How to get oil pump working 8.0 V10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Viper_cobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum V10
Hi all.
Have now got my AC-Cobra with the 8.0 V10 engine up running. However, I do not dare to run it since I don’t get any oil pressure. The engine has been sitting for 10years during the building process.
Is there a way to bleed the pump to get it working? I have moved the oil filter due to space iasues, and have tried to pump oil “backwards” through the hoses connected to the oil filter. When running the engine I notice the oil circulates with very low pressure/flow. There is a screw on the side of the timing chain cover to remove a spring if I recall it right. Should I do something with that..?
Ideas anyone?

Attachments

• 6D0AB868-DACD-43FF-AEAD-E37E3CAE038C.jpeg
    6D0AB868-DACD-43FF-AEAD-E37E3CAE038C.jpeg
    86.9 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
V

Viper_cobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum V10
I should mention that I will do an oil pressure test. I am waiting for a testing gauge to arrive, hopefully tomorrow. However, if someone has an idea, please let me know.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It is called priming the pump. Maybe that will help.

OP
OP
V

Viper_cobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum V10
Thank you Daw14! My English isn’t that good. Anyone who has an instruction for that (O did search YouTube but couldn’t find anything relevant). Remember when I put the timing cover back, a year ago, I was greasing the rotor to get vacuum to suck up oil. After that I ran the crank with a power bolt driver and oil was pumped out. Now it seems dead and I hate to tear the chain cover down again if there is an easier way...

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Need to prime the pump. Even with the coil unplugged just the parts moving inside with no pressure can do some damage (albeit very minimal). After sitting for a long period the oil may have drained from the pump

OP
OP
V

Viper_cobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum V10
Yes, but how is the priming made properly. Just filling oil “backwards” through the hoses or is there something that I should do with the screw on the side of the timing chain cover?

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Not sure on Mopar engines or even what engine you are working on but all the Chevy engines I built I used a priming shaft with a drill. Pulled the distributor and slid the priming shaft down in to engage the slot then hook the drill to it. Spin the drill until you get pressure on your gauge. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOYLlr8uQ8k

OP
OP
V

Viper_cobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum V10
Thanks for the input dhay13. My pump is mounted to the crank. Seems like the chevys is more prepared for these issues than my mopar (slightly rebuilt)
Tonight I will try to pump oil backwards by filling the hoses with oil and then turn the engine manually backwards. Maybe then, the pump will start working. Keep you updated on the progress

OP
OP
V

Viper_cobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum V10
Update: Tried to get the pump working by turning the engine backwards and filling oil through the hose. When I ran the crank there were still no pressure. The pump just spits very small amount of oil. Will remove the oil pan tomorrow to check if somethings wrong with the pickup or filter.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
On the side of the timing cover is a relief spring . Or on the back of rear Pump cover bolts may have loosened and or gone missing .

OP
OP
V

Viper_cobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum V10
Removed the oil pan today. The pickup and “filter” looks good, all bolts for the pump are in place. Tomorrow I will either start with checking the pressure relief valve or try to put a small cup of oil under the pickup so it can suck directly from that one and then crank the engine.
Re the pressure relief valve. My guess is “As long as the valve closes properly, that can not be the cause of my problems”, or is there anything to test there..?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Do you have a known good oil pump? Most prime the pump by disconnecting the injector connectors so they can't fire and then they crank the engine until they see pressure.

OP
OP
V

Viper_cobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum V10
I run the engine on a aftermarket ECU-system. Meaning, I can shut on/off ignition and fuel to crank. I did prime the pump before I mounted the engine to the car a year ago. Then I turned the crank from a “bolt gun” and I got lots of oil through the filter. However I never tested the actual pressure, but assume that there were good pressure. Now when the large engine is mounted in my small AC-cobra I hate to tear the timing chain cover down to do a new priming. Maybe that’s where I end up this weekend. However, yesterday I found this small evacuation hole. I would like to fill more oil than it should be to “drown” the pump and maybe get it going.. or press oil through the evacuation.

Attachments

• 5D5759F4-AF7B-40D4-835C-7188018D7427.jpeg
    5D5759F4-AF7B-40D4-835C-7188018D7427.jpeg
    224.3 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
V

Viper_cobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum V10
Have thought about what to do next to get pressure. I think if I might seal the evacuation hole with a cloth. I will be able to fill the whole pump all the way from my oil filter hose down to the pick-up and small filter. If the pump not kicks in by then it never will, I guess....
Experiences anyone?

Copper93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Chevys have a O-ring on the pickup tube where it goes into oil pump. They have a known problem of dry rotting and causing a pressure issue. The pump will draw air at the O-ring and not oil front the sump. Don’t know if the 8.0’has one but look and see.

OP
OP
V

Viper_cobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum V10
Good point copper93! Mine didnt have an O-ring but had a gasket. I dont know if that was stock.
However, I did plug the pump and flooded it. The pump didn’t give any pressure at idle but gave 30psi at 2500rpm. As soon as I went back to idle, the pressure went away. Started her up two hours later and the pressure was gone. Maybe the rotor is worn after all...?
Any ideas anyone?

Copper93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

They are talking about oil pressures similar to your case. They are saying the bolts are backing out of the oil pump allowing oil to flow back out into the pan.

OP
OP
V

Viper_cobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum V10
Thanks Copper93. Yeah I have read about the issue of the torx bolts backing out. I therefore put loctite on them a year ago when I rebuilt the timing chain cover. I also measured the play of the rotor which was within tolerances. I therefore really don’t know where to go next. However I have ordered a new pump kit which has to be ordered from the US which means additional three weeks delivery time. Will keep you updated on the progress.

Warlock1369

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0 V10
How did you get this fixed? It sounds just like the issue I'm having. I can't find a high volume pump for nothing for the truck only the van. So if you did and could point me in that direction I'd appreciate it.
Thanks Copper93. Yeah I have read about the issue of the torx bolts backing out. I therefore put loctite on them a year ago when I rebuilt the timing chain cover. I also measured the play of the rotor which was within tolerances. I therefore really don’t know where to go next. However I have ordered a new pump kit which has to be ordered from the US which means additional three weeks delivery time. Will keep you updated on the progress.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye