How to reset the stored messsage of tail light out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 14 currently says left tail is out. In actuality it is working fine. Over the last year or so I've had the message off and on, but it always corrects itself. The only thing that happens is that my left turn blinker does a fast blink that mimics that the bulb is out, but as I said the light is working fine.

I'm sure there is some kind of impendence issue fooling the computer to think the bulb is out. Because it always corrects itself I haven't taken the fixture apart yet to check all the connections and grounds.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Really? That is terrible design / user experience.

Did you ever take a close look at your 3rd brake light on the roof of the cab,it'll also show up as a taillight bulb out.

autumnwalker

Reaction score
Did you ever take a close look at your 3rd brake light on the roof of the cab,it'll also show up as a taillight bulb out.
Nope, I didn't. I clearly saw the right tail light out on the photo which was the tail light with the issue so I assumed the image on the cluster corresponded with the bulb.

My old 2004 Saab 9-3 would tell me, specifically, which bulb was out so I assumed a 2015 RAM would do the same!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Nope, I didn't. I clearly saw the right tail light out on the photo which was the tail light with the issue so I assumed the image on the cluster corresponded with the bulb.

My old 2004 Saab 9-3 would tell me, specifically, which bulb was out so I assumed a 2015 RAM would do the same!

Did you get the issue fixed?

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I will pull the bulbs tomorrow. The dealer I bought the truck from replaced the bulb. I don’t think they are led. Do oem tailights have led bulbs? 2016 Bighorn.

I will say this. I started the truck today and it said no stored messages. But within a few seconds it came back on.

only the higher end trucks have true led taillights and projector headlights

OP
OP
P

pontiac69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well it looks like I fixed mine. The stored message was there more often than not. Today as my son was driving away it appeared the 3rd brake like was out. Sure enough it had a semi broken filament in the 3rd brake light bulb. I replaced the bulb with a. New 921 and all fixed.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Well it looks like I fixed mine. The stored message was there more often than not. Today as my son was driving away it appeared the 3rd brake like was out. Sure enough it had a semi broken filament in the 3rd brake light bulb. I replaced the bulb with a. New 921 and all fixed.

Take a look at post #12 way back on June 20th,lol. Took you almost 3 weeks to finally listen,lol.Some of us do have a little bit of working knowledge with the 4th Gens,and it's usually in your best interest to at least check out what we're telling you,i think I told you 3 times to look at your 3rd brake light,lol

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Take a look at post #12 way back on June 20th,lol. Took you almost 3 weeks to finally listen,lol.Some of us do have a little bit of working knowledge with the 4th Gens,and it's usually in your best interest to at least check out what we're telling you,i think I told you 3 times to look at your 3rd brake light,lol

Ah c’mon Rick, we don’t know ****! Lol

OP
OP
P

pontiac69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It didn’t take me 3 weeks thank you. I didn’t have time to look at it and it wasn’t that important. But that day I had the time to look into it. Thanks for being you. Always good to come here and read positive advise.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It didn’t take me 3 weeks thank you. I didn’t have time to look at it and it wasn’t that important. But that day I had the time to look into it. Thanks for being you. Always good to come here and read positive advise.

********,you had time to swap bulbs around,but you didn't have time to step on or prop the brake pedal down and walk around the truck looking at lights.I call BS,lol.Doesn't take much to prop a brake pedal down and walk around the truck,or even look in the rear view mirror if you have a plate glass window behind you.Big windows can be your friend when it comes to checking the lights on the back of a vehicle.