how to keep trans temp low?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tallfetcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
what have you all done to keep trans temps cool? bigger coolers? oil additives?? anybody had anything that's worked well for them? i have a 2013 ram 1500 65rfe trans.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
There is a thermostat bypass block you can install to keep the transmission fluid flowing through the cooler.

Octane

Reaction score
Only the zf8 has a thermostat coolant thingy and they can go bad.. My 13 65rfe has only electric fan and clutch engine fan. I dont tow so my temps are good enuff

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
I had the zf8 trans, pulled my 6k TT often. no issues 170-195 flat ground temps. Sorry cant help

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
what have you all done to keep trans temps cool? bigger coolers? oil additives?? anybody had anything that's worked well for them? i have a 2013 ram 1500 65rfe trans.
Look through the pass side of your grill,if there's an aluminium block with hard lines going to it,you have the thermostat,there is a delete kit for it,if you do have it.In 2013 they started to implement the thermal management system,and they started adding a transmission thermostat to the trucks even the 6 speed trucks. It's hhit or miss on whether your 13 will have it,but if you see an aluminium block when looking through the grill,you have the thermostat.

Octane

Reaction score
Look through the pass side of your grill,if there's an aluminium block with hard lines going to it,you have the thermostat,there is a delete kit for it,if you do have it.In 2013 they started to implement the thermal management system,and they started adding a transmission thermostat to the trucks even the 6 speed trucks. It's hhit or miss on whether your 13 will have it,but if you see an aluminium block when looking through the grill,you have the thermostat.
I was thinking only the 8spds had it. As the later built 2013s had the 8spds.I guess I am assuming none of the 2013 65rfe's have that because mine doesn't. Thankfully!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Only the zf8 has a thermostat coolant thingy and they can go bad.. My 13 65rfe has only electric fan and clutch engine fan. I dont tow so my temps are good enuff
Some of the 13+ 6 speed trucks do have a transmission thermostat,it's kind of hit or miss though. It's an aluminium block that has hardlines running to it,and is in the upper pass side behind the grill,that you can see by looking through the pass side of the grill.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I was thinking only the 8spds had it. As the later built 2013s had the 8spds.
The 8spd transmission thermostat is integrated into the TMU on the side of the transmission. The cooler for the 8spd transmission is a the top couple passes of what is also the condenser coil for the air conditioning.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
If you've never had trans temp issues before and are starting to experience them now, it's likely time for either a really good flush OR time to start replacing coolers because they're starting to get clogged. Given that you're a 2013, that is entirely plausible.

If you've got the thermostat, bypassing it will help for a while, but if your cooler isn't doing its job adequately then it's more of a bandaid on a bigger problem. It'll get you by for now, but I'd start looking into what it's going to take to clean or replace the cooler. The factory cooler SHOULD be adequate to cool the trans right up to (and likely a little bit past) your max tow rating.

OP
OP
T

tallfetcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
If you've never had trans temp issues before and are starting to experience them now, it's likely time for either a really good flush OR time to start replacing coolers because they're starting to get clogged. Given that you're a 2013, that is entirely plausible.

If you've got the thermostat, bypassing it will help for a while, but if your cooler isn't doing its job adequately then it's more of a bandaid on a bigger problem. It'll get you by for now, but I'd start looking into what it's going to take to clean or replace the cooler. The factory cooler SHOULD be adequate to cool the trans right up to (and likely a little bit past) your max tow rating.
that's exactly what's happening. I don't have the thermostat block out by the cooler like some trucks do. I've always service the fluid on time. including just a few months ago. after dropping the pan the inside of the trans was the cleanest trans ive ever seen even for having almost 130,000miles on it. my temps get right up to 200 degrees F on the freeway at 80mph but used to stay around the 165 degree mark. i first noticed it a few months ago when it was still below freezing out side driving through a canyon at 80mph and like 8000 ft altitude. so i still have full faith in im trans, but if i can help it last a little longer i will.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn