How To Dress Up AfterMarket Tow Mirrors, (Rattle, Exposed Wires, etc)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MartyZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 5.7l Hemi
So I watched 2 minutes of a 15 minute video on YouTube, So I'm what you would call a professional. :33:
Lol, I originally was trying to determine where my rattling noise was coming from. It sounded like a metal bead inside a plastic box. Turns out I wasn't too far off.

To save you guys some time and research, This is the easiest way to remove your mirror Pane:

1- Flip Tow Mirrors up (Tow Position)
2- Push the smaller mirror to point up (towards the large one) as far as it will go
3- Do the same thing with the large mirror (I gently pressed from the top edge with my thumbs until it was pointed up towards the top of the housing as far as it could.)

4- Put your fingers between the top and bottom mirrors (In the gap you just made) and gently pull the bottom of the larger mirror toward you, out of the housing.
(I recommend 2 hands and pull evenly. It will make some noise so don't be scared. I didn't break mine

5- the bottom of the mirror will release from the clips with a little pressure and then the top will come out. Unplug your defroster wires if you have them and set the mirror in a safe place.

6- With the mirror Pane out, You can now access the wiring, lights, motor, and the switching module.
PXL_20210622_002347759.jpg
The rattling noise I had was coming from the switching module (Screwdriver showing location)
Turns out these mirrors automatically switch the motor direction if the mirrors are flipped up.

PXL_20210622_002801189.jpg
In Tow Mode, the module sits like shown above, there is 2 small orange switches with a contactor inside them. Unlike most contactors these are switched by gravity. They both fall to the side and allows current to pass to the proper motor wires so that your vertical and horizontal axis are correct.

PXL_20210622_002815259.jpg
In Regular Mode (Mirrors down) the module sits as shown above. The contacts flip back and allows current to pass through the other channels and flips your vertical and horizontal axis.
The contacts inside the orange boxes sound like a baby's rattle. I was able to muffle them with some foam tape stuck to the orange box and then wrapped the black case with some electrical tape. Its still there but much quieter.
I also took the time to wrap the rest of the exposed wires in electrical tape so that they are not visible between the mirrors anymore.
After everything is wrapped up:

7- Push the motor face plate back to being flat (or at least close)
8- Reconnect your defrost wires to the back of the mirror pane
9- Place your mirror over the motor and square it up to the mirror housing.
10- Gently and evenly press near the center of the mirror pane until it snaps into place. Give it a few more pushes in different places to ensure all clips are engaged.
11- Re-adjust your mirrors.

I hope this is helpful to someone. I was looking for a write up on this but the best I found was a YouTube video that wasn't very informative.

OP
OP
MartyZ

MartyZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 5.7l Hemi
They were an Amazon purchase, DNA Motoring TWM-013-T888-BK-SM
I'm happy with the mirrors now that the rattling is addressed.
I was trying to save money and ended up with what I paid for.
No regrets on them yet.