Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to disable the immobilizer system?

Discussion in 'Audio & Electronics' started by WMick, Jan 13, 2021 at 12:55 PM.

1. WMick

WMick Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Happy New Year Folks - I started thinking about putting a remote start on my '04 1500. As I get older, I enjoy scraping windows, before work, less and less.

As I start to think things through.... I realize that my truck has the transponder key immobilizer system... Sounds like adding one of those key-in-the-box bypass gadgets is a common. fix... I only have one transponder key at the moment so I'd need to get another programmed...

What Id really like to do, is just eliminate the immobilizer system completely... I live out in a spot where security isn't a high priority... If the immobilizer were deactivated, it would just eliminate one potential headache for me down the road...

Can it be done, and if so how to go about it. ??

Thanks a bunch.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021 at 2:01 PM
  2. Oliver Closehauf

Oliver Closehauf Member

Ram Year:
    2005 Laramie
    Engine:
    Cummins 5.9
    Since nobody responded yet, I looked at the service manual and it looks to me like you would just unplug the box at the steering column, but then you would need someone with a DRBIII scan tool to program the rest of system to operate without it. I'm not positive about that, but that's what it looks like to me.

3. HemiLonestar

HemiLonestar Senior Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 hemi
    You'd have to remove the SKIM (Sentry Key Immobilizer Module) from the column and REPLACE (not reprogram) your PCM. Virgin PCM's can be put anywhere but once a PCM gets a SKIM initialized to it, it's a SKIM PCM from then on out. All it takes is putting a PCM into a BUS that still has the SKIM installed and turning the key on. As soon as the juice hits, the SKIM sends a signal to the PCM and ruins it forever lol. So, remove SKIM, install virgin PCM, either pre-flashed to your VIN (ensuring they didn't specify SKIM) or flashed at a shop.