How to trade-in/sell truck to dealership?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maryland_Man

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT
I used KBB and Edmunds to get estimates on what my trade-ins would be worth. There are sections where you self rate the vehicle condition. For a severe condition, they instruct you to take the average value and subtract the repair estimate. I also gave the dealership the VIN numbers prior to sales meeting, so they could conduct their own independent research. Finally, they took both the truck and car for physical inspection.

Turns out I got what I researched the trade ins would be worth. In conclusion, buying a new car or truck these days is like being in a one-legged ass kicking contest, on ice, in the dark.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
OK Mr integrity, it's great to criticize others on the online forum, but when it would be YOUR wallet and YOUR money then I'm 100% sure you would trade in broken truck just like everyone else to get paid the most for it without any trouble.

And don't tell me that you'd sell it to a private party as a "project" truck and disclose everything like "great truck, lifters and camshaft needs to be replaced, which is $6k if you get lucky and don't need a new engine, oh an the transmission sometimes doesn't go into Drive so you may need to get a new one, and by the way, brake system showed service message and is pulsating. But don't worry, I took meticulous care of this truck, babyed it always, used Redline oil, changed transmission fluid every 50k miles and have all new brakes rotors with new fluid already"

A 14k blue book value will be down to $1k after you disclose these issues, but hey you'll have your "integrity", congratulations.

If anything, I'd blame Chrysler for not resolving issues with the camshaft/lifters and sticking ram owners with having to pay out of pocket for these fixes. I'm not going to be left holding the bag with truck that fell apart on me after easy 120k miles.
no, not everyone, would hide the faults and try to get every penny.
Most, I would agree, but never everyone.
And, that $14k down to $1K valuation thing....only let's EVERYONE know, $13k exceeds the personal Value of your Integrity.

Not everyone plays in the same financial playground or even places a high value on materialistic things.

No need to reply, i will never see it.

Last edited: