How to turn off truck bed light when unlocking?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
Is there a way that you can stop the bed light from coming on when you unlock the doors?

I looked in the setting function but I didn't see anything.

Thanks

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I'm curious, why would you want to? That's the only way you can turn the lights on unless you go into the truck first.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
I'm curious, why would you want to? That's the only way you can turn the lights on unless you go into the truck first.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

The truck bed light goes on when you use the key fob to unlock the doors.

I don't need the light to be on, so I was wondering if there was a way to stop that.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Unlock the door with the key. As in insert the key and turn it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all, new member. Nice to meet y'all.

As far as settin' your truck up to not light up the cargo light upon unlocking with your key fob, unless a dealer can turn it off with their computer, you're pretty much stuck with it unless you wanna bypass the factory switch and throw in an aftermarket switch. That might work.

I'm not familiar with the 2016's, but in my 2008, the cargo light switch is in the same module as the headlight switch. If yours is like that too, get your test light and multimeter out and trace the wire.

I'm kinda with everyone else though, why do you want to disable it? It's kinda like with your interior lights coming on too, it's a security feature to help you see if anyone is hiding in your bed. Lol.

olbedhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Laramie Crew Cab 6'4"
Engine
Ecodiesel
wondered the same thing

I actually wondered the same thing. It just feels really bright when it comes on. I like the concept of it being a security feature but sometimes you just want to get something out of a locked truck without blasting everyone with light like at a campground or something.

I like the key idea. I'll try that.

dingo7285

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has there been any solutions to this? I like having the light on every day use, but when camping I hate the fact that every time I open a door or unlock the truck the stupid light comes on lighting up the forest. You can turn off the inside dome lights by turning down the dimmer knob, you can also override the cargo lights to turn them off once their on with the cargo light button, but there doesn't seem to over ride them all the time.
I'm thinking of installing an override switch, does anyone know if there is a way to do this near the dash. maybe changing out the cargo light switch with an on/off switch instead of a momentary as installed by Ram. Its annoying have to throw a towel over the light every time I go camping or any other time I'm going "low profile"...

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
With all the useless stuff on these trucks I don't think a no lights no horn when you unlock the truck or open the door option is too much to ask. We don't all need to be seen and heard all the time.

r56ranch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I want to be able to open the door and be as lights out dark as possible. I idle into a spot in the woods to stop and sneak out down a trail before daylight and do to want lights and chimes giving me away.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With all the useless stuff on these trucks I don't think a no lights no horn when you unlock the truck or open the door option is too much to ask. We don't all need to be seen and heard all the time.

My 18- no longer have the 08.. I can go within the Uconnect settings and set it so the horn or the lights come on when it locks/unlocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has there been any solutions to this? I like having the light on every day use, but when camping I hate the fact that every time I open a door or unlock the truck the stupid light comes on lighting up the forest. You can turn off the inside dome lights by turning down the dimmer knob, you can also override the cargo lights to turn them off once their on with the cargo light button, but there doesn't seem to over ride them all the time.
I'm thinking of installing an override switch, does anyone know if there is a way to do this near the dash. maybe changing out the cargo light switch with an on/off switch instead of a momentary as installed by Ram. Its annoying have to throw a towel over the light every time I go camping or any other time I'm going "low profile"...

Trial and error. Get you the tiniest push-button switch you can find, and mount it somewhere near the headlight switch. Then, get a multi-meter/test-light and figure out which wire from the headlight switch feeds the cargo light and splice it into that switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gabe Brewington

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In my 2019, the cargo light is connected with the interior dome light. If the interior dome lights are off, the cargo light will not come on.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In my 2019, the cargo light is connected with the interior dome light. If the interior dome lights are off, the cargo light will not come on.

Define off...

I tried that with mine, turning the interior lights complete off with the rotary dial switch but as soon as I opened the door, the cargo and bed lights turned on.

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 19 classic Bighorn has a oem weatherproof switch on drivers side below the bed light that shuts off cargo and bed lights! Finally!!!
The 17 WhytRam Bighorn had no such feature

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I know it's possible to turn the cab third brake light off with AlfaOBD, someone on here did that since he has a cap on the bed. I wonder if it's possible to disable the cargo light also.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I get it.Sneaking off to see the mistress you want a silent unlock, neutral roll down the street and no lights. Roll back in from the high side of the street and nobodys the wiser come morning.:cool:

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I want to be able to open the door and be as lights out dark as possible. I idle into a spot in the woods to stop and sneak out down a trail before daylight and do to want lights and chimes giving me away.
Well that doesn't sound sketchy at all.