How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

jazzyjavaz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 RAM 2500 SLT
Engine
Cummings I6.7
Good catch, I assumed he was talking about hardware swap, not firmware upgrades...
Actually you were right and I think I just wrote it out to where you could think I was refering to the firmware. I tried the firmware but the unit will not recognize the update for some reason after trying several usb sticks and different formats nothing worked it just noticed there were no song files. I actually bought a 4C radio out of a 2019 with very similar bezel and features as mine, well except all the updated hardware and firmware. I just wanted to make sure it would work without a heck of a lot of modifications to the compartment area. I just need to source the needed USB ports and patch cables or Just build them.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie QC (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L eTorque
Actually you were right and I think I just wrote it out to where you could think I was refering to the firmware. I tried the firmware but the unit will not recognize the update for some reason after trying several usb sticks and different formats nothing worked it just noticed there were no song files. I actually bought a 4C radio out of a 2019 with very similar bezel and features as mine, well except all the updated hardware and firmware. I just wanted to make sure it would work without a heck of a lot of modifications to the compartment area. I just need to source the needed USB ports and patch cables or Just build them.
What's the actual year, model, and PN of radio?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L eTorque
2019 68331635AK VP4RAC ...
So I've skimmed this thread, but I may have missed it. I have a 2013 2500 with 8.4 uconnect V15.26.1 firmware thats going crazy at times. Im wondering if a similar 2019's 8.4 will work. I haven't verified anything on the radio except it comes without Nav.

So that 68331635Ak Panasonic 4c UAS no nav radio is technically a 2018 PN.
They go by the "Application version" (Not fw version).

Q: What application version is on your UAS radio?

The last official TSB release version was application version v22.6.x , however new replacement units are coming from factory with v39.6 (& warranty repaired units from United Radio in Peachtree Ga).

You can find links to the last official v22.6 version in the OP of the following thread along with a link to ClearlyStable's unofficial release thread that has v39.6.

- INFO- 2013-2018 8.4 FW Notes (RA4/VP4 & UAx NA)

jazzyjavaz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 RAM 2500 SLT
Engine
Cummings I6.7
So that 68331635Ak Panasonic 4c UAS no nav radio is technically a 2018 PN.
They go by the "Application version" (Not fw version).

Q: What application version is on your UAS radio?
The part i gave you was built Aug 2019. Its enroute to me. My current is an VP3 with 17.43.01 application software update. I am trying to get carplay inside my truck and I hope for now the buggy restrarts go away, which usually happen at engine start.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The part i gave you was built Aug 2019. Its enroute to me. My current is an VP3 with 17.43.01 application software update. I am trying to get carplay inside my truck and I hope for now the buggy restrarts go away, which usually happen at engine start.
I'd be interested to know if you're restarts persists after replacing your current radio.

jazzyjavaz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 RAM 2500 SLT
Engine
Cummings I6.7
I'd be interested to know if you're restarts persists after replacing your current radio.

I actually finished this morning updating my existing radio app upgrades to V18.45 on my vp3. No more restarts, but first thing this morning before the last update before starting the truck wouldnt start just a clickedy click. Any guesses? Well I will tell you, first cold snap here in coastal georgia area and it killed one of my Mopar Batteries. A cell busted and shorted. I'm now looking at replacing it. It was dated 2017, so it lasted 5 years and for a battery thats pretty good I'd think. Especially now adays... I am now going to look to see what is the best option at batteries.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L eTorque
If your 8.4 equipped 2013 truck doesn't already have Auto Temp Control, your going to have to add it when doing the UAS radio upgrade to fix HVAC Temp Blend door issues.

jazzyjavaz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 RAM 2500 SLT
Engine
Cummings I6.7
If your 8.4 equipped 2013 truck doesn't already have Auto Temp Control, your going to have to add it when doing the UAS radio upgrade to fix HVAC Temp Blend door issues.
ooogh... Mine does not. I only have the up and down control not a set temperature. Not sure how the software handles that as I would imagine it would have some type of feedback device for cabin temp. If mine is not equipped with cabin temp how will it know how to automatically control temperature? Maybe there is a manual temp or blend door positioning in there some where. I cant code that, but i have a friend who is a diesel technician with connections. So maybe that will help? Thanks for the heads up. I've seemed to put too many forks in the fire at one time. If this was as easy as my automation controls at work I'd be okay, cause i can code that.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I actually finished this morning updating my existing radio app upgrades to V18.45 on my vp3. No more restarts, but first thing this morning before the last update before starting the truck wouldnt start just a clickedy click. Any guesses? Well I will tell you, first cold snap here in coastal georgia area and it killed one of my Mopar Batteries. A cell busted and shorted. I'm now looking at replacing it. It was dated 2017, so it lasted 5 years and for a battery thats pretty good I'd think. Especially now adays... I am now going to look to see what is the best option at batteries.
Happened to me too but our cold happened in November...