How to Fluid Film your truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I hate salt so I’m going to like your post and then unlike it because that’s the only way I can unlike it

LOL
LOL salt blows. And they announced last month that our town just got a brine truck. That is nasty stuff because it stick to everything

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just remembered, if you look up at the pinch welds of the rocker panels you can see the separation of the 2 chambers in the drain holes

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Ha sounds just like here. If there's a flurry in the air they throw 10 tons of salt down "just in case it gets slippery"

Same around here. Its obnoxious. A waste of money. And the salt is bad for the environment. But shh, don’t tell that to people who hate us V8 drivers. Its actually just as slippery or more so in the summer when it drizzles and there’s pollen all over the pavement people don’t seem to give a SHT then!

If I had a dollar for every time i see a co-worker’s face turn ghostly pale when they find out they might have to drive home in an afternoon flurry, I could prob retire. How did everyone get around before AWD, LOL.

I did some fluid filming myself last weekend. Looks like I did it just in time. Still have to go back and probably double check some areas. And I have yet to hit the doors. Nice thread. :favorites13:

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My parents used to live up here in CT, they moved to VA in 2004.

First winter down there, my dad hopped into his Mustang GT convertible (all season tires, no snows :) ) and drove the 20 miles to work.

He gets there with 1/2" of snow on the ground and security guard asks WTF he was doing there...."we're closed, didn't you see all the snow!!!??"

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
My parents used to live up here in CT, they moved to VA in 2004.

First winter down there, my dad hopped into his Mustang GT convertible (all season tires, no snows :) ) and drove the 20 miles to work.

He gets there with 1/2" of snow on the ground and security guard asks WTF he was doing there...."we're closed, didn't you see all the snow!!!??"

Reminds me of an interview story I just read about Mark Trostle (SRT head of design). Proceeded to shock when he told people he drives his Hellcat to work everday during winter in Auburn Hills, with simple snow tires.
:roflsquared:

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Same around here. Its obnoxious. A waste of money. And the salt is bad for the environment. But shh, don’t tell that to people who hate us V8 drivers. Its actually just as slippery or more so in the summer when it drizzles and there’s pollen all over the pavement people don’t seem to give a SHT then!

If I had a dollar for every time i see a co-worker’s face turn ghostly pale when they find out they might have to drive home in an afternoon flurry, I could prob retire. How did everyone get around before AWD, LOL.

I did some fluid filming myself last weekend. Looks like I did it just in time. Still have to go back and probably double check some areas. And I have yet to hit the doors. Nice thread. :favorites13:
I know I hear you. People used to know how to drive rear wheel drive cars in the snow and ice no problem. Now everyone wants the roads bare at all times. I drive a work van while at work and it SUCKS in the snow. Always cracks me up when these people in their little AWD CUVs are all nervous about driving in the snow.

Don't even get me started on how bad salt is for the environment and yet it's ok to put a **** ton of it down everywhere

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I was just thinking that we could post the average amount we use for each spot in the truck.

Undercarriage ( including up inside rear bedsides) - 1 gallon minimum mixed with 1 quart of vegetable oil ( website says you can stretch it with vegi oil)

4 doors & tailgate together i use about 2 spray cans

Inside and Outside of rocker pannels ( 3 plugs behind doors & tape coverd holes under truck) - full can each side

Inside front fenders no more than between 1 can between the 2.

Frame rails - 1can each side.

Im probobly forgetting somthing.

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was just thinking that we could post the average amount we use for each spot in the truck.

Undercarriage ( including up inside rear bedsides) - 1 gallon minimum mixed with 1 quart of vegetable oil ( website says you can stretch it with vegi oil)

4 doors & tailgate together i use about 2 spray cans

Inside and Outside of rocker pannels ( 3 plugs behind doors & tape coverd holes under truck) - full can each side

Inside front fenders no more than between 1 can between the 2.

Frame rails - 1can each side.

Im probobly forgetting somthing.

Great idea !! One thing I forgot to note earlier is the 360* wand for the spray cans goes through a can QUICK. Your estimations are spot on from what I remember about doing the truck with spray cans.

I used about 2/3s of a gallon doing the undercarriage and about 1.5 cans doing the door bottoms, tail gate, and hood. I laid it on thick too

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
You are right about that 360 wand. Its amazing the coverage you get but that can goes empty VERY quick indeed

Last edited:

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Reminds me of an interview story I just read about Mark Trostle (SRT head of design). Proceeded to shock when he told people he drives his Hellcat to work everday during winter in Auburn Hills, with simple snow tires.
:roflsquared:

That car would be ridiculousy fun with studs!!

smithj603

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 BigHorn CC
Engine
Great write up, I've been wanting to do something similar and would have missed a bunch of important areas. How does this stuff hold up throughout the winter with car washes? I'd imagine a drive thru wash with undercarriage sprayer should be avoided, or does it adhere well enough once cured?

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Great write up, I've been wanting to do something similar and would have missed a bunch of important areas. How does this stuff hold up throughout the winter with car washes? I'd imagine a drive thru wash with undercarriage sprayer should be avoided, or does it adhere well enough once cured?

In the winter to be safe I would do more of a low pressure rinse on the undercarriage or just stay further away with the power washer. rinsing it is ok but like any grease or oil you will take some off with a pressure washer.

I used a pressure washer on mine at a distance about once every week to two weeks last winter time depending on the weather and I still had some left when I reapplied last week

But to be fair mine was not all fluid film last winter, some of that was “corrosion free” brand

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used the Fluid Film last year on my Frontier and the Corrosion Free on my RAM this year.

Once mixed, the FF ends up kind of like a thin peanut butter consistency (think "peanut butter sauce" on ice cream).

The Corrosion Free is like a gel...reminds me of the consistency of naval jelly. No mixing it up, it comes out of the gallon like that. Not sure how it would work if you were just brushing it on, but it sprayed out nicely.

I discovered even a few more places I didnt get: frame rails IN the engine compartment, etc. So Ill be using the Lemmer 460 spray gun from Corrosion Free to spray the Fluid Film, hopefully this weekend. I imagine it will work better than the HF gun, but it did cost more!

misuracaf10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does the underbody have to be perfectly dry to apply this? I can’t get a Day here in Michigan without some rain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Does the underbody have to be perfectly dry to apply this? I can’t get a Day here in Michigan without some rain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can spray over damp/wet surface. I did the other weekend. And I think it says so on the cans. I had just power washed as much of the underside as I could get and wasnt in the mood to wait for it to dry.

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Thanks I figured it would help a lot of people in the salt belt keep their trucks longer. Most of the cars die around here because of rust not mechanical issues.

As stated above, I would avoid the car wash and pressure washers because it will wash off fluid film over time. Last winter I continued to hose off the undercarriage as I normally do in the winter when it's above 32* and there was still plenty of FF left just about everywhere.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
I dont know why but for some reason I will spray down the major under parts of the truck twice a year with pressure washer before I do each major fluid filming. I guess im just a little compulsive and like to get as much loose dirt and crap off as I can before I apply another coat. Even though I know it doesnt matter lol.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dont know why but for some reason I will spray down the major under parts of the truck twice a year with pressure washer before I do each major fluid filming. I guess im just a little compulsive and like to get as much loose dirt and crap off as I can before I apply another coat. Even though I know it doesnt matter lol.

I think its a good thing to do right before applying the FF, but during a normal wash I wouldnt want to pressure wash and risk washing off the FF.

I already have some leaves/mulch accumulating where I sprayed Corrosion free....I want to get them off but want to leave the CF intact, so Ill just hit under there with a regular garden hose nozzle.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I used the Fluid Film last year on my Frontier and the Corrosion Free on my RAM this year.

Once mixed, the FF ends up kind of like a thin peanut butter consistency (think "peanut butter sauce" on ice cream).

The Corrosion Free is like a gel...reminds me of the consistency of naval jelly. No mixing it up, it comes out of the gallon like that. Not sure how it would work if you were just brushing it on, but it sprayed out nicely.

I discovered even a few more places I didnt get: frame rails IN the engine compartment, etc. So Ill be using the Lemmer 460 spray gun from Corrosion Free to spray the Fluid Film, hopefully this weekend. I imagine it will work better than the HF gun, but it did cost more!

I agree that corrosion free works better.

My only reason i use fluid film is it seems to last long enough for one winter and I’m always going to do it once a year anyways. And I always do a few touchups here and there with a can. Even when I did corrosion free the first year I still did it again the next year because I wasn’t comfortable following their warrantee of 18 months. So I figured if I’m gonna do it at a maximum of every 12 months I might as well save a little bit of money and use fluid film because it’s a decent amount cheaper.

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Where can you get Corrosion Free online? The closest dealer to me is 75 miles away...