Hub conversion from 5 to 8 bolt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ranger_dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L
I have a 2016 Ecodiesel 4x4 and would like to not use adapters to run a set of 8 bolt wheels I have from a previous truck. Just wondering if there is a simple swap of parts that would allow a 8 bolt hub on the 1500 truck. I don't like the idea of adapters because I am worried they will push the wheels out to far from the truck, plus I'd rather do it the right way if possible. TIA.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
without a lot of custom work no. You’re only option is adapters or buy different wheels that are the right bolt pattern.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve looked for conversion hubs like jeeps have but the only hubs I know can fit are 6 lug hubs from a Chevy and the rear axles from a 5th gen ram should swap over and have the same bolt pattern which would give you 6x5.5 bolt pattern. Jeeps are solid axles though so a lot easier to find conversion hub kits

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It's the front axle that would be the most troublesome changing to an 8 bolt lug. A 6 bolt might be easier as the new DT body trucks use them.
Why do you want an 8 bolt lug pattern on a 1500? I know part of the reason why people do 10 bolt conversion on the HD trucks but not much to gain with an 8 bolt on a half ton other than looks.

OP
OP
R

ranger_dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L
It's the front axle that would be the most troublesome changing to an 8 bolt lug. A 6 bolt might be easier as the new DT body trucks use them.
Why do you want an 8 bolt lug pattern on a 1500? I know part of the reason why people do 10 bolt conversion on the HD trucks but not much to gain with an 8 bolt on a half ton other than looks.
Why? I already said that I was looking to use a set of wheels I already had. If it wasn't much work to swap out a hub, then I would do so rather than sell the wheels and buy some new ones. An added benefit would have been getting in there and seeing the condition of everything since I am not the original owner of this truck. I would have done it while upgrading suspension and doing other things to customize the truck. That's it, no real big reason, just thought if someone had figured out the process and it wasn't too difficult to do, I would give it a try.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Why? I already said that I was looking to use a set of wheels I already had.
sorry, my bad I read that and it didn't register. D'oh!
The front hubs on the 1500s can be greased, you pull the wheel speed sensor and pump the it in using a rubber tip on your grease gun.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
sorry, my bad I read that and it didn't register. D'oh!
The front hubs on the 1500s can be greased, you pull the wheel speed sensor and pump the it in using a rubber tip on your grease gun.
Really?
I thought they were sealed bearings and the sensor just read an external tone wheel.
I learned something today! Thank you crash :)

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Really?
I thought they were sealed bearings and the sensor just read an external tone wheel.
I learned something today! Thank you crash :)
I found out when my front passenger wheel speed sensor failed. I was getting weird grinding noises from the front passenger and the dash light came on. Was a very odd experience. When I pulled the wheel speed sensor I saw grease all over the tip of it and thought my wheel bearing crapped out

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Would have probably been my first thought too, just used to sealed bearing with external tone rings that came on everything forever haha