Howes Diesel Treat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cws57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
Greetings all:
A couple of winter weather questions.
My neighbor drives a Ford F350 and swears by using Howes diesel treat at every tank full not just in winter. He claims 2 to 3 mpg increase in fuel mileage. Has anyone used this product???

Is there a winter temperature at which you would put on a radiator bar to reduce the amount of cold air passing through?

Reason I ask is I have to make a cross country trip there and back to Maine in January. I expect to see some pretty cold weather and want to be ready. I have purchase my heater cord and plan to plug it in each night as we move across the country.

Thanks....

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Here in WY it gets pretty chilly at times. Usually 2 weeks below 0, the rest flirt with 32.

My Bro-in-law swears by Howes also, but I go with power service for 1 reason.
upload_2020-12-20_19-3-16.png

As for the grille cover, I don't use it. I only plug in when temps get below 20. I have a remote plug that I can turn on about 3 hrs before I need to run the truck to go somewhere.

I also use the non-winter PS treatment every tank other than cold temps.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
I have used the white bottle Power Serve for many years,
this year I'm giving the Howes a shot.

As far as the radiator cover I use one all the time when it gets to 40F or lower,
the truck warms up better and gets better mileage.
If towing or running at high speed just monitor your temps as long as they don't get too high you are fine.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
As far as the radiator cover I use one all the time when it gets to 40F or lower,
the truck warms up better and gets better mileage.
If towing or running at high speed just monitor your temps as long as they don't get too high you are fine.
^^^ this
If you have the winter front with the flaps to close off the openings, close the uppers first and you probably won't have to close off the lowers until below 0°F
I run OptiLube XPD year-round https://opti-lube.com/diesel-fuel-additives/xpd-all-in-one-diesel-fuel-additives-red/

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I shouldn't do this, but pandemic boredom.......

Yes, radiator cover below 20F or so, or 30F if running biodiesel. Helpful to have modulation - zipper, snaps, louvers, whatever. Zip up as temp drops, or super cold days.

The infamous "Spicer Lubricity Test" of diesel fuel additives on BITOG measured lubricity only - not demulsification, cleanliness, cetane boost, etc.

Modern diesels aren't as concerned with lubricity as old pump-line-nozzle injection systems. Only the fuel transfer pump and pressure feed pump need to be lubricated - the injection pressure is developed by the area reduction of injector pintles and the velocity driven by the injection solenoids against the pintle hole diameters.

Regardless, fuel lubricity varies greatly around North America, unlike Europe and East Asia. There is no enforced API lubricity standard, only an Engine Builder's demand via EMA. Spicer Tests revealed soy-based biodiesel as best lubricity agent. #2 is Opti-Lube XPD. We use the Opti-Lube with confidence. Yes, Cummins now sponsors Power Service, but from what I remember it is solvent based with intent to clean injector nozzles, and that is all. Suggest you go to Opti-Lube site and read up. I have no vested interest in any of these brands, but I did work for Cummins for 22 years.