How to get oil pump working 8.0 V10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

69_XS29L

Reaction score
Ram Year
'95 2500 4x4 '03 OffRoad 1500 '85 W350 4spd
Engine
8L V-10, 5.7L Hemi, 360 4bbl
For anyone else looking. I've had a few of these apart. The rotors ride directly on the aluminum timing cover. Cover wears faster. Since a good portion of oil bypasses the puny stock thimble oil filter, the case is usually scored. Likely problem. Could be milled deeper for a thicker rotor, or have machinist add shim behind the cover. Can't think of any other solutions.
Run minimum Wix 51515 size filter, more area, less bypass. I run one size bigger yet, Wix 51773. About 1 qt more capacity over stock.
As important as filter area is the size of the flow holes in the base of filter. Wix excellent quality biggest I've measured. They also make the NAPA Gold Line.
Early model 2500s will have interference for the longer filter from steering shock. I deleted mine when I added the late model HD T style linkage.
Don't listen to parrots who never owned a V-10. Had a problem getting oil pressure to a rebuilt engine that sat for quit awhile. Got it running, no pressure, shut it down. Spent no time uselessly cranking it. There is a plug on the side of the filter base, tapped for 1/8 pipe. Could be used for external gauge. I used a 12v diaphragm type fuel pump, positive displacement, and rigged it up to prime the engine with oil. Pulled the plugs, pressurized it, turned it by hand. I then re-oiled the cylinders, cranked it over couple seconds with pressure on, fuel off, then started it. Problem solved.

69_XS29L

Reaction score
Ram Year
'95 2500 4x4 '03 OffRoad 1500 '85 W350 4spd
Engine
8L V-10, 5.7L Hemi, 360 4bbl
Filters referenced.

Attachments

• IMG_1331.JPG
    IMG_1331.JPG
    208.1 KB · Views: 1