How to protect chrome?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, just picked up my new LongHorn with tons of Chrome for bugs to attack. What is the best way to protect it?

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I used a wax, paste wax....but best deal is to always wash it right after it gets bombed with bugs.

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Use whatever sealant you used on the paint. Less bugs will stick and it will make it much easier to clean the bugs off. As mentioned, you always want to rinse or wash the bugs off as soon as possible.

gixxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I use Wolfgang exterior trim sealant then after maxima sc1. It forms a slick barrier and bugs don’t stick much at all. Both work great independently but combined it just makes wiping the bugs off so much easier.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
3M Chrome and Metal Polish is the best I have used

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Ceramic. I wax the crap out of mine and bugs stick to it like crazy. I regularly wash and use high quality products and bugs still stick

Mods: EGR matte black bug deflector, Westin HDX drop steps, rough county bull bar with 20” LED, custom made NW seat covers in real tree camo, husky liner mats, husky liner mud guards, undercover LUX tonneau cover, Tailgate assist, flowmaster super 40 with resonators, tinted 15% front, LED C shaped tail lights. Line-X 5.7’ box

OP
OP
A

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I ended up deciding to go with ceramic across the whole truck. Dropping it off tomorrow.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^ I've never talked to anyone that has regretted the decision to get ceramic coating. Don't forget the pics when it's done.
Jay

OP
OP
A

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^ I've never talked to anyone that has regretted the decision to get ceramic coating. Don't forget the pics when it's done.
Jay

Will def get some. They are actually taking a video of my truck as they do it for their new youtube channel. After it done, the front is getting wrapped in clear bra.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That is what I did to my Sports----sure saves from rock chips and makes the bugs come off a lot better--love the coating also.
Jay

OP
OP
A

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is what I did to my Sports----sure saves from rock chips and makes the bugs come off a lot better--love the coating also.
Jay

I was going to just get the 3M but he gave me a price for the whole package that made it a no brainer. Plus I am horrible at keeping the truck clean, so this should be a huge benefit to when I can clean it.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
While not the end all to routine maintenance of your paint(regular washing etc.) the coating will go a long way protecting the paint from the elements. I think you'll be happy with the outcome.
Jay