How to make your EcoDiesel the absolute most efficient?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mattyd926

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
So as the title says how do you make your EcoDiesel the most bulletproof/long lasting.
So I bought my 2014 eco used I have 85k miles and I have a stock powertrain. I want this truck to last me a long time. I use it as my daily driver. I’m a union carpenter so just driving to and from work. Hwy miles and I never tow. What I want is a small increase in power, better mpg, and I want her to last!!. After this settlement is all squared away I want to use that money towards making my truck last. I was planning on doing a full delete stage 1&2 “whatever that is” lol sending a spare ecm to gde and get it fully tuned. I know it can just shutoff the egr but I think to eliminate any future problems I would take out the whole unit and cap it off. What is everyone’s opinion about removing vs shutting off. Cold air so I can hear that turbo and this is where I hit a wall. What can I do to it besides the stuff I hustled mentioned to make her bulletproof. Thank you in advance for any input, as it is greatly appreciated

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
some guys replace the stock oil cooler with an external air cooled version.
Sounds like your headed in the right direction. Sounds like your aware a CAI is for looks and sound.
Once you put the GDE tune in, you can hold off doing the EGR delete unless it start leaking.

OP
OP
Mattyd926

Mattyd926

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
some guys replace the stock oil cooler with an external air cooled version.
Sounds like your headed in the right direction. Sounds like your aware a CAI is for looks and sound.
Once you put the GDE tune in, you can hold off doing the EGR delete unless it start leaking.

See I wanted to avoid even the possibly of the egr leaking into the engine . Do you think shutting it off is just as good .

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
There's alot of GDE tuned trucks running around that don't have the EGR cooler removed/blocked off. It may be due in part to warranty issues for the engine. There have been a few that have solved coolant loss issues by blocking it off, and from what I've read the coolant leaks into the exhaust not the engine. It's probably more of a personal preference call whether to completely remove it vs letting the tune keeping it closed(which isn't a issue).

Shawn226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
GDE also makes a tune for the transmission, idk the specifics of it but if you’re gonna have them tune the ecm, call them and talk to them about the trans tune as well. You’ve pretty much already covered the bases, only thing after that would be a compound turbo kit but thats Costly