How to prevent yourself from getting locked out ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
Today, when we were unloading things at home, using all 4 doors, one of us must have hit the lock button on the arm rest. All 4 doors locked, and the fob was still in the center cubby. I leave the keyfob when parking in the garage, so it is there.
Luckily, we still had one door open. A few weeks ago, my wife had the same problem in another vehicle and it required a lock guy to open it, $75.00.......
The key stored in fob can be cut, and I suppose it is a good idea to have one in your billfold.

Is there anything in settings to prevent this ?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
All Rams with push button start have a feature called fobik safe. The moment you would have closed the last door, the truck would given three short honks, and automatically unlocked all the doors.

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I always trim a key and tape it into the wiring and hope I do not need it
With in a week you will not find it unless you know where to look

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
All Rams with push button start have a feature called fobik safe. The moment you would have closed the last door, the truck would given three short honks, and automatically unlocked all the doors.
This is what is supposed to happen! If it detects your keys within so many feet of the dash it is not supposed to let you lock the doors. It seemed like it worked for the first year or two but has never worked since. Have a Durango & 2500 that we have been locked out of multiple times. At first I thought it was maybe the battery in the fob but after installing a new one it still locked us out. Once we were camping in the middle of nowhere. Boy that was nerve racking! Pretty much the only way to save your rear is to have another valet key cut & hide it under the vehicle.

Roper46

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L I6 CTD
This is the only problem I have with my 2022 3500. First, since it was slightly used, only 5k miles, I was only given one FOB. Yeah, I will buy another soon. Second, the connected services on the 3500 were deleted at the factory, meaning I cannot use the Uconnect app on my phone to lock and unlock the doors. Having this option on my 2500 was a comfort.
So as some have stated here I will try to get a copy made of the key in the fob as that is way more cheaper than buying a new fob.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
With my '21, the only way I can lock the fob in the truck, is by using the second fob.
Yeah, you have to really be on a purposeful mission to lock the fob in the truck.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This is the only problem I have with my 2022 3500. First, since it was slightly used, only 5k miles, I was only given one FOB. Yeah, I will buy another soon. Second, the connected services on the 3500 were deleted at the factory, meaning I cannot use the Uconnect app on my phone to lock and unlock the doors. Having this option on my 2500 was a comfort.
So as some have stated here I will try to get a copy made of the key in the fob as that is way more cheaper than buying a new fob.
I know there aren’t any fobs in stock at any mopar parts sites, but I’m 4 for 4 on successfully programming this fob:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I always "carry" a cut key on a small ring in my pocket when I operate the RAM. This accomplishes (2) things:

1) Gives me access back into truck in the case I have a F U B A R and somehow lock FOB in truck (Yes I have the FOBIK system but it only works twice, on yer 3rd attempt to lock yer keys in, it will) (Also, if truck running, and you push down lock button by Accident, U can lock keys in truck)
2) My extra key ring also has a key on it for my back Tonneau Cover to Lock/Unlock.

I Force myself to remember to always carry extra key ring in pocket. Just how BOIRD does it.

DA BOIRD

turk helmut drive.JPG

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The fob stays in my pocket. With keyless proximity entry and push button start, why is anyone taking the fob out of their pocket? The only time it's not in in my pocket is when I want to use it for remote start, open the tailgate, or lower the air suspension. Then it goes right back in the pocket.

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
17 tradesman 2500 does not have all those electronics, 2 fobs, One I carry and the other in my wife's purse. Could lose one or lock in in the truck if nor careful. That little key that is in the fob, is in a mag box hidden under the bumper on a bracket. Its got a pretty stout magnet has never fallen off even on the on bad a**s rocky trails. Lost my fob with the RV trailer keys,on a hike, glad i had the hide a key. Backtracked and found the fob later. I cant imagine calling a locksmith, from a remote location, while 4 wheeling, especially when you cant get a cell signal, at the bottom of some canyon. I leave it to my son who has had to learn these things, the hard way, as I have.

archer75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
My keys always stay with me so there's never any danger of locking them in. And when out of my pocket they're always in the same place in the house. I've never locked my keys in a vehicle.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Had a flat version of the FOB key cut at Lowes, $3.00. Put it in a magnetic case on the winch bumper. All my hunting partners know where it is too. I have 4 FOBS, everyone carries one when we travel together. Also means they can start the truck when they get back, and at -40, it is nice to be able to warm up.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The fob stays in my pocket. With keyless proximity entry and push button start, why is anyone taking the fob out of their pocket? The only time it's not in in my pocket is when I want to use it for remote start, open the tailgate, or lower the air suspension. Then it goes right back in the pocket.
My poor lowly Bighorn not got all the limited fancy doo dahs, gotta push button to open door and push button to start, LOL. WHY I carry an extra cut key in my pocket wheneva I drive the ride.

ADDED: I tried to get an extra key cut at Walmart, and an Auto Store and they both said could not do, there were no blanks etc, called BS. Went to local food store (HEB), and got key cut for $3.00. Now remember, your truck locked, and you use a Key to Open, ALARM gonna sound. Grab your fob and turn off the alarm, just easy peasy.

Last edited:

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Haha, yeah, I have to push unlock on the fob (or -gasp- use the key) to open the door on my tradesman, then insert the fob and turn to start the truck.
I haven't been locked out of a vehicle in a long time but I could see it happen to me.

mb33458

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 etorque
Glad I saw this post. I went out today and tested my 21 1500 by leaving the key fob in the truck while I closed the locked door (had my wife sit in the car). I got three beeps and then the doors unlocked. Nice to know the truck has this feature, but I like the idea of keeping a key in my wallet.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also, glad I saw this, I tested my 2019 Laramie, and you leave your fob in the center console, hit the door lock button on the driver's door and it beeps 3 times, and it unlocks the door.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Also, glad I saw this, I tested my 2019 Laramie, and you leave your fob in the center console, hit the door lock button on the driver's door and it beeps 3 times, and it unlocks the door.
If you do that three times it locks. Also, if you leave the truck running with fob inside and hit the lock on the door it will lock up on the first go. You need to ensure you have a separate key on the outside of the truck. They ar pretty idiot proof, but not totally so. Hard to get a locksmith even 20 miles into the bush when you are out hunting.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If you do that three times it locks. Also, if you leave the truck running with fob inside and hit the lock on the door it will lock up on the first go. You need to ensure you have a separate key on the outside of the truck. They ar pretty idiot proof, but not totally so. Hard to get a locksmith even 20 miles into the bush when you are out hunting.
Like said earlier, you pretty much have to be on a mission to lock the fob in the truck. Also, if the truck is running, and the fob is inside, and the door is open, the door lock switch won’t even respond to the lock button being pressed. The only situation you can do that is if the truck is in a remote start event.