How would you go about these desired mods?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My '15 Ram 1500 Hemi is out of warranty and it's time to deal with some annoyances. I'm NOT looking for horse power or torque gains, just better driving performance and ultimately better reliability.

1) Remove MDS.

2) Make the throttle more responsive.

I believe I would actually get better mileage with my driving style if the truck would just pay attention to what I want it to do. I hate that I have to mash the pedal to get a response.

In the distant past, I had a Ford and added a Super Chip. Not long after, I burned a valve while towing in the mountains. I'm a little gun shy now. I just want some basic improvements without risking reliability.

I had other things on my list but the "old timers" has kicked in. Oh well. :)

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
My '15 Ram 1500 Hemi is out of warranty and it's time to deal with some annoyances. I'm NOT looking for horse power or torque gains, just better driving performance and ultimately better reliability.

1) Remove MDS.

2) Make the throttle more responsive.

I believe I would actually get better mileage with my driving style if the truck would just pay attention to what I want it to do. I hate that I have to mash the pedal to get a response.

In the distant past, I had a Ford and added a Super Chip. Not long after, I burned a valve while towing in the mountains. I'm a little gun shy now. I just want some basic improvements without risking reliability.

I had other things on my list but the "old timers" has kicked in. Oh well. :)

6 speed or 8 speed?

Sent from iPhone 10S Max

OP
OP
billyw

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry. It's the 8 speed. Transmission is pretty responsive. Just the throttle that lags.

Plankton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How I went about those mods:

1. Tow Mode on (Edit: After doing some digging, I've found this to not be true, see the video posted below to actually turn MDS off using the gear buttons on the steering wheel).

2. Pedal Commander.

The Pedal Commander isn't a tuner like the SuperChip you mention, and Tow Mode for my '17 leaves MDS out of the equation. On long trips, just turn it off for better mpg.

Last edited:

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Pedal Commander will eliminate throttle lag instantly. Try Sport on 2 and get ready to smile.
You can disable MDS temporarily with tow/haul but that also changes your shift points.
I'd use the +/- button to put it in 8th, still disables MDS but trans shifts normal.

Plankton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pedal Commander will eliminate throttle lag instantly. Try Sport on 2 and get ready to smile.
You can disable MDS temporarily with tow/haul but that also changes your shift points.
I'd use the +/- button to put it in 8th, still disables MDS but trans shifts normal.

I was just checking on the validity of my statement up there^ lol and found this:

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Supposedly the Pulsar does that stuff and it's easy to remove if you need to bring the vehicle in for servicing and give a crap about what the dealer thinks.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pedal commander is the go to device your seeking! I turned my MDS off my the diablosport T2.

2015 has a locked PCM, way more trouble to program those. that's why the pulsar is a good option it doesn't write to the PCM

In any case I don't have any of those things as I'm satisfied with my truck's powertrain behavior as stock - everyone's got different wants and expectations.

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
go straight to a custom tune, you'll never be happier. It does everything you want and more. pulsar is a waste of money(my opinion)

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Leave the truck alone if you don't want to mess with it. If you want to play you gotta pay.
Pedal commander thing is $300 ? you can only change the pedal input rate with it.

You can do that alone with a pletora of other changes with Hptuners, and that will only cost you $399 :)
https://www.hptuners.com/mpvi2/

I remember i paid $799 for the Pro version back in 2006 and i'm still using the same device and ODB2 cable/USB cables from back then. Have tuned around 20 vehicles, some mine some from friends, some for friends of a friend. So talking about ROI it paid for itself plus it gave gave me money back. I have tuned my RAM and my wife Durango with it. They have had a new programming device for a while now MPVI2 so i think i'm going to upgrade just because they now support BT flashing (Don't know yet if the RAM is in there) but mostly cause my interface is 14 years old.

Also since you have a 2015 model you'll need to unlock your PCM, $249. Don't remember how much i paid for my 15 Chally Scatpack but i used HPTuners to unlock a PCM i bought from Ebay for $250 then later used to tune my car while the stock one remained in my garage. I still have that stock PCM somewhwere there in one my cabinets.lol

After you unlock your PCM, you can make as many changes you want, and change anyting you want. you'll have some learning to do of course but you can do so at your own peace it's not complicated. or you can let any tuner do the work for you.

Anyways that is what I would do if i was in the same shoes.

To give you an idea my 2014 only uses one table to control throttle input, My chally had 3 different ones if remember correctly

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/adjusting-your-ram-1500-throttle-response-with-hptuners.130720/

MDS is even easier. set the switch to off in the calibration save the file and flash it.

Have fun.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
PEDAL COMMANDER! It gets rid of the lag and makes the truck much more responsive all around. We have tons of customers here who use it and love it! Message me if you would like a quote on one.

Cwils80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I see a lot of different options here for you lol I personally have a custom tune, but I wanted hp and torque gains and a custom trans tune and all the fanciness. But I understand that doesn't work for you.

Here's my input. Tow mode will get rid of MDS. The +/- gear selector buttons set to 8 will also get rid of MDS. Both of those options are free! Pedal lag you'll have to spend money no matter what. Here are your options.

1. Pedal commamder
They run around $300 and just takes the throttle and turns up the sensitivity of the pedal. So let's say you push the throttle in 10% it may make the truck read 20% or more.

2. Pulsar
They run around $500 and do the same thing as the pedal commander without the "adjustability". But they turn off MDS and supposedly give some HP gains so those aren't bad pros for just a couple hundred more.

Now here's my honest opinion. I don't believe you can truely get rid of pedal lag. Plugging a device into the pedal isn't going to make the truck read the pedal faster and respond faster. It's going to give the "feeling" that it does by applying more throttle, but it's not going to make the truck read the pedal faster.

To me more horsepower is the answer. Fan clutch delete physically takes stress off the engine to allow it to spin up faster with less drag. A custom tune can do a plethera of different things to allow more "responsiveness" I can say that a good CAI will improve responsiveness aswell since more cold air is allowed into the engine over stock.

BUT of course take everything with a grain of salt and get all the knowledge you can from everyone and do what's best for you and your wallet. :)

big daddys house

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay, all the above information is awesome!
however, my personal opinion is the pedal commander is the best bang for the buck. Super easy install and you can change throttle response at a whim. That's what I started with. Then I added a can tune with Diablo and turn off MDS. this was much cheaper for me though because I had a 2014 and did not have to unlock my PCM.
The pedal commander is so much fun!
Have fun modding brother.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

big daddys house

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FYI guys, tow/haul does not turn off MDS with the 8-speed transmission.

GRN69CHV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FYI guys, tow/haul does not turn off MDS with the 8-speed transmission.

I didn't think it did either, Tow/Haul ECO light still comes on, which I assume means it's running in MDS.
I set the gear selector in 8th, MDS is off, runs ice and smooth. Running it in 8th with MDS turned off, I haven't noticed any difference in fuel consumption, and added bonus, it should keep the cylinders cleaner due to constant burn. 62,000 on the truck, not using oil, and oil is staying relatively clean in between 5000 mile oil changes.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Custom Tune is the way to go! Does make a difference in the overall drivability of the truck. Yes, you tuner can set anything up or you can just adjust the throttle response yourself on your tuner as well as shut off MDS.

OP
OP
billyw

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lots of great info! Yeah, I manually shift to 8 daily to shut off MDS, IF I REMEMBER. There's the rub. I just want it off, period. And I already knew that tow/haul didn't shut it off. I've read a fair amount of horror stories about Pedal Commander, and thought I'd like to understand the other options out there. I definitely understand that you can't get rid of the digital lag time, but you should be able to get rid of the that lag caused by the truck trying to conserve fuel and not actually doing anything as you slowly increase pressure on the throttle. There are enough instances where a quick squirt of throttle will get you what you need, but the truck just doesn't provide it unless you really goose it. It's just like trying to use the horn. You want a quick little beep to wake the guy in front of you, but you end up ******* off everybody around with a loud, long blast.

I will consult about tunes.

Appreciate all the good feedback!