How to program the Trucks garage door opener

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Read the Trucks Owners Manual.
Read my garage door opener owners manual.
Searched this forum.
Searched another forum.

I'm usually pretty very slow to Anger but something about this pushed all of my buttons.
Walked away from it, 3 days in a row. Son gave up helping me after the 2nd day.

Finally, I just googled it and came across this youtube video.

Worked like a Charm.
The very first time.
Wife and Son laughed about it.

They have no idea how close to Death they came.

Last edited:

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Owners manual instructions worked first time on my 22. Both doors have rolling code openers.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I had issues with our rolling code opener on the first try, but was able to get it on the second. Glad you found a video that helped you. Thanks for posting it.

OP
OP
gofishn

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
I used my manual that came with the opener. 1st time success.
Alright
Alright
A L R I G H T !!

Going to make an appointment, TODAY, and get new Bi-focals.
I just love these 8 year old frames.

Stupid Doctors been giving me grief for 2 years to get my eyes checked.
maybe shut her up too.

TRK_GANG74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just got new bi-focals a few months ago so your no alone on that one. Hey you got it programmed and that’s all that matters.

Last edited:

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
Programming the openers is more dependent on the opener than the truck. We’ve have 3 Rams and a Dodge Journey all programmed to our openers. Ours is a 2 person job. They all required holding a handheld remote next to the buttons in the vehicles while tripping the learn button on the openers at the same time. Took many cuss words and a few adult beverages before we figured out the combination. BTW: Our openers are over 25 years old but still work just fine.

demech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It was a little confusing in the manual. It took up two pages and looked like two differing methods depending on the type of equipment. Finally figure out that I needed to do both pages in order. It was a two person job for me...

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I just got new glasses today, new ears last year so I can hear “her” sometimes
I had no trouble with the old door opener following the manual, but a new one was hard, but ok now
I have a new front door lock that has a remote, I wonder??????????

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Alright
Alright
A L R I G H T !!

Going to make an appointment, TODAY, and get new Bi-focals.
I just love these 8 year old frames.

Stupid Doctors been giving me grief for 2 years to get my eyes checked.
maybe shut her up too.
Don't know how old you are, but trust me, it only gets worse!

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 79514 miles

SaintlySins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I appreciated the first post and all that followed, not just for the info, but the laughs.

The timing was perfect as I'm leasing a place and could not for the life of me get the F'ing Ram Home Garage Door System to work on any of the three doors of this house!

This thread helped a lot.

Thank you all!

Craig52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hope you park your truck in the garage! Most new vehicles don’t have Homelink (or the like) for a reason. If you ever park your car/truck outside it may allow a thief quick and easy access to your home.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I never got the Homelink in my 2013 Laramie to work with either of my garage doors. The 2015, both doors were programmed to the HomeLink on the first try. I have not yet worked up the nerve to program the 2022, I decided to just clip on the door opener fob to the sun visor. I may give it an attempt today after watching the video.

Honestly, I think my failure are related to the Geni door openers than to the truck-mounted Homelink.

Last edited:

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hope you park your truck in the garage! Most new vehicles don’t have Homelink (or the like) for a reason. If you ever park your car/truck outside it may allow a thief quick and easy access to your home.
In the days before we had built in openers, we'd just have the clip to the visor openers. So six of one, half dozen of the other as far as that goes.

vic-hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi eTorgue
I think I spent multiple days ATTEMPTING to program my 2 rolling code doors by myself. Many trips up the latter, especially for my RV garage door. As I read the manual it looked like a one step process but was really 2. I would get one door to work and as I tried the 2nd door I would loose the first one (and no I was not holding the 2 outside buttons). Once I followed both steps it finally worked. Boy were my legs tired climbing that latter for the RV door.

Craig52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In the days before we had built in openers, we'd just have the clip to the visor openers. So six of one, half dozen of the other as far as that goes.
Yep…and back in the day we used to leave our front door unlocked. Good luck

MTRamFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Coroner's office needs job security.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Homelink is better than a remote clipped to the visor. Homelink doesn't work unless the truck is running or at least has power to the ACC. The remotes are always live.

As far as getting it to connect, same system in the 2020 Grand Cherokee as the 2021 Ram, both connected just fine. I have four doors with 15 year old openers and one with the modern, 3 year old, Gennie side pull for the car lift clearance. No issues with either, one man job for me. (Check the door opening buttons on the garage wall, a lot of them have a learn button on them so you don't have to press the one on the actual opener. No ladder required)