How to deepen exhaust tone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ed_H

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey y'all, this is my first post here so if it's in the wrong spot please let me know.

Anyways, I have a '03 Ram 2500 with the 5.7 Hemi. Its got the single, side exit exhaust, no CAT (it rusted out on the previous owner, so he just straight piped it and I don't have e-check where I live) and a muffler from Midas. It's really loud right now but I'm fine with that, my only issue is with the tone of the exhaust. It's a little high pitched for my taste and when I go to shift or get on the gas hard, you start to hear a crackle.

I don't have the money for a new CAT or exhaust system so I'm asking for ideas on how to get rid of the crackle and deepen the tone of the exhaust without killing my wallet. Would a larger tailpipe (everything after the muffler) or a large exhaust tip do anything to help? Or is there an aftermarket item that I could fit before or after the muffler to catch the short high pitched sound waves? The crackle is really the part that I want to get rid of.

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Put a 18” magnaflow on it with a 5” tip. That will give a nice deeper growl. Might loose some db but that’s not a big deal.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That "crackle" as you call it is a defining part of the iconic hemi sound. You'd need to go to something else all together to get away from it.
As far as the depth, deeper growl, that's easy to improve on, but not with a "bud-light" budget.
I have the Gibson all stainless "Super Truck" system which is just the cat-back, which you could get for that deep, rich sound you want.
I eventually added the Gibson SS headers, but that's another story.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
cats are the best mufflers. find a used 03 cat in the junk yard or somewhere will be your best bet and you can keep your parts store muffler.
it will always sound junky with no cats and a no name white box muffler
if im not mistaken the 03s have only 1 cat so thats not so bad to replace.
if you start playing with changing mufflers to find the right sound for you its going to cost money too

OP
OP
Ed_H

Ed_H

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the replies. I'll see what I can work up with my Bush/Coors light budget lol. My buddy has an '05 hemi with the cat and muffler but he welded new 4" or 5" pipe on from the muffler back and it has the much deeper growl that I am going for. I'll keep an eye out for CATs in the local pull-a-parts and I think I'll try and do what he did with the bigger exhaust pipe since mine is only 2.5" if I recall.
Are there any good places to buy exhaust pipe and fittings (90 and 45 elbows) for that large a pipe? Or should I just figure out how to bend that large an exhaust pipe? I'm guessing an exhaust tip only wouldn't provide much change, am I correct in that assumption?

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Sounds like you have a flow through glass pack style muffler, get a chambered muffler that can absorb and cancel out the crackle.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Speaking of Flowmaster, does anyone have the Flowmaster "Lamimar Flow" muffler ?