HOW TO UPGRADE YOUR STANDARD DASH TO A LEATHER ONE

circuitguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Tradesman Regular Cab
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Pin 7 at the base/hinge of the lid's 8 pin connector.
My suggestion would be to cut it on the truck side and splice in a new wire to run to the back of the trailer brake switch connector (pin ?) to get the Panel Lamps Driver signal.

On the 18 (19 classic) trucks, the Pnl Lamp Driver signal is at the i410A pin 9 under the seat but despite tech authority/DCCtools connector info, I don't think that exists on the 13-17 trucks (trailer switch always had the signal & is the next closest spot).

You must be registered for see images attach

M² Mods.

To the rescue!

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie QC (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L eTorque
I had looked this up for someone else that got my original 18 console lid. The 18/19 schematics still didn't show the Panel Lamps driver wiring at pins 7 & 8 last time I checked. I added the info once I had the lid out and traced the wiring in it.

M² Mods.

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L eTorque
PS:
I have a list of several 2018 console lid PNs/styles in the UAQ upgrade thread post 5.

M² Mods.

Last edited:

sawz

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
mpgrimm2 and circuitguy as always thank you for the fantastic information. I'll take a look at the i401A plug in my 2015 to see if the wiring is there on pin 9.

Killerb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram 2500
Nice job circuit guy..I am curious into doing this myself after seeing this post I have a few questions concerning the trim colors. Is the replacement dash you have gray or black? From the pics looks like it matches your glove box which is gray?
Also the trim panel for the instrument cluster doesn't look the same for the new Dash right by the ignition switch am I missing something? Could you possibly post a few more pics of the trim by the cluster?

circuitguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Tradesman Regular Cab
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The dash is black, glove box also black. The trim panel around the cluster was ordered in black but it arrived several shades off, more of a grey. I have a replacement for it just have not had time to install it.

Once I install the new cluster bezel I will post a few pics for you.

Last edited:

Killerb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram 2500
The dash is black, glove box also black. The trim panel around the cluster was ordered in black but it arrived several shades off, more of a grey. I have a replacement for it just have not had time to install it.

One I install the new cluster bezel I will post a few pics for you.

Sounds good, thx

48PowerWagon

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
*sigh* yet another part to add to my Dual Zone ATC upgrade, you guys and your tradesman, your killing my freetime couldn't you get 'em as PW TM's?
(just pok'n fun without you guys we wouldn't know half the mods we do...)

CoZo6

2017 Brilliant Black 4x4 Big Horn 5.7 Hemi
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pin 7 at the base/hinge of the lid's 8 pin connector.
My suggestion would be to cut it on the truck side and splice in a new wire to run to the back of the trailer brake switch connector (pin 8) to get the Panel Lamps Driver signal.

On the 18 (19 classic) trucks, the Pnl Lamp Driver signal is at the i410A pin 9 under the seat but despite tech authority/DCCtools connector info, I don't think that exists on the 13-17 trucks (trailer switch always had the signal & is the next closest spot).

PS:
I have a list of several 2018 console lid PNs/styles in the UAQ upgrade thread post 5.
M² Mods.
I wasn’t aware of that. But I do notice my usb hub lights are on when I happen to look see and the truck is off so I could use this “repair”. Do you know who has done this “repair” with some pictures?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L eTorque
I wasn’t aware of that. But I do notice my usb hub lights are on when I happen to look see and the truck is off so I could use this “repair”. Do you know who has done this “repair” with some pictures?
No one has reported back that they have done it/posted pictures.

Another new thought I had.... On some trucks, you could move one of the PDC fuses from one position, to another.... And change the 12v outlet from being hot all the time/direct off the battery to switched with the ACC position. Not sure if that pin 7 wire is on the same circuit or not... Online schematics weren't exactly correct. (The fuse option should be listed in the owners manual)

M² Mods.