How to: Install LSD!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Friednice

Friednice

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L hemispherical combustion chamber
That looks like the tool we use on the Jeep 8.25 rearends. Is it 36mm?

JIM.

yes sir! 36mm

not the best source for information but on amazon the otc tool (OTC 6602) does state: Use to adjust differential bearing free play on Chrysler/Dodge vehicles with 7-1/4, 8-1/4, 8-3/4, and 9-1/4 rear axles

way to connect the dots!

Cheers

ILLXJ

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yes sir! 36mm

not the best source for information but on amazon the otc tool (OTC 6602) does state: Use to adjust differential bearing free play on Chrysler/Dodge vehicles with 7-1/4, 8-1/4, 8-3/4, and 9-1/4 rear axles

way to connect the dots!

Cheers

That's good, I've already got one, somewhere.

JIM.

Judy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wounderful write up. However I am disappointed by the misleading title [emoji2957] as I expected it to contain something to do with the grateful dead, jimmy Hendrix, or Woodstock [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
Did you have flash backs?

MSandRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey Friednice, excellent write up.

Picked up this lsd from Mopar last month on sale but didn’t like the price of there bearings, so have some coming from RockAuto.
Can’t seem to find a good part # for the ring gear bolts, any chance you can help me out with that?

muffin_man103

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey @MSandRebel , I got mine from rockauto. USA STANDARD GEAR part #: USA33553

I honestly didn't even look anywhere else so I don't know how those compare cost-wise. Not sure how necessary it was but I also used red loctite on all the ring gear bolts. These bolts gave me the excuse to get a beefier torque wrench, and I don't know if I could have gotten those carrier bearings on without my shop press.

OP
OP
Friednice

Friednice

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L hemispherical combustion chamber
Hey Friednice, excellent write up.

Picked up this lsd from Mopar last month on sale but didn’t like the price of there bearings, so have some coming from RockAuto.
Can’t seem to find a good part # for the ring gear bolts, any chance you can help me out with that?

BOLT, Hex Flange Head, M14x1.00x26.50

06509765AA

12 needed

Happy wrenching

Mopar440

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (345cid)
thats a Texas size 10.4 hope this thread helps someone else out. A lot of chat of putting one in but I didn’t see any for anyone pulling the trigger on there own install
Thanks for the post. I replaced my open carrier with a Jegs LSD (made for them by Eaton, apparently). The procedure is not unlike that for a New Process diff, but the torque specs and some tolerances are different. There has been some conflict with regards to the torque for the ring gear bolts. The New Process is 65 Ft/lbs, your Mopar LDS clearly shows 166 Ft/lbs (kind of high but not unheard of for a 14mm bolt) and OEM shows a torque of 115 Ft/lbs for the ZF diff. I went with the 115 Ft/lbs and red loc-tite. All other specs and tolerances were the same. I used your method of pre marking the bearing retainer locks prior to removal. It saved a bunch of time. I snugged up the bearing caps, then did some final (and very minor) adjustments to attain a .006"-.007" back lash, well within the .005"-.008" spec. I used the paint supplied with my installation kit (which services both the carrier and the pinion but only used the ring gear bolts and carrier brgs as I didn't touch the pinion.) and got a perfect wear pattern. I torqued the bearing caps to 100 ft/lbs and double checked the backlash and re checked the wear pattern with some fresh paint. Jegs recommended 80W-90 with friction modifier, so that's what I put in. I also replaced my diff cover with a B&M aluminum cover to gain the extra 80 Hp, extra cooling, better handling, better fuel mileage and smoother ride (LOL). Actually I added it for the extra capacity and looks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963