How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Grrrr. The more I use Android Auto the less I like it. The Google assistant is not very fluid. Sometimes it just doesn't respond after a command or is slow and I repeat the command then it says it didn't understand. After a lengthy text it says it didn't understand and I have to repeat the whole thing. Google maps keep thinking I am turning right on every second or third street and the map rotates 90 degrees for a 1/2 second and then back.

I tried an iPhone with the UAQ and Carplay was MUCH better. Siri is very fluid and understands variations in commands. VR of text messages was flawless. Also,for some reason Google maps works fine on the iPhone. No glitching every second or third street.

Not having VR text is a deal killer for me. I would hate to have to switch phone brands to get a piece of automotive technology to work. I am rethinking this whole UAQ install since RAM killed VR text in Uconnect and Android Auto is so frustrating.

IMO.. I think the problem is with android it’s a complete app you have to download. And CarPlay is actually integrated into the IOS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Grrrr. The more I use Android Auto the less I like it. The Google assistant is not very fluid. Sometimes it just doesn't respond after a command or is slow and I repeat the command then it says it didn't understand. After a lengthy text it says it didn't understand and I have to repeat the whole thing. Google maps keep thinking I am turning right on every second or third street and the map rotates 90 degrees for a 1/2 second and then back.

I tried an iPhone with the UAQ and Carplay was MUCH better. Siri is very fluid and understands variations in commands. VR of text messages was flawless. Also,for some reason Google maps works fine on the iPhone. No glitching every second or third street.

Not having VR text is a deal killer for me. I would hate to have to switch phone brands to get a piece of automotive technology to work. I am rethinking this whole UAQ install since RAM killed VR text in Uconnect and Android Auto is so frustrating.
There is supposed to be an AA update this summer sometime that may address some issues. Google has neglected AA because they don't really want to continue using it and favor Google Assistant instead...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I agree the issue is with AA since Carplay works fine. I had heard Google was looking to deprecate AA at some point. However, AA uses the Google Assistant VR engine so I am not sure that will be any improvement. Also, the Google Maps thing is really annoying since in a peripheral vision I keep seeing the map rotate. If RAM had just left the VR text in the UAQ, I would be fine. Might have to look at getting an RA4 since the prices have come down. The RA3 I have was pretty good but didn't have navigation. I know I can activate it but it is not quite as good as the RA4.

Site-r

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500
Engine
Cummings 6.7
Even on sale, activating Navigation on an RA3 was $450. Much cheaper to buy a used RA4.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel

Site-r

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500
Engine
Cummings 6.7
I had ask earlier about dimming the radio (Gps) at night. There are two settings: auto and manual. Manual has a headlight on and headlight off setting. So I was able to dim the radio to half light at night. I am really impressed with the UAQ radio.

CoZo6

2021 Longhorn Limited 1500
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
I had ask earlier about dimming the radio (Gps) at night. There are two settings: auto and manual. Manual has a headlight on and headlight off setting. So I was able to dim the radio to half light at night. I am really impressed with the UAQ radio.
I had looked at my UAQ settings and the only setting I can set is headlights off when manual display mode setting is checked. Display brightness headlights on is grey out and the setting is fixed at 5 on manual display mode. Are you able to adjust that setting at all?

Matt3200492

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I have a 2017 ram 1500. I upgraded to the 8.4 uas from a 2018 and it works great. Only problem is every once in a while it will disconnect from CarPlay and will not reconnect. Only way I can get CarPlay to work again is by disconnecting the battery and then it works fine for a while. It was only doing it every couple months but has gotten more frequent. Anyone else have this problem?

I have the 19.9 firmware and uconnect website says there is no update available.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have kind of the same issue with my UAQ using Android Auto. Sometimes after a half hour or so when it goes to the next song on free Spotify it just stops. I have to open the console unplug the cable to get it to start again. Just started recently so as the radio hasn't had any updates in a year I figured it must be either the app for Android auto or Spotify.

Matt3200492

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah I use a iPhone. And it will pop up on the radio that the device has been disconnected. The CarPlay icon will disappear and will not work again until the battery is disconnected and the radio resets. It happened very frequently when I had my iPhone Bluetooth connected to my radar detector like every couple days it would do it. I don’t have Bluetooth connected to anything anymore. But it will still occasionally happen.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
That sounds like a pita to have to disconnect the battery. I hope someone has a working solution for you. All I know (others here know more) is I think there might be a inline radio fuse by the brake booster that you could pull for a reset until you find a permanent fix.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I have kind of the same issue with my UAQ using Android Auto. Sometimes after a half hour or so when it goes to the next song on free Spotify it just stops. I have to open the console unplug the cable to get it to start again. Just started recently so as the radio hasn't had any updates in a year I figured it must be either the app for Android auto or Spotify.
Pandora did this to me for a while after being fine for the longest time. Then an update fixed it again. I turned off automatic Updates for the app in the play store once it started working again and update manually now so I know when it breaks.

M² Mods.

nomercy346

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry if this has been discussed before but has someone found a way to make the Compass media hub fit in a RAM console without the gaps?

My 14 has the older style hub in the console and I want to make it look as OEM as possible.

Jhuss96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry if this has been discussed before but has someone found a way to make the Compass media hub fit in a RAM console without the gaps?

My 14 has the older style hub in the console and I want to make it look as OEM as possible.

There was someone earlier in this thread selling plastic pieces that would allow the hub to fit flush. No idea if they’re still available.

Site-r

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500
Engine
Cummings 6.7
CoZo6,
In order to adjust the headlight on setting, I had to move the dash brightness *** off of the brightest setting and then I could adjust it. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Jhuss96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry if this is a stupid question but would a uconnect pulled from a 2018 2500 differ in any way from a 1500? In interface or install?

The part number is the same so I would assume not, wanted to verify with the experts if there are any quirks I need to be aware of.