How to keep fan clutch wires out of the fan?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paramax55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2006 3500, 5.9 with the electric fan clutch. The electric part never worked but the truck never got hot, so I just dealt with it. I eventually added an electric fan which helped, but wasn't perfect. I finally decided to come off my wallet and fix it "right" - big mistake.

A previous owner had done a jerry-rig job of extending the wires and running them behind the shroud instead of trough it - so I had no reference as to how the harness was supposed to go. I finally figured it out and zip-tied the harness to the radiator. After a test drive, I found the wire shredded and a hole in the radiator.

I ordered new parts and, while I'm waiting for them to arrive, I patched up the old radiator with JB Weld (it's temporary) and fixed the broken harness. This time I used TWO zip ties to hold the wire harness to the radiator (crazy overkill(sarcasm)) and made sure everything was solidly out of the way. When I got back from the second test drive, the radiator wasn't leaking, but the fan wasn't moving. It looks like the fan moved enough air to pull the metal bracket into it and grab the wires again! They were wrapped around a fan blade holding it still.

What in the world does it take to keep the wires out of this stupid fan??? I don't have any reference to how the factory did it.