How to prime if you run out of Diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
Have done a search and I would have thought that I wouldn't be the first person to ask but was surprised not to find this questions having been asked before.

I have never run out of diesel, in fact when I tow I run half tank as my need fuel mark. But I did run into a couple who had run out of diesel in their GMC. Having never had this problem we found them diesel at a station about 15 km away and used youtube to determine how to get their truck primed. This got me thinking that I didn't know how to prime my own in the event I ever let this happen. So after I got home I spent some time looking for the "how to" to prime my 2014 6.7 cummins motor if this ever happened. To my surprise nothing on youtube. so I came to this site to find my answers. Hopefully my searching expertise sucks and its already a thread somewhere or someone can give me the step by step.

Thanks

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
Just search Cummins fuel filter change. You have to prime the fuel system after doing that.

The GMC you helped probably had a manual primer under the engine bay like my 2012 Denali did with the LML Duramax.

To prime the fuel system in the Cummins you just turn the key to run without starting the engine and wait. After like 15 seconds or so you turn the truck off and then back to run. You can hear the fuel pump running. The book tells you to do this a number of times before attempting to start.

Edit:

Here is a video.

Have done a search and I would have thought that I wouldn't be the first person to ask but was surprised not to find this questions having been asked before.

I have never run out of diesel, in fact when I tow I run half tank as my need fuel mark. But I did run into a couple who had run out of diesel in their GMC. Having never had this problem we found them diesel at a station about 15 km away and used youtube to determine how to get their truck primed. This got me thinking that I didn't know how to prime my own in the event I ever let this happen. So after I got home I spent some time looking for the "how to" to prime my 2014 6.7 cummins motor if this ever happened. To my surprise nothing on youtube. so I came to this site to find my answers. Hopefully my searching expertise sucks and its already a thread somewhere or someone can give me the step by step.

Thanks

OP
OP
CDN Ram

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
Thank you Arth, Yes the GMC had a manual primer and I expected to find something similar on my RAM but I guess not. This video was perfect to explain how to do it. Hopefully I never need it, but better to have the info and not need it than to need the info and not have it. Thank you.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I find my truck still starts hard even after following the priming procedure after changing the fuel filter. It was a little nerve wracking the first time but just give it a couple trys and shell start right up.

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Moral of the story, don't run yer tank and fuel pump dry. We used to hook up air tanks on old M35A2 (Deuce and a half, fer the non service folks), and push fuel through system to get primed. Had to do same on those POS 6.2 AM (Humvee) motors to get primed. Always one dang soldier (insert proper name for service) that just not pay attention and run them tanks dry. Always one on every friggin exercise I have ever been on in military, just saying...

FWIW, when I had my ED, do to design of fuel system and fuel pump, I never let tank go below 1/4 full do to how fuel is pumped and how pump was primed and cooled...

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
I find my truck still starts hard even after following the priming procedure after changing the fuel filter. It was a little nerve wracking the first time but just give it a couple trys and shell start right up.

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

I know what you mean. I remember the first time I did a fuel filter change on my 2010... was a pretty long crank and rough start but everything was fine afterwards.

Mr.AK902

Reaction score
Ram Year
17'
Engine
Thank you Arth, Yes the GMC had a manual primer and I expected to find something similar on my RAM but I guess not. This video was perfect to explain how to do it. Hopefully I never need it, but better to have the info and not need it than to need the info and not have it. Thank you.
Ram HD's come factory with a lift pump, which is what you are cycling and self priming itself so to speak. The GM's don't have factory lift pumps, rather the manual pump under the hood.

saboken

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I keep a 5 Gallon Yellow can in my bed just in case! I use it once a month and fill it with fresh Diesel