How To: Fogs on with the High Beams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I ordered a kit from this website, but after seeing how easy it is, I figured I would do a write up for those wanting to do this. The kit is nice, everything is included, but this could probably be done with $10 or less in materials from a local auto parts store.

Link to what I bought:

MrTailLight.com Online Store

What's included in the kit that you would need:

(1) standard relay
(2) wire taps (or t-taps)
(4) pieces of 16 gauge (or whatever you want to use)
(1) inline fuse
a few zip ties

Start off with the relay, I mounted it to the same bolt that holds the back of the headlight in place. That done, I ran the ground wire to the small bolt that holds the bumper to the fender. You'll only need about 6" or so from the relay to that bolt. I ran power to the battery with an inline fuse. Run a wire from the relay to the white wire with green stripe that goes into the high beam housing on the back of the headlight. I used a t-tap here. Then from the relay, drop a wire down inside the fender to the driver's side fog light bulb. Throw a t-tap on the driver's side positive to the fog light bulb (I tapped it to the connector that the bulb plugs into). I used a few zip ties to keep things neat.

That's all there is to it. As far as functionality, high beam works with the fogs as well as lows. Even if the fogs are off, when you click the high beams, the fogs kick on as well as high beams. The parking lights and headlights still function as normal.

I don't have any pictures as it was after dark when I finished tonight, but it's really pretty straight forward. The biggest hurdle was just knowing which factory wires to tap into.

**UPDATE for 2012s: I understand that you have to tap both drivers side and passenger side high beam to the positive on both fog lights. They must have changed some part of the computer system that's making this necessary. So for what you do on the drivers side, do the same for the passenger side too.

Last edited:

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
interesting I'll have to buy the relay and do this myself.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
I like this, but I don't want my fogs on all the time.

Well..........maybe. LOL

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
throw a switch inline with the wire that triggers the relay so you can make it an option. I would

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
In the 3rd gens, this was a TIPM setting that could be modified with the bullydog, I assume it should be able to be done on the 4th gens by your dealer / programmer / etc..

DOAX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
just a warning about these kits the wire taps (or t-taps) can cause a break in your wires. they will also over time corrode and make your lights stop working

my suggestion to solve this would be to cut your wires and splice every thing back toghter and use lots of wire grease and heat shrink

other than that the kit is awsome just be careful if your use the wire taps (or t-taps)

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
awesome info Kevin...thanks

OP
OP
Musclemckeester

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
In the 3rd gens, this was a TIPM setting that could be modified with the bullydog, I assume it should be able to be done on the 4th gens by your dealer / programmer / etc..

This has come up in discussions before. Dealers won't do it as it's some kind of safety violation (at least that's what I've been told) and no programmer can do it as of now.

just a warning about these kits the wire taps (or t-taps) can cause a break in your wires. they will also over time corrode and make your lights stop working

my suggestion to solve this would be to cut your wires and splice every thing back toghter and use lots of wire grease and heat shrink

other than that the kit is awsome just be careful if your use the wire taps (or t-taps)

Thanks for that info. If something stops working, I'll know where to start trubleshooting.

awesome info Kevin...thanks

No problem.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
There is still a setting to do this on H&S tuners for fourth gen diesels(10-12)

B-RadsBadRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
In several states its illegal to have fogs on with highbeams but the chances of you getttin pulled for that are slim.

OP
OP
Musclemckeester

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
There is still a setting to do this on H&S tuners for fourth gen diesels(10-12)

I wish I had that option...would have saved me $30 and about half an hour of time!

In several states its illegal to have fogs on with highbeams but the chances of you getttin pulled for that are slim.

Yes, I live in one of those states. This is for off road/rural areas only for me.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
If you get caught high beaming a cop you deserve a ticket lol

I turned this function on over a year and a half ago on my gf's dads 09 2500 with his mini maxx and he hasn't had a problem. I'm pretty sure he's forgotten that its on lol

OP
OP
Musclemckeester

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
On the 11s and up, I've been told you have to splice into the passenger side (not just drivers side) high beam. Not sure about the fogs. Try it my way then if one side doesn't work, just run a splice to the other side.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
not sure why it would matter. odd.

marksblaster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I got out and did my new 2011 2500 yesterday and hooked up drivers side to drivers side and it worked fine. Very bright going to work this morning at 4:30 am. Did the wifes 2012 1500 this afternoon the same way and the passenger side d-light wouldn't light on high beam. I untaped where I had soldered into the driving light wire and bared and soldered the p side wire to it and it worked fine. When you pull the headlight out you are right at the headlight wires and also the driving light wires. Very handy. Hope I dont have trouble with hers because she will let me know real quick!! Ha! Oh, FYI, You can still kill the drivers with the stock switch for low beam but they are always on with high beam. Mark

Last edited: