Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Discussion in '4th Gen DIY' started by DeereGuy, Feb 21, 2018.

1. crash68

crash68 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0 EcoDiesel
    I just did this upgrade in my '15
    The UAQ part# 68331631AJ
    I don't know the part # of the hub but it's the one used in the Compass and the M2 harness. It was plug-n-play even the heated seats/steering wheel soft buttons worked.

Is there any advantage of using the dual USB hub from the 200?

2. COtto1984

COtto1984 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Cummins 6.7
    As far as the dual USB hub from the 200, if you look a few posts up, it appears that it may be a better fit to replace the existing hub from a fit, form and function perspective.

3. COtto1984

COtto1984 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Cummins 6.7
    I contacted Customtronix to see about their JailBreaker Enzo if I put the 2018 4C in my 2015 and they came back with the following response:

I would recommend not to do that! there's too much problem with exchanging to Panasonic units believe me! if you have had 2016 or 2017 it would be ok but for a 2015 it´s a big no-no. You need a retention harness because is missing canbus messages and just there you have an issue!
    Any merit to what they are saying? What retention harness is he referring too?

4. ajairola

ajairola Junior Member Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    My best guess would be he is referring to the retention module that the 2013/2014 definitely need to retain Heated/Cooled Seat and Heated Steering Wheel controls on the radio. From my understanding 2015s are a mixed bag and sometimes they need the retention module. Try searching through the thread for “2015” and see what issues are being reported.

5. Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I had tried the UAQ in my 14 and pulled it in a week. I had the customtronix harness but still had issues with it. My EVIC didn't display the XM channels correctly, the turn by turn also didn't show correctly for the Nav. I also liked the layout and the graphics and screen themes much better on my RA4 plus it had much better sound quality. Honestly the only advantage to the UAS/UAQ radios in my opinion is the Android Auto and the Apple Car Play. I know thats enough for most guys to want them but not worth it to me.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

18harvest likes this.
  6. MontyNC

MontyNC Junior Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Which firmware version were you running on the UAQ?

7. Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    It's been a year or so since I took it out and I don't keep up with the UAS/UAQ thread because I don't care for them so I can't remember but it was one of the preferred versions that didn't have the sound quality issues that some had. I bought it new and still have it but it's in storage while we are having our new home built. It didn't sound bad but it didn't have the volume or sound qualityof the RA4. I actually had three different UAQ radios that I tested in my truck because there are a few guys who live by me that I've met on the forum. I tried the Infotainment harness and then tried the customtronix. They were both able to get the heated/vented seats and heated wheel to show up but neither corrected the other issues. The backup camera was also darker that the RA4 and the colors were off.. I honestly just like the RA4 better. I feel it's a better quality radio and definitely has better sound quality hands down in my opinion. I have an android phone so I'm able to voice text through Bluetooth without being connected to the truck with the RA4 and I needed to be connected to the radio and be using Android Auto with the UAQ. I upgraded to the RA4 from the RA2 originally so my voice texting in the RA4 works without a subscription and works awesome. I'm just not a fan of the Panasonic radios. I know I'm one of the few and that's fine.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

MontyNC likes this.
  8. Site-r

Site-r Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Cummings 6.7
    I fixed the darker backup camera problem by putting in a camera manufactured for a 2018. I bought it from a 2018 wreck, and it has worked great.
    If you do decide to go for the UAQ radio and decide to go this route, send me a pm and I will answer questions.

MontyNC likes this.
  9. Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2 Senior Member Preferred Vendor Supporting Member Military

Ram Year:
    2019 Laramie QC (5th Gen)
    Engine:
    5.7L eTorque
  10. COtto1984

COtto1984 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Cummins 6.7
    Is the thinking that if you have revision "B" or newer, the interface module would not be needed? I confirmed P/N under my seat ends with a "B". I haven't purchased radio or hub though so can't speak in terms of compatibility with the HSM yet.