How to get that 1st Gen down low

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flippy02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
The spindle bearings/journals are larger on the heavy suspension (D250 cummins and D350; aka '4000#' suspension, but may be 3800ish in the actual truck.)

You also need to see where the caliper ends up. D150 (5-lug) uses a small diameter rotor. I don't know if the difference is accounted for in the spindle, or in the caliper bracket.

FWIW, I'm content with stock height, and adding extra tire on the rear only.

I found these, and I'm thinking of giving them a shot with the lowering springs. Still a little unsure of them.

u2slow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6BTA
They look like a stock 4000# arm to me. I'm not sure why they say its for lowering.

Maybe you want to try a 3500# suspension spring in your 4000# arm first. The light suspension's spring is shorter. You may have to cut down the bumpstop.

Flippy02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
They look like a stock 4000# arm to me. I'm not sure why they say its for lowering.

Maybe you want to try a 3500# suspension spring in your 4000# arm first. The light suspension's spring is shorter. You may have to cut down the bumpstop.

That sounds like a pretty good idea. I've even started talking to Eaton about having custom springs made and they quoted me about $350. But won't tell me anything about them

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just don't get this "lowering" thing. I see threads on this for this series of trucks everywhere that i'm a member, and all I can do is to shake my head. Lowered vehicles are an alignment guy's worst nightmare. I was that alignment guy for 20 years.
I lower mine by using them as the trucks they are, just long enough to haul whatever I'm hauling. Then when I'm done, I "lift" them back, by emptying the load.

Maki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9l
I just don't get this "lowering" thing. I see threads on this for this series of trucks everywhere that i'm a member, and all I can do is to shake my head. Lowered vehicles are an alignment guy's worst nightmare. I was that alignment guy for 20 years.
I lower mine by using them as the trucks they are, just long enough to haul whatever I'm hauling. Then when I'm done, I "lift" them back, by emptying the load.
It's an aesthetic thing. I've got an '88 D100 2WD that I'm planning on lowering (and making into a drag truck ultimately) because I like the way lowered trucks look. Conversely, I'm planning on buying a 4x4 Ramcharger to lift to do overland things with. It's really based on what the application the end user is looking to use it for. Just like how some people are fine with an off the line vehicle and never personalize it while other people have to have everything aftermarket and customized.