How to Center Steering Wheel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RVA Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi All,

I have a 2014 RAM 1500 with fox 2.0's and Zone UCA's. I've taken the truck to multiple alignment places and all of them have had a hard time centering the wheel. The dealership has tried twice now and they can't fix it. It looks like some of the older models had a drag link with 2 bolts that made it pretty easy to adjust. What is the procedure on the newer trucks with power steering?

OP
OP
RVA Ram

RVA Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I think I may have found my answer. It looks like you can just adjust the tie rods on each side by either lengthening or shortening them in opposite directions depending on which way you need the wheel to go.

mboymopar

MOPAR
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Sport
Engine
345 HEMI
If it’s already aligned, won’t that adjustment through it off?
I would think taking the steering wheel off, and moving it might work too.
Could be wrong......

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
Monkeying with the tie rod ends can get the steering wheel centered, but you'd better not do it unless you have the means to set the toe properly while you're doing it. Otherwise, you'll be very pleased with the job you did centering the steering wheel . . . until you see what you did to the tires.

OP
OP
RVA Ram

RVA Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would think if you moved the tie rods by the same amount on each side, it would keep the original alignment specs. Probably want to get an alignment check afterwards though to make sure nothing got way out of wack.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Moving them at all is going to change the toe. When doing an alignment, you put the wheel straight then adjust each tie rod to get the toe into spec. If the wheel isn’t where you want it, you start over.

You need to find a shop that will be able to get the wheel where you want it.

Even if you get the wheel straight by adjusting them like the video, then take it for an alignment, they’re going to have to do it all over anyway.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
Toe-in is an extremely delicate adjustment. It is true that if you move each tie rod end an equal amount, you have maintained the setting. How do you know that you have moved them precisely the same amount? You don't, unless you have the proper means to check the toe-in. I don't know what the specs are for toe-in, but the last time I was aligning front ends, probably around 1977, toe-in on a lot of stuff was around 0 to 1/8" total toe, IIRC. My best guess is that that translates to about 1/2-turn on one of those adjusters, possibly a little more, but not much. That might vary a little bit, too, depending on just how clean the threads are on the tie rods and adjusting sleeves. (No exaggeration.)

OP
OP
RVA Ram

RVA Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks all, I guess it's time to try another shop.

thade

Reaction score
I have the same issue with my 17. Bought it new, dropped it 2/4, and its been to 3 shops for alignment and the wheel is still cocked to one side. I was finally told there was nothing more they could do and I needed to take it to the dealer to have the steering reset. Frustrating as hell, but I just gave up and try to ignore it when I drive it.

FF1899

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If they run win toe only on it it will straighten the wheel out however that compensates for everything else and can still have premature tire wear. Adjusting them yourself is a bad idea especially if you have to YouTube how your steering system off. Even if you turned them the exact amount by eye I would put any amount of money your alignment will be way out. It needs to be properly aligned on a machine not guess in a driveway. If you have taken it to all those places I would suggest going back to them all and getting your money back. If the heads are hooked up correctly and the machine is calibrated properly either 1 the tech did a quick job in and out to get his flat rate and be done with it 2 there is something else out of line hes not smart enough to look for after you are still having the problem or 3 combining both he was to lazy to do a caster sweep after knowing you still have a problem because that takes an extra 2 minutes or he didnt have enough common sense to do so. They can have the toe dead on and if there is an unusual caster or something slightly off on the back or any other measurements adjustable or not it can throw it off. Just because say theres no adjustment to the rear control arms doesnt mean something isnt slightly bent or worn out causing the wheel to be off. They have to and it is their job to analyze the measurements and find your problem. Quite honestly it's not all that hard either if they take the time. Hell have them print your specs and post them here I'm sure alot of us can point it out as long as they have the steering wheel set straight prior to the print

OP
OP
RVA Ram

RVA Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Whats a bummer is the last two adjustments were done at the dealership. After the first alignment my steering wheel was literally pointing between 9-10. I immediately turned around and took it back. An hour later they said it was adjusted. I pulled out of the dealership and the wheel was still at 11 o'clock. I could have turned around again but was sick of being at the dealership.

smithwessn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The first step in an alignment is to center the steering wheel. Adjustments are then made as needed to bring everything into spec relative to the centered steering wheel.

I had the same problem after I installed my level spacers. I stopped at a chain store tire shop for an alignment, against my better judgment. I immediately went back because the wheel was off. 3 times. By the 4th time of going back in, the manager, the tech and I were all so frustrated, he refunded my money just so I would go away. Then a friend of mine knew an alignment guy. When he was finished, the wheel was still off. I finally went to a local alignment specialty shop and low and behold, I had a centered steering wheel and the truck tracked straight going down the road.

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is the wheel off the same amount all the time?
I ask because there is one road where I live, that every time I drive on it, the steering wheel is slightly off center. As soon as I’m off that road, the wheel is back to normal.
That particular road has a lot more crown than a standard alignment accounts for.

Just a thought; is there anything differences in the tie rods and steering rack between trucks with the electronic power steering, vs the older ones that have regular hydronic power steering?
If so, would these differences make it harder to center the steering wheel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rwgarrison23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You leave the truck running while setting toe. Leaving it running doesnt put any pressure point like it does when it turns off. Make sense. Works for me every time.