How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
I installed Mike's ATC harness to go with my UAQ radio. My wife bought the radio from infotainment and it came with a dual zone pannel, the USB hub, a harness and control box. I did not like the dual zone control since my system had none of the options so I got a single zone off ebay. The issue it never really controlled by temperature right and with 3 clicks it show hot but the temp control hardly moved. Reading this forum I saw putting it to single ATC would fix the issue, and it did but then I wanted the ATC function. I spoke to Mike and he gave me a few options and I went with the complete kit. The only thing I did not have is the holder for the humidity sensor since my truck is a express and has none of those features. I looked on ebay and found a guy selling the whole thing, windshield clip, cover and sensor. He was not sure if the sensor worked but I did not care since I ordered a new one from Mike. I used 3/8 3M tape to hold the clip to the window and ran the wire under the headliner. Removed the main harness from infotainment and and ran Mike new main harness. Installed the temp sensor in the panel under the steering wheel. Hooked the battery back up and tested. It took 2 power cycles for everything to sync but once it did I now have a functioning ATC in my 2018 Express.

Thanks Mike!!

BMagik426

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First off thanks to the OP for a very detailed installation guide. I wanted to ask a couple questions. I want to install a "factory" 8.4 with car play/AA and I came across part 68461699AC.

Does anyone have experience with this particular part? I have a 2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn with the 8.4nav. Will this be a suitable replacement/plug and play?

TIA for any advice!

BMagik426

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First off thanks to the OP for a very detailed installation guide. I wanted to ask a couple questions. I want to install a "factory" 8.4 with car play/AA and I came across part 68461699AC.

Does anyone have experience with this particular part? I have a 2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn with the 8.4nav. Will this be a suitable replacement/plug and play?

TIA for any advice!
It looks like someone else purchased the same part and it worked for them. I'll give it a try. Sorry for clogging the forum!

jlsalani

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Let me apologize right off the bat, I assume somewhere in the 329 pages it probably has been answered.... but I have a 2015 with an existing 8.4 but really want CarPlay. Sounds good and looks fairly straight forward... but finding one seems to be the challenge. most of the ones I see on Car-Parts are only 2018 and most have delamination issues. so the question is, do all 8.4's up through 2021 as long as classic work?... and if so, can I just buy one from the dealer?.. will they sell me one if not for my truck?... and if so, how would I get SW updates?

Sailor K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You all are way ahead of me. And I apologize for not having read all 329 pages. I'll catch up as time goes on. I have 2019 Classic SLT model (like a base model, built for Enterprise) with 5" display. Would like 8.4 with AA. But not willing to fork over 2600 to infotainment. The correct radio seems to be about 1400 mopar item, brand new? I would spring for 1400 to get in-dash full function 8.4" display with AA. Most of the posts have been for 2013-2017 trucks. Am I nuts? Is it worth reading all 329 posts? Anyone done exactly what I'm thinking of?

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
I got the infotainment unit and it included the radio, HVAC control box, harness for that control box the media hub and bezel to go from 5" to 8.4". My truck is a 2018 Express with 7 speed blower. So to replace the radio you need all those parts.

Ryno1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Let me apologize right off the bat, I assume somewhere in the 329 pages it probably has been answered.... but I have a 2015 with an existing 8.4 but really want CarPlay. Sounds good and looks fairly straight forward... but finding one seems to be the challenge. most of the ones I see on Car-Parts are only 2018 and most have delamination issues. so the question is, do all 8.4's up through 2021 as long as classic work?... and if so, can I just buy one from the dealer?.. will they sell me one if not for my truck?... and if so, how would I get SW updates?

You all are way ahead of me. And I apologize for not having read all 329 pages. I'll catch up as time goes on. I have 2019 Classic SLT model (like a base model, built for Enterprise) with 5" display. Would like 8.4 with AA. But not willing to fork over 2600 to infotainment. The correct radio seems to be about 1400 mopar item, brand new? I would spring for 1400 to get in-dash full function 8.4" display with AA. Most of the posts have been for 2013-2017 trucks. Am I nuts? Is it worth reading all 329 posts? Anyone done exactly what I'm thinking of?
Guys, contact @Mpgrimm2 and he can get you squared away with what you need. Having gone through multiple software bricks and delaminating screens, I would highly recommend getting a new UAQ/UAS from Benny @AllMoparParts.com . I spent more than a new one would have cost me by time it was said and done. The install itself is pretty straight forward and shouldn’t take any time at all.

JTonietto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I want to make some upgrades to my 2018 RAM1500 Express.
It currently has the 5" touch screen radio, no steering wheel audio controls, manual temperature controls with 7 speed fan and a standard 3" monochrome EVIC.

@AllMoparParts.com
I want an 8.4" display with AA & Carplay with Sirius, but without NAV. I want to add steering wheel audio controls and a 7" EVIC.
I prefer either no emblem or the RAM emblem on the gauge lens.

I think I need a UAS radio, MOPAR# 68331634AK or 68331635A?. What is the correct part number and suffix?
Is MOPAR # 68340661AB the correct EVIC?
What is the part number for the steering wheel audio switch unit?

@Mpgrimm2
I could keep the MTC, but single zone ATC sounds like a nice upgrade.
Can you provide a bezel for either manual temp control or single zone ATC?
What other harnesses do I need to make this all work?

Do any of these changes require programming by the dealer or other means?

Thank you for your help!
Joe Tonietto

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I could keep the MTC, but single zone ATC sounds like a nice upgrade.
Can you provide a bezel for either manual temp control or single zone ATC?
What other harnesses do I need to make this all work?

Do any of these changes require programming by the dealer or other means?
You would need AlfaOBD to do the 7" EVIC and ATC mod, the latter is recommended (one of my favorite mods). Once you have the 8.4 radio you don't have to use an ATC bezel, I used the MTC one for about a year before I found one for sale on this forum for a great price. The major hiccup with using the MTC bezel is you don't have the physical "Auto" button, but it's selectable via the radio screen though.

JTonietto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You would need AlfaOBD to do the 7" EVIC and ATC mod, the latter is recommended (one of my favorite mods). Once you have the 8.4 radio you don't have to use an ATC bezel, I used the MTC one for about a year before I found one for sale on this forum for a great price. The major hiccup with using the MTC bezel is you don't have the physical "Auto" button, but it's selectable via the radio screen though.
@crash68 Thanks!
I'm getting an MTC bezel from another member here, so I will use that for now.
All I need now are a radio and the steering wheel audio switch.
Joe

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
If you do the full 8.4 conversion, there's a better then 50/50 chance on your 18 1500 that you will need the Single Zone ATC setup to fix HVAC Temp Blend door issues with the UAx upgrade.

Message me if you'd like to get things started so it works correctly the first time.

Steering wheel audio controls, new USB hub (for apple support) would be the minimum to get it somewhat going in your truck

itsmrshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2016 2500 tradesman with the 7speed fan/8.4 upgrades. I got my UAS radio in the other day and put it in just to try it out (no hub/harness yet). Everything worked as should minus the CarPlay stuff. I do have the backup camera button that does work during driving for the 10 seconds.

Media hub should be here tomorrow, harness hopefully soon (waiting on Deere to shop).

Definitely like the crispness of the new screen.

What are the UAS systems going for now used? What about the older non nav 8.4’s?

Thanks to all the guys that made this happen.

Also had an update available message pop up when I shut off the truck this morning but i opened the door to fast to see it.
What media hub did you order, I have ordered a few, and non of them seem to work correctly.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
What media hub did you order, I have ordered a few, and non of them seem to work correctly.
Either the Jeep media hub: 5XG28DX9AC
or the one from the Chrysler 200: 68283703AA
The 200 hub fills the opening in the center console but you also have to shave the opening some.

itsmrshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Either the Jeep media hub: 5XG28DX9AC
or the one from the Chrysler 200: 68283703AA
The 200 hub fills the opening in the center console but you also have to shave the opening some.
Thanks crash68, appreciate the help!

Rsmalls2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i would like to purchase one of those adapters are they still for sale?

jazzyjavaz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 RAM 2500 SLT
Engine
Cummings I6.7
So I've skimmed this thread, but I may have missed it. I have a 2013 2500 with 8.4 uconnect V15.26.1 firmware thats going crazy at times. Im wondering if a similar 2019's 8.4 will work. I haven't verified anything on the radio except it comes without Nav.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So I've skimmed this thread, but I may have missed it. I have a 2013 2500 with 8.4 uconnect V15.26.1 firmware thats going crazy at times. Im wondering if a similar 2019's 8.4 will work. I haven't verified anything on the radio except it comes without Nav.
Short answer is yes, the 2019 8.4 will work.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
No, a factory installed USA 2013 Ra3/VP3-NA or Ra4/VP4-NA Nav radio uses different fw than just about every other year.

You will need to update to v17.43.x SW and once that's successfully done, you can do the North America (USA/Canada) Gps bug fix to v18.45.x.

The correct thread to start at is...
- INFO- 2013-2018 8.4 FW Notes (RA4/VP4 & UAx NA)

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
No, a factory installed USA 2013 Ra3/VP3-NA or Ra4/VP4-NA Nav radio uses different fw than just about every other year.

You will need to update to v17.43.x SW and once that's successfully done, you can do the North America (USA/Canada) Gps bug fix to v18.45.x.

The correct thread to start at is...
- INFO- 2013-2018 8.4 FW Notes (RA4/VP4 & UAx NA)
Good catch, I assumed he was talking about hardware swap, not firmware upgrades...