How to trade-in/sell truck to dealership?

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First be honest with your self about your vehicle, research its value before you go into the dealer. As others have said, clean it up make it shine like a new nickel. Also research what you want to buy. Find out what your new vehicle is selling for in your area. When you go in to negotiate your purchase work it as a cash deal, no trade in. Once the purchase price is established, then introduce the trade. If they change the deal, or add on some odd charges, dont be afraid to walk. Keep the deal unemotional. Remember, you already have wheels they need to sell you a vehicle more than you want to buy one.
While I agree whole heartedly with this, unfortunately, that isn't the case today.
The market is so screwed up and the dealers and auto makers love it like this. This might be "the new normal" that certain people have said that we must get used to.

Currently, the dealers don't keep floor stock (at least in this part of the country) so they don't pay for a floor plan, sell the vehicles above MSRP if one is on the lot. If you order one then you can deal a little bit, but even most of those are close to MSRP.

Why wouldn't you keep it like this, as everyone but the consumer benefits??

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
While I agree whole heartedly with this, unfortunately, that isn't the case today.
The market is so screwed up and the dealers and auto makers love it like this. This might be "the new normal" that certain people have said that we must get used to.

Currently, the dealers don't keep floor stock (at least in this part of the country) so they don't pay for a floor plan, sell the vehicles above MSRP if one is on the lot. If you order one then you can deal a little bit, but even most of those are close to MSRP.

Why wouldn't you keep it like this, as everyone but the consumer benefits??

Because competition still exists, supply/demand curve is still a thing, and if customers truly value the well stocked dealership experience it will be a competitive advantage. If they don't value it, the Tesla model is likely to gain steam regardless of price. No different than any other brick/mortar vs online vendor decision.

That said, I'm ordering my truck. 3% under invoice for Ford, 6% under invoice for CJDR is not terribly difficult to find if you're willing to travel a bit.

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
4 words: Lipstick on a pig

Clean her up, slap a dress on her, pat her on the ass and send it on the way to the dealer. Not your problem anymore. I know what you mean about the concern with the private party so disclose it. Likely you’ll still end up ahead Cash wise but it might take a while to sell, or not….today’s market is a crapshoot.

If it were me, I’d take it to a Carmax. They don’t check as detailed as one might think And look for obvious signs. We’ve sold two cars to them in the last two years and it’s amazing the money we got.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Because competition still exists, supply/demand curve is still a thing, and if customers truly value the well stocked dealership experience it will be a competitive advantage. If they don't value it, the Tesla model is likely to gain steam regardless of price. No different than any other brick/mortar vs online vendor decision.

That said, I'm ordering my truck. 3% under invoice for Ford, 6% under invoice for CJDR is not terribly difficult to find if you're willing to travel a bit.
I agree.
Sucks for people that need a car now - like my wife's cousin who totalled her 2012 accord hitting a deer.
Sure she got almost $13k for it, but you can't buy a used car of similar vintage with under 100k miles for that amount and you can't get a new car (unless really loaded) because they just aren't on the lots. Though in all fairness she is picky on what she wants, and her budget and wants are arguing with each other lol.
Many dealers here are charging $2k over msrp for a car on the lot.

I said to travel to get one :)

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Many dealers here are charging $2k over msrp for a car on the lot.

I said to travel to get one :)
THIS.

I went out of state and saved thousands. Even with the hassle of a smog check on a new truck, VIN check and scaled weight, minor issues there for me to save so much money. AND, the local truck I had Looked at did not have everything I wanted. So, I got the truck I wanted and saved a ton, yup.

mb33458

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 etorque
THIS.

I went out of state and saved thousands. Even with the hassle of a smog check on a new truck, VIN check and scaled weight, minor issues there for me to save so much money. AND, the local truck I had Looked at did not have everything I wanted. So, I got the truck I wanted and saved a ton, yup.
I have a friend who did this. I think he saved some cash but more importantly he got the truck he wanted. Flew out to the Dallas Tx, and then drove his new truck (GMC) home.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I have a friend who did this. I think he saved some cash but more importantly he got the truck he wanted. Flew out to the Dallas Tx, and then drove his new truck (GMC) home.

I'm lucky enough to live in easy driving distance of three airports, one a major domestic/international hub. If I'm not picky on the day/time/seat I fly in I can get about anywhere there's a car deal for $150-ish one way or less. If I'm real sweet and show a little leg, I may even get a free upgrade and get to sit inside the plane instead of on the wing, but I get there regardless.

And, hell, it's fun. When I was a kid I would never have imagined I could fly somewhere basically whenever I got the notion to. I get it's no big deal for many people (and you can tell, since they dress like they are going to Wal-mart at 3am because they are out of laundry soap) but I still dress up a little for the "special occasion" of having a big metal tube take me somewhere through the sky.

Hydrasport23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you want another truck then try to sell the camper shell first. Have the truck detailed and trade it in. In my state, you don't pay sales tax on the amount of the trade-in. No need to put much money in a truck if you just want to get rid of it and get another truck.
Are you sure it's a cam/lifter issue? If you rev it over 3000 rpm and no cel, it's sounds more like an exhaust bolt issue. If you have slack in the valvetrain, it's gonna set a code for misfire.
I also have a 2013 and like the truck but had the same issues you are seeing with yours. For less than $2000, I replaced the cam and lifters, oil pump, deleted the MDS, replaced all rotors and pads with Powerstop components and replaced the front wheel bearings and ball joints. Added shorty headers but that was not really an improvement. That's been over two years ago and I'm still happy with the truck and the tag/taxes are only $25 a year now. A newer truck would be close to $1000 just to put a tag on it.

Ratman6161

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
4 words: Lipstick on a pig

Clean her up, slap a dress on her, pat her on the ass and send it on the way to the dealer. Not your problem anymore. I know what you mean about the concern with the private party so disclose it. Likely you’ll still end up ahead Cash wise but it might take a while to sell, or not….today’s market is a crapshoot.

If it were me, I’d take it to a Carmax. They don’t check as detailed as one might think And look for obvious signs. We’ve sold two cars to them in the last two years and it’s amazing the money we got.
I think this is great advice. You have a duty (probably a legal obligation depending on where you live) to disclose known defects. But a dealer is supposed to know better. Last time I traded in an older truck, I cleaned it up the best I could then took it to the dealership. I just told them "there's my trade in, tell me what you will give me for it" without making any representations about it. They came back with a number and it was close to what I had predicted so I accepted it. All without making any statements about the old truck other than "there it is".

Later I saw it for sale on their web site. This was a 7 year old Nissan Frontier with 115,000 miles on it. When I traded it, there were a few things I knew it needed...but that was their problem once they accepted it. If I didn't like the number they offered I could have just declined, then had it fixed and sold it myself. Never hurts to take it in and get the numbers. "Low ball offer"? Well, weather they sell it or auction it off to someone else who sells it, someone is going to need to fix it and that cost is going to get factored into any deal.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Check the laws in your State the DMV is a good place to start
If you do not make documentation on the bill of sale as to the condition of the vehicle being “AS IS” you may be liable for the repairs.

If you are buying a new vehicle then it is possible to make money at the dealership if you have removed all “add ons” and have your truck detailed inside and out before you offer it up for sale. Even to go as far as painting the windshield wiper arms and visit or have a mobile “color match” touch up the paint on the exterior as well as the interior..

Trucks are still a valuable commodity especially in other countries another route to consider is a vehicle is actually worth more in parts than whole.

One last thing to consider is where did you have your truck serviced?
Do you leave it anywhere questionable ?
If you are a loyal patron of a service center or repair shop, you may want a second opinion on the condition and any mechanical repairs or service you have paid for in the recent past.

Don’t be embarrassed if you believe you have been duped because it is not part of human nature to be distrustful.

Repairs to a used truck that you know the history of can be less expensive than one you never seen before , sometimes even in time lost with a new vehicle and the hassle of waiting for a recall or TSB that should have been done correctly the first time.