L Pentastar V6
Yeah, was planning on spending that much to add2 USB ports !