Howdy! Just bought my first new used truck. Former mechanic and current union Ironworker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HighsteelIW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Howdy everyone,

I joined this forum for gaining some
knowledge on my truck and engine more specifically. I bought my first new used (new to me) ram 2500 tradesmen regular cab it’s got the 6.4L hemi in it. I’m a ironworker and it’s got a service body on it as I will be booming out and working across the United States next summer.
The truck is in really great shape and I got a really good deal on it. It’s got 92k on it and picked it up for 23,000.
In my past life I was a mechanic for quite sometime and got into ironworking about 6 years ago.
I was a former Chevy guy and I also own a 90 ram 150 with a 360 as well. I’m not too familiar with the ram community and how they view the 6.4. I use to work at a research facility where Chrysler brought all their prototypes there to be tested. I know a little bit about the 6.4. I know the 66re has some issues and fail points as well as the hemi tick.
I was wondering if anyone has any extensive knowledge on engine components for upgrading the valve train and other parts. I watched a episode on PowerNation where they upgraded a modern gen 3 hemi with upgraded valve train, cams and pistons as well as a high rise intake. I don’t want the high rise intake but, I would like to build the engine to address the common failure points and get it past the 500hp mark. I haven’t done too much digging into my truck but, I’m pretty sure it has the BGE block and it runs amazing.
Does anyone know of any current shops that are building parts for my year? And, sorry if this is a repeatedly asked question here. If anyone can point me in the right direction on this forum would be appreciated! 80E6F377-6A95-4589-8B3C-757612F5BC42.jpeg

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:welcome:

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of resources here when you search for the dreaded HEMI Valve Tick/knock and I’m always a fan of it ain’t broke, don’t fix it unless you just want to do the upgrade. I can’t point you to a specific thread but if you search the valve tick, I’m sure at the bottom of the page where similar threads come up you can start to read more and more. Welcome again!

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi and Welcome to the forum. Make sure and give a good read to the blackstone UOA thread and also the SYN Oil and Oil filter thread. Some of the best things we can do is ensure that lubrication is spot on and there is some great information out there.