How to Connect alternator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Viper_cobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum V10
Hi everyone
I build an AC Cobra replica based on a ram gen II 8.0l V10 engine.
The alternator is the original with four cables.
1. B+ connects to battery +12V
2. Gnd connects to the frame
3. Blue cable
4. Green cable.
Found a wiring diagram (see enclosed) but I’m not sure. Normally one cable should connect to generator lamp on the dashboard (and from the lamp to ignition). Maybe the blue cable is the one to connect to the lamp... on my sketch it says 12v swl.. anyone who can confirm how to do.

Attachments

• DD5A7397-6564-4C83-AA92-6EF4583C1E1D.png
    DD5A7397-6564-4C83-AA92-6EF4583C1E1D.png
    15.7 KB · Views: 12

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hi everyone
I build an AC Cobra replica based on a ram gen II 8.0l V10 engine.
The alternator is the original with four cables.
1. B+ connects to battery +12V
2. Gnd connects to the frame
3. Blue cable
4. Green cable.
Found a wiring diagram (see enclosed) but I’m not sure. Normally one cable should connect to generator lamp on the dashboard (and from the lamp to ignition). Maybe the blue cable is the one to connect to the lamp... on my sketch it says 12v swl.. anyone who can confirm how to do.
1628717195979.png

You can connect the blue wire to the charging lamp in the cluster. Your diagram looks okay,

OP
OP
V

Viper_cobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum V10
Many thanks fast69mopar!

So, I go with the blue wire from alternator to the regulator “top post”. The wire continues to battery+ (Where Your is red and mine is blue). Im thinking of connecting it where the fuse box gets its +12V from the battery.
1. Can the cable from the top post of regulator be the same thickness as the one, coming from the alternator or how thick must it be?
2. Should it be fused (then there will be a risk of blowing the regulator if the fuse blows)
3. Exactly where/how do I hook up my charging lamp? Made a suggestion (enclosed) does it look ok?

Attachments

• Laddningsrel2.png
    Laddningsrel2.png
    47.9 KB · Views: 6

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
the wires to the regulators don't really carry much current. they're more for, simplified, sensing a voltage differential. I tend to 'over wire' my vehicles. so I used 2 gauge welding wire from the alternator output to the battery. for the wires going to the regulator, I just used 14 gauge for all wires. no fuse is necessary.

can't help you with the lamp question. I generally use a voltmeter. those usually connect to the battery and a second lead to a peripheral load.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Many thanks fast69mopar!

So, I go with the blue wire from alternator to the regulator “top post”. The wire continues to battery+ (Where Your is red and mine is blue). Im thinking of connecting it where the fuse box gets its +12V from the battery.
1. Can the cable from the top post of regulator be the same thickness as the one, coming from the alternator or how thick must it be?
2. Should it be fused (then there will be a risk of blowing the regulator if the fuse blows)
3. Exactly where/how do I hook up my charging lamp? Made a suggestion (enclosed) does it look ok?
I am sorry I didn't see your post. Again, ever since the website changed a few weeks ago I stopped receiving notifications. No matter what I change or change back I still don't get them. I used to get an email notification every 5 minutes when someone would respond to a post. Oh well.

Like @reek posted, regulator wiring does not carry much of an amperage load so the wire size can be smaller. I normally use a 14-16 gauge wire for my regulators.

Now, when it comes to wiring that carries B+ battery voltage I always install an inline fuse. We don't want a wire with constant battery volts running through it to become shorted to ground so an inline fuse is necessary.

Your diagram looks like mine in reference to the charging indicator so it will work. On the car you are wiring are you using a carb or fuel injection? If using fuel injection which ECU setup are you using?

This is normally what I use as a reference when wiring a Mopar...

1628851618224.png1628851618224.png

OP
OP
V

Viper_cobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum V10
Thank you so much! I now know how to connect. This is a great forum!
I have got a new issue. Will start a new thread. Anyone know much about the starter...?

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I am sorry I didn't see your post. Again, ever since the website changed a few weeks ago I stopped receiving notifications. No matter what I change or change back I still don't get them. I used to get an email notification every 5 minutes when someone would respond to a post. Oh well.

Like @reek posted, regulator wiring does not carry much of an amperage load so the wire size can be smaller. I normally use a 14-16 gauge wire for my regulators.

Now, when it comes to wiring that carries B+ battery voltage I always install an inline fuse. We don't want a wire with constant battery volts running through it to become shorted to ground so an inline fuse is necessary.

Your diagram looks like mine in reference to the charging indicator so it will work. On the car you are wiring are you using a carb or fuel injection? If using fuel injection which ECU setup are you using?

This is normally what I use as a reference when wiring a Mopar...

your post just reminded me, the 12V+ running to the middle peg on the regulator should be a switchedl 12V+. if you connect it directly to the battery, it will drain your battery at a trickle.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
your post just reminded me, the 12V+ running to the middle peg on the regulator should be a switchedl 12V+. if you connect it directly to the battery, it will drain your battery at a trickle.
You are correct. It does need to be connected to a switch 12V source, not a constant 12V source.

OP
OP
V

Viper_cobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum V10
Thanks for your support guys.
I have connected the voltage regulator and it works fine. However, I do not get it, how to connect the charging lamp. I have tested to connect the two connectors on the lamp:
- Blue and Ground
- Green and ground
- Blue and green
- Green and Positive
- in line green (through the lamp)
- In line blue (through the lamp)

Nothing of the above seems to work. Anyone who has got an idea?

Attachments

• 23A10A13-1E6F-45BC-9AF9-1A8750F22E66.jpeg
    23A10A13-1E6F-45BC-9AF9-1A8750F22E66.jpeg
    108.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 53146A3F-0ECC-4DD2-916D-EA1099DF159A.jpeg
    53146A3F-0ECC-4DD2-916D-EA1099DF159A.jpeg
    131.4 KB · Views: 5