How to: Install LSD!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Friednice

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L hemispherical combustion chamber
Limited slip differential or as Chrysler likes to call it "anti-slip"

2017 Ram 1500 Sport, like many other Rams, open diff

Installed all Mopar limited slip carrier assembly, new side bearings x2 (not nessesary), new bolts (12) to mount ring gear to carrier (must do), both rear axle seals (not needed).

Not to mention new rtv to seal the cover after cleaning of course, new fluid 75w-90 and limited slip additive. other sources recommended 75w-140 with additive, mopar was clear to use to 75w-90 so I did.

I know what your thinking, this is the perfect time to scrap that oem cover and install the latest and greatest aftermarket rear diff cover. Truth is, I really feel I dont need the extra 80 horse power, cooling benefits, and cool looks the cover would provide.

Pitter Patter lets get at er!

Place vehicle in neutral (makes it easier) prior to all further work, I used the park release on driver side knee panel area. Removed the rear wheels, calipers, rotors and popped that hideous oem diff cover off.

upload_2019-11-23_22-1-53.png

Remove the 8mm locking pin and rotated carrier to remove the center pin. Pushed both axles in to release the C clip and removed both axle shafts.

upload_2019-11-23_21-45-46.png

Mark the bearing caps location / orientation and remove left side with pre load still on bearing. Marked the threaded adjuster in center with the differential housing assembly for reference. loosened the left side using special tool CYC4164A (other aftermarket and homemade options to do so) 4 full 360 degree turns.

upload_2019-11-23_21-52-52.png

Removed right side bearing cap (was essentially holding diff assembly in) and out pops the carrier and ring gear assembly.

upload_2019-11-23_22-2-17.png

Could remove the side bearings and press onto the new carrier but I choose to install new side bearings. Next I removed the ring gear from the carrier assembly.A vice is your best friend here them bolts are 166 ft/lbs. cleaned well and installed onto the new LSD carrier with new bolts. The Mopar carrier came with the clutches already install (doubt they were soaked in lsd fluid) also the center pin and 8mm locking bolt to hold the pin.

upload_2019-11-23_22-8-37.png

To be continued...

OP
OP
Friednice

Friednice

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Part 2

Ring gear installed and torqued. bearings pressed on. A hefty amount of gear oil meshed into the bearings and into the housing she goes.

upload_2019-11-23_22-14-25.png

Installed into rear axle housing, installed bearing cap bolts loosely and tightened in cross formation (same for ring gear to carrier assembly).Torqued to 100 ft/lbs. Adjusted left side threaded adjusted to marked location and torqued to 75 ft/lbs. checked all marks previous made more miss alignment. all in correct location. Installed both locking tabs for side adjusters.

upload_2019-11-23_22-18-44.png

Installed both rear axles and installed C clips center pin and 8mm locking pin (with red lock tight) torqued to sepc.
Installed cover, new rtv and added 75w-90 with lsd additive.

upload_2019-11-23_22-22-16.png

installed all components, brakes, tires etc. Drove to the closest open lot around and drove in figure 8s to work the clutches and additive in. All good to go. Its my first build thread dont beat me up too bad.

Cheers

upload_2019-11-23_22-26-55.png

upload_2019-11-23_22-28-50.png

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
Wounderful write up. However I am disappointed by the misleading title [emoji2957] as I expected it to contain something to do with the grateful dead, jimmy Hendrix, or Woodstock [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

18harvest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Since he just replaced the diff and set the adjustments the same it should be the same and within spec.if he changed the gear ratio.then you would have to adjust pinion depth,backlash etc.

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Since he just replaced the diff and set the adjustments the same it should be the same and within spec.if he changed the gear ratio.then you would have to adjust pinion depth,backlash etc.
I have to disagree. A new carrier and bearings were installed. If anything is off by 1/1000", then the backlash changes. Anytime the carrier is removed and reinstalled, it is good practice to measure backlash and check the gear pattern.

OP
OP
Friednice

Friednice

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you measure backlash? Did you check your pattern with gear paint?

Saw this post coming. Gear paint was used and I checked pattern. Figured it would remain the same but checked anyways and is perfect-o. I’ve seen it done before with other diffs with plenty of miles tested true afterwards. My photos didn’t do justice but there was several markings on each side adjuster.

OP
OP
Friednice

Friednice

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you measure backlash? Did you check your pattern with gear paint?

Saw this post coming. Gear paint was used and I checked pattern. Figured it would remain the same but checked anyways and is perfect-o. I’ve seen it done before with other diffs with plenty of miles tested true afterwards. My photos didn’t do justice but there was several markings on each side adjuster.

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good job and good wrenching. Final pattern is all that matters.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
It’s feasible to land back in with a simple plug and play on a low mile rear end. Especially a mopar replacement, they machine to OEM tolerances.

OP
OP
Friednice

Friednice

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It’s feasible to land back in with a simple plug and play on a low mile rear end. Especially a mopar replacement, they machine to OEM tolerances.

thats a Texas size 10.4 hope this thread helps someone else out. A lot of chat of putting one in but I didn’t see any for anyone pulling the trigger on there own install

tnctx02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM SLT
Engine
3.6L Pentastar V6
Great write up.
How much to do the whole project?

OP
OP
Friednice

Friednice

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I believe it was 600$ Ish. and that’s Canadian dollars, eh.

So probably around 100$ American

tnctx02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM SLT
Engine
3.6L Pentastar V6
I believe it was 600$ Ish. and that’s Canadian dollars, eh.

So probably around 100$ American
Wish it would be $100 USD, I would have done it already!! This is on my list of wants!
Crazy to build 4x4s with open diff if you ask me.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Crazy to build 4x4s with open diff if you ask me.

An open diff handles better in rain, light snow, and ice on road. When you have one wheel not spinning if the other one loses traction it gives the vehicle lateral support and reduces fishtailing.

This is why a selectable locker like ARB's are awesome, open when not engaged, and fully locked when engaged.

OP, good job, and I'm glad the gear pattern was brought up. It is important that people do not attempt this without checking this as it can be an expensive failure. It could be dangerous if a broken tooth gets jammed between the pinion and ring gears (especially towing).

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The factory LSD has no preload and rely s on the traction control they suck
after market is way better

Rijrnnr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Trying to get up the courage to do mine and this really helps, especially since you did such a great photography job. It's not easy to get the lighting correct under a truck but you did it. Didn't use a phone camera, did you?

OP
OP
Friednice

Friednice

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Trying to get up the courage to do mine and this really helps, especially since you did such a great photography job. It's not easy to get the lighting correct under a truck but you did it. Didn't use a phone camera, did you?

haha i did use my phone camera actually. iphone something an older one. Snap on magnetic fancy led light also helps. I have lots more photos but I was limited to how many I could post. Thanks for the positive feed back!

let me know how yours goes and if you have any questions along the way

Cheers

muffin_man103

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks @Friednice , I just finished doing this install on my new-to-me 2015 Ram 1500, your write up gave me the confidence I needed to take this on. I used the Yukon LSD, bought from RockAuto.

As a first timer on removing/installing a differential carrier and ring gear, there were a couple things I would like to emphasize for anyone else attempting or thinking of attempting this.

Do yourself a favor and unmount the rear sway bar. The carrier assembly will come out and go back in with some maneuvering if the sway bar is in place, but it's relatively heavy and can be especially awkward if the truck is not on a lift.

The specialty pre-load adjuster tool is a must. I got mine on amazon for $25. It kinda sucks since it's likely going to be a one time use for me, but I did not have the parts or ability to make a homemade version, and it worked perfectly.

And why is shifting the transfer case into neutral such a production?? I miss the manual T-case in my 05..

OP
OP
Friednice

Friednice

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks @Friednice , I just finished doing this install on my new-to-me 2015 Ram 1500, your write up gave me the confidence I needed to take this on. I used the Yukon LSD, bought from RockAuto.

As a first timer on removing/installing a differential carrier and ring gear, there were a couple things I would like to emphasize for anyone else attempting or thinking of attempting this.

Do yourself a favor and unmount the rear sway bar. The carrier assembly will come out and go back in with some maneuvering if the sway bar is in place, but it's relatively heavy and can be especially awkward if the truck is not on a lift.

The specialty pre-load adjuster tool is a must. I got mine on amazon for $25. It kinda sucks since it's likely going to be a one time use for me, but I did not have the parts or ability to make a homemade version, and it worked perfectly.

And why is shifting the transfer case into neutral such a production?? I miss the manual T-case in my 05..

Thanks for the feed back!

agreed! the 4 bolts to remove the sway bar and tie it up makes life easier for the job.

I was curious about the yukon carrier, and which one was better, I went with the oem only because you can get the just clutches for them if/when they wear out.

tool is a must have, heres a photo below. oem tool number CYC4164A

Far right photo is tool inserted

Happy to hear this thread helped someone, and like many of comments in this thread, check that pattern after!

Cheers

diff tool.jpg side tool.jpg sdie tool inside.jpg

ILLXJ

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That looks like the tool we use on the Jeep 8.25 rearends. Is it 36mm?

JIM.