How to Fluid Film your truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Jellying is more funner

Im gona call it jellying
Whatever floats your boat. My Grandma jellied every year. Usually grape, sometimes strawberry.
But the diesel fuel in the tractor in the winter sometimes gelled. Kind of like the Fluid Film does.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Talked to a rep from NHOU last night. First off it was a very great conversation and it was just like talking to your buddy. Good personal like customer service. And he wanted to make sure I understood that not only do they sell the product but it’s the only product they use at their application locations.

So I asked two questions. First one was does it last longer than fluid film, and the answer was. Yes and no. The thick layer of it will not last as long like you would see from fluid film, but there’s still a remaining thin layer that sticks around for a long time. He could not say it lasted “longer” but he was confident a once a year application is enough and after doing that for a couple years, you may be able to skip a year here and there. They said it will initially wash away faster but leaves a thin coating.

The other question was rubber compatibility. He said anything underneath the truck like boots over the CV’s, body mounts, exhaust hanger rubber is all good but it WILL swell soft rubbers like door seals… just like all the others. As expected to be honest.

Im going to try it next year as an undercoating and inside everything.

He did say the aerosol cans have a slightly thinner product in them just so they spray easier out of the can but I was OK with that since I’ll be using it on internals anyways.

The other benefit is it sprays much easier than fluid film especially at lower temperatures. I think he said 50 or 55° was the cold temperature limit for Spraying. Dont quote that one.

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Talked to a rep from NHOU last night. First off it was a very great conversation and it was just like talking to your buddy. Good personal like customer service. And he wanted to make sure I understood that not only do they sell the product but it’s the only product they use at their application locations.

So I asked two questions. First one was does it last longer than fluid film, and the answer was. Yes and no. The thick layer of it will not last as long like you would see from fluid film, but there’s still a remaining thin layer that sticks around for a long time. He could not say it lasted “longer” but he was confident a once a year application is enough and after doing that for a couple years, you may be able to skip a year here and there. They said it will initially wash away faster but leaves a thin coating.

The other question was rubber compatibility. He said anything underneath the truck like boots over the CV’s, body mounts, exhaust hanger rubber is all good but it WILL swell soft rubbers like door seals… just like all the others. As expected to be honest.

Im going to try it next year as an undercoating and inside everything.

He did say the aerosol cans have a slightly thinner product in them just so they spray easier out of the can but I was OK with that since I’ll be using it on internals anyways.

The other benefit is it sprays much easier than fluid film especially at lower temperatures. I think he said 50 or 55° was the cold temperature limit for Spraying. Dont quote that one.
Thank you for reaching out to them, this is great info!

I believe I will be switching to NHOU for the internal coating and use the remaining FF/WW I have on the exterior surfaces.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
At this point I'm also considering NHOU for a blot busting penetrating oil. LOL

When I talk to the guy on the phone, the biggest thing he kept saying was how well the stuff creeped

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Creeping is one thing but if it's creeping that much it would disseminate and precipitate into non existence requiring more frequent recoating. It thins out too much for my liking.
I'll stick with Fluid Film. It has enough creeping properties for excellent coverage plus lasts all year and beyond.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Creeping is one thing but if it's creeping that much it would disseminate and precipitate into non existence requiring more frequent recoating. It thins out too much for my liking.
I'll stick with Fluid Film. It has enough creeping properties for excellent coverage plus lasts all year and beyond.
Roger

I fully get it

I still really do like fluid film. Mine is still on 90% of the underbody 1 year later. And some spots are TO thick with it after applying for 8 years. Some years 2x a year in the beg

The problem with fluid film on the inside of things like doors and rockers as it does gel up as we said. This New Hampshire oil undercoating will not do that and I think it’s a better option for internals. And they did assure me that one coding per year is enough for the under body as well. They apply the product themselves once annually to customer cars and Warranty it

Im gona try it just to try it. Cant hurt but I dont blame you for a second for sticking with FF. I really like FF

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
And FF does creep well. WW does creep as well, it just takes a long time. I would recommend coating in the spring or early summer if you're going to use WW...

Reactions: U&A

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
And FF does creep well. WW does creep as well, it just takes a long time. I would recommend coating in the spring or early summer if you're going to use WW...
So creep is a good thing? Looks like ffb doesnt creep as much, have you tried black? Maybe this was covered, I didnt want to read 55 pages this AM.

7 minute 20 mark, dude goes through a car wash :)

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
So creep is a good thing? Looks like ffb doesnt creep as much, have you tried black? Maybe this was covered, I didnt want to read 55 pages this AM.

Don’t think that has ever been mentioned. Thanks Mike!

Iv never cared what color the slimy goo is under my truck so I stick with the plain colored stuff. But i know some do use colored stuff so thanks!!!

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

7 minute 20 mark, dude goes through a car wash :)

Creeping ability is important because you can never spray it on every surface on the inside of a cavity, you will always miss areas. The creeping ability ensures it will migrate into those areas ensuring full coverage.

I never really understood why the black color was so popular. FF, WW, and NHOU all turn black over time as it accumulates dirt. I guess if you want it to look like it's painted black on the first application?

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Creeping ability is important because you can never spray it on every surface on the inside of a cavity, you will always miss areas. The creeping ability ensures it will migrate into those areas ensuring full coverage.

I never really understood why the black color was so popular. FF, WW, and NHOU all turn black over time as it accumulates dirt. I guess if you want it to look like it's painted black on the first application?
I never understood it either.

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The regular stuff is dirty enough when you have to work on anything underneath, can only imagine how dirty the black stuff must be