How to trade-in/sell truck to dealership?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
When you ask if you should wash it, I am thinking a 6 yrs old would ask that.
You are going to get a **** poor offer I would think.
Dealers don't want a bunch of add ons, I will not buy a truck like that.
I think it will end up at a auction sale, if you find a dealer that wants it.

PS , if you want a new truck, now would be the time to tyrade it in, you may get a fair price for it.
Other brands will know what to look for, unless he a new guy, but they don't use new guys to check out trades from what I see.

Last edited:

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All I can say is Carma, what goes around comes around, Buyer beware of your polished poke a dot Pig!!!

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ask a question and never come back?
Did not like the answers I guess. Bye.

Maryland_Man

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT
Clean it up and place a for sale sign with phone number. Park in lots at big box home improvement stores. Preferably, first row close to contractor's entrance/exit

Last edited:

JCE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi Everyone!

I will be selling my 2013 truck, 120k miles as it's quickly developing a whole bunch of issues... lifters/cam knocking sounds, brake system pulsating, transmission doesn't shift to D/R quick anymore.

I decided to trade it in, or sell it to a dealership because i can't look into eyes of private buyer and lie to them that it's a good truck. It will be very expensive to fix it all, and i'm also afraid they will try to get back at me. I bought a few cars at dealership and familiar with the negotiations game, but never sold/trade-in car to dealership before.

A few questions:

1. My truck developed knocking (cam/lifters) in the past month. No CEL yet. It's very light knocking so far, but if you listen to engine, or rev it, you can clearly hear it.

What does dealer do when you take your truck for sale or trade in? Do they have their mechanic evaluate the truck? How thoroughly do they inspect it before giving you an offer?

2. I also have "service brake system" light come on 1-2 times per week, then it goes away. I checked with my basic OBD bluetooth scanner, and didn't see any codes show up. Will dealer check with their advanced code reader for any codes/issues before giving me offer?

3. I have a few nice add-ons on my truck: Morimoto XB led headlights/tail lights, ARE contractor truck cap, yakima rack, PPE larger capacity transmission pan, heavy duty TufTruck rear coil springs to carry heavy loads - while these items would be very attractive to private buyers, especially at $3-4k contractor cap, does dealership consider any of these items in their offer?

4. Should i consider selling the ARE truck cap separately and trade-in without it, as dealership will not pay me anything extra for it?

4. My truck is very dirty... and has a few scratches around. Should i waste time washing it or it wont matter for what dealership will offer me for it?

5. I didn't decide if i want to trade-in for another Ram, or if i will buy another brand truck.

What are my better chances? If i take my truck for trade-in at e.g. Toyota dealership, is there a less chance they will know about the Lifter/knocking issue and will not try to give me lower price because of this issue?
OR - should i sell my truck to Ram dealership, and then go and just buy another brand truck after that?

My main concern is that dealership will want to REALLY low-ball me because they will know it's a Cam/Lifter issue. Or how does this work when you trade in truck with potential issues???

Any help is greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!
Soooooo...you want to scam the dealer by lying/omitting condition information? I know we all hate dealerships but morality shouldn’t be dismissed just because the other party is unscrupulous. If a sales person or used car Mgr takes in something broken like your truck and they paid full price for it assuming they are unaware those repairs will be needed they could lose their job.

Bad form mate.

OP
OP
Kap1

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
So all went well, sold it to Carmax at $12500 couple of months ago. I had it detailed but it really didn't seem to matter with carmax as they give you a price even before you bring it to them. Carmax sales rep did a thorough 15 min walk through and also test drive but didn't know what a bad lifter sound like, or didn't care...

And no, I don't feel guilty AT All... Let those dealers have it. I'm shocked that a couple of you actually criticizing me selling my broken truck to a dealer. You would do it too in a heartbeat to get rid of it. And don't tell me you'll open your mouth during the sale to disclose every issue with your 10 years old truck and take off 90% of your trucks value because you want to be honest to the dealer. .. LOL they'll pay me nothing but will still sell the truck to someone for full price.

Truck went to auction and smaller dealer near LA still has my truck on their lot for $18k.

JCE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You would do it too in a heartbeat to get rid of it. And don't tell me you'll open your mouth during the sale to disclose every issue

I would and have. In fact I’ve been brutally honest before and still got a good offer. I’m not sorry I have integrity.

Last edited:

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
And no, I don't feel guilty AT All... Let those dealers have it. I'm shocked that a couple of you actually criticizing me selling my broken truck to a dealer. You would do it too in a heartbeat to get rid of it. And don't tell me you'll open your mouth during the sale to disclose every issue with your 10 years old truck and take off 90% of your trucks value because you want to be honest to the dealer. .. LOL they'll pay me nothing but will still sell the truck to someone for full price.
And that's why I tend to stay away from buying used vehicles unless I'm familiar with its history. Most will be fine, but you never know when you might be buying someone else's problems.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
You asked this in Sept, now just read the posts? I said wash the truck , what the hell is wrong with that, not that I care. I always got top dollar when trading, because spent a day cleaning it up , inside, and out side.
But if that bugs you , Too bad.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
And no, I don't feel guilty AT All... Let those dealers have it. I'm shocked that a couple of you actually criticizing me selling my broken truck to a dealer. You would do it too in a heartbeat to get rid of it. And don't tell me you'll open your mouth during the sale to disclose every issue with your 10 years old truck and take off 90% of your trucks value because you want to be honest to the dealer. ..
Hiding problems is a **** move. You wouldn't want them passed on to you without knowing. Fix it or disclose it or be a ****. You're call.

I would because my integrity matters to me and I'm not an ******* willing to stick someone else with my issues. You "stuck" it to a dealership, and if they are like you they will "stick it" to some unsuspecting customer, which you weren't willing to do because you were afraid it would come back on you per your original post. You're willing to **** somebody, but only second hand.

Moderators should ban you from the classifieds here before you **** over a member, and I'll go ahead and preemptively ignore you in case they don't so I don't accidentally do business with you in the future.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
And that's why I tend to stay away from buying used vehicles unless I'm familiar with its history. Most will be fine, but you never know when you might be buying someone else's problems.

Dude should be banned from the classifieds if he thinks its fine to sell broken things without disclosure, JMO.

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Lifters/cam knocking sounds, brake system pulsing, slow to shift D/R
These are all things the trade in manager will find when he does his evaluation and test drive. Now, if he knows that the truck will be going to auction he's simply going to take the Black Book $$ value of said truck vintage and mileage and throw a number at you. And as you said, it's someone else's problem.

When I go to buy a vehicle I need to do my due diligence and find the problems myself. A good eye, rough and purposeful test drive, detailed questions, and product knowledge can coax many an issue into daylight. It's buyer beware, always has been.

Rest assured, the dealer didn't lose any money on your deal.

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The service brake system could be as simple as it needing some fluid so you may be able to fix that for a few bucks.

When you trade it in they usually just take it for a spin and look it over but with 120K miles as it will just be sold to a wholesaler or go to auction.

It wont matter what dealer you bring it to, they get trade ins on other types of vehicles daily.
Im not sure why you are worrying about how much you willl get, you said it has many issues you dont want to spend money on to fix. However, if you are there to buy a new vehicle with trading that one in, in normal times you will get low balled anyways.
They make more money on used cars than they do the new ones so it narrows down to what you are willing to accept vs how much ypou might spend to fix it.

Also Carvana usually offers the most and they give you a price before even looking at the vehicle so try that before they go under lol. Yes you will be selling them a problem car so that could weigh on you and its probably why they are going to go under.

OP
OP
Kap1

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
I would because my integrity matters to me and I'm not an ******* willing to stick someone else with my issues. You "stuck" it to a dealership, and if they are like you they will "stick it" to some unsuspecting customer, which you weren't willing to do because you were afraid it would come back on you per your original post. You're willing to **** somebody, but only second hand.

Moderators should ban you from the classifieds here before you **** over a member, and I'll go ahead and preemptively ignore you in case they don't so I don't accidentally do business with you in the future.
OK Mr integrity, it's great to criticize others on the online forum, but when it would be YOUR wallet and YOUR money then I'm 100% sure you would trade in broken truck just like everyone else to get paid the most for it without any trouble.

And don't tell me that you'd sell it to a private party as a "project" truck and disclose everything like "great truck, lifters and camshaft needs to be replaced, which is $6k if you get lucky and don't need a new engine, oh an the transmission sometimes doesn't go into Drive so you may need to get a new one, and by the way, brake system showed service message and is pulsating. But don't worry, I took meticulous care of this truck, babyed it always, used Redline oil, changed transmission fluid every 50k miles and have all new brakes rotors with new fluid already"

A 14k blue book value will be down to $1k after you disclose these issues, but hey you'll have your "integrity", congratulations.

If anything, I'd blame Chrysler for not resolving issues with the camshaft/lifters and sticking ram owners with having to pay out of pocket for these fixes. I'm not going to be left holding the bag with truck that fell apart on me after easy 120k miles.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
10 yr old truck will be sent straight to auction. It will then end up on a “Buy Here, Pay Here” lot. It will have a miserably short life afterward and then be turned into a fresh batch of coat hangers in Burma…