How to Upgrade your factory LED rear dome light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well it did NOT go like his video. Put everything in just like he did, installed it into the truck and the dome light stayed on door open or closed and my front map lights wouldn’t turn on. Took everything back out and tested the 3 wires from the dome light plug on the truck. Middle yellow wire and black wire were the wires I used. I reinstalled the dome light with the leds and just hard wired the red/black from the leds to the yellow/black wires on the factory dome light plug. All is well and bright now.

U1arunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well it did NOT go like his video. Put everything in just like he did, installed it into the truck and the dome light stayed on door open or closed and my front map lights wouldn’t turn on. Took everything back out and tested the 3 wires from the dome light plug on the truck. Middle yellow wire and black wire were the wires I used. I reinstalled the dome light with the leds and just hard wired the red/black from the leds to the yellow/black wires on the factory dome light plug. All is well and bright now.

Cool thanks for the heads up. I was wondering about John's install because he said in the video that he killed the voltage regulator/limiter and then did the install that way. SO you just bypassed the board all together? Does the push button switch still work as intended when wired like you did?

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cool thanks for the heads up. I was wondering about John's install because he said in the video that he killed the voltage regulator/limiter and then did the install that way. SO you just bypassed the board all together? Does the push button switch still work as intended when wired like you did?
Yes sir. Everything works. Plugged in the factory dome light and hard wired the led panels.

OP
OP
Boosted Motorsports

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Yeah I would poke around with a test light and find a different power source like mentioned but where I pulled power from seemed to work. I'm probably going to do a followup video and connect it to a different power source on the circuit board here soon. If you connect it directly to the power wires for the dome light then you lose the switch functionality so power has to be taken from the board after the switch :)

U1arunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah I would poke around with a test light and find a different power source like mentioned but where I pulled power from seemed to work. I'm probably going to do a followup video and connect it to a different power source on the circuit board here soon. If you connect it directly to the power wires for the dome light then you lose the switch functionality so power has to be taken from the board after the switch :)
This weekend I will be doing this install. Why are you going to re-do yours, John? Having problems with it?

U1arunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well I did the LEDs install on the front overhead console and it's sweet. Moving to the rear I had removed and tore apart the whole lamp down to the circuit board and was like... ummmm... I have no idea where to connect the wires unless I do it like John did and bypass/blow the regulator so I decided to wait for more info on the rear lamp re-do from John. I tried the method from VB712 above and the switch lost function so that is a no go for me as my kid will be in the back asking me to turn the lamp on and with the fronts that bright it will blind me at night while driving. John... Help...? LOL!!

OP
OP
Boosted Motorsports

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the center over head in the express. Would I be able to do this to that light as well.

Its even easier to do this on your express! You can just install these panels and plug in the little adapters they supply. You won't have to bust out the soldering iron like those of us with factory LED interior lights :D

bryce88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

U1arunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
John did you get to re-do this install so we don't have to blow the resistor to install the panels?

kp4243

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What is the part number for the factory LED interior dome light assembly?